PDA

View Full Version : Fighting yourself

Bigwig
06-02-2005, 09:03 PM
The most difficult opponent in poker is yourself.

Last night, I was in a $50 with the following approximate stacks:

UTG (t5000)
HERO (t2000)
SB (t800)
BB (t2200)

UTG folds
Hero A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif raises to 2000 (all-in)

SB folds.

BB, total f****** JOPKE calls with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, catches a 5, and eliminates hero.

About 5 minutes later I folded AQo in another tournament near the bubble when it was a clear push. This hand was on my mind.

Sometimes it's hard when you're losing, but don't fight yourself.

smcannon
06-02-2005, 09:09 PM
That's poker bro. You made the right decision.

Bigwig
06-02-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's poker bro. You made the right decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know. My point is that I allowed my bad misfortune to affect my play. That's not good.

TStokes
06-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Only the right decision in the first hand. I get the same way sometimes also though. I try not to let it change how I play it is more of when im on a losing streak when I push and get called by a weaker hand I automatically think they are going to hit.

valenzuela
06-02-2005, 09:15 PM
ehhh..dont do it anymore???easy said than done.

jgunnip
06-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Wait, what are you mad about? You won like $S 200* there.

* $S - Sklansky buck
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Karak567
06-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Bad beat posts are cool.

sahala
06-02-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bad beat posts are cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
My point is that I allowed my bad misfortune to affect my play. That's not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Karak567
06-02-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know. My point is that I allowed my bad misfortune to affect my play. That's not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

AKA tilt. Ask Phil Helmuth about that.

Bigwig
06-02-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tilting is when you overplay a hand. Folding AQ when I should've pushed is the opposite. I was playing scared. And this isn't a bad beat post, f***face.

Voltron87
06-02-2005, 10:27 PM
today is as close as I've come to committing myself to the funny farm. my AA just lost to 77, who went straight all in over my raise to 125 in level 2. WTF?

see, what I really hate about bad beats is not that instead of having 2300 chips I am busted, but tonight I'm so out of shape I can't play anymore.

we need a bad beat thread in this forum.

Karak567
06-02-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tilting is when you overplay a hand. Folding AQ when I should've pushed is the opposite. I was playing scared. And this isn't a bad beat post, f***face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harsh.

Bigwig
06-02-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Harsh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like Lancaster, PA.

Karak567
06-02-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't like Lancaster, PA.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't like Amish people!?!? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Bigwig
06-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Well, I don't consider this thread to be a bad beat post at all. Just a reminder to not let results change otherwise solid play.

On that note, I don't really mind bad beat posts. If SkipperBob can get a pass with his ridiculous threads, a poster expressing frustration about poker should be tolerated.

Karak567
06-02-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I don't consider this thread to be a bad beat post at all. Just a reminder to not let results change otherwise solid play.

On that note, I don't really mind bad beat posts. If SkipperBob can get a pass with his ridiculous threads, a poster expressing frustration about poker should be tolerated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude I had AK all in pre-flop busted by Ax so many times today I can't count them on one hand. It happens, you learn to roll with the punches. If everyone posted their bad beats it would clog up the forum. That's what makes people so testy.

curtains
06-02-2005, 10:34 PM
I can tolerate bad beat posts as long as they arent like "Shuold I have called here with QQ", in some obvious spot where his opponent actually had 87s and sucks out on him in terrible fashion. Basically don't mask a bad beat post as a post asking for advice.

Bigwig
06-02-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude I had AK all in pre-flop busted by Ax so many times today I can't count them on one hand. It happens, you learn to roll with the punches. If everyone posted their bad beats it would clog up the forum. That's what makes people so testy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have some sort of reading comprehension problem?

Blarg
06-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Yeah, we've all done that, Bigwig.

The scariest thing about tilt is that it can be completely invisible. You can be on tilt even in a decent mood, or a great one, tired or alert, winning or losing.

That's one reason why I think it's always a good idea for me to think seriously about tilt before it becomes obvious to me. It can lose you at least as much money slowly and quietly, just every once in a while, as it can in one big outburst.

I try to keep an eye on myself that my even my calmness is not just a cover story for being subtly on tilt.

pergesu
06-02-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tilting is when you overplay a hand. Folding AQ when I should've pushed is the opposite. I was playing scared.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say that tilting is when you begin to make incorrect decisions based on emotion, rather than being forced to make mistakes or basic ineptitude. You knew the correct play with the AQ hand, yet didn't make it because you were brooding over the previous beat. That's tilt.

But that's neither here nor there. Tough beat :P

jgunnip
06-02-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we need a bad beat thread in this forum

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's an idea (and I'm not being sarcastic here). We should have an"**OFFICIAL BAD BEAT THREAD (ENTER TODAY'S DATE HERE)**" thread. Where the thread starter would post a bad beat they just had afterwards you can only post in the thread if your bad beat was worse than the previous beat and on and on. I think it'd be fun cause I know instead of fumming after a beat I'd be thinking Oh! Oh! I'm gonna go post this!!