PDA

View Full Version : Is my line on this ok?

bigredlemon
06-02-2005, 07:25 PM
7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (hand converter (http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.hta.txt))

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls
Seat 3: xx xx J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls
Hero: Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls
Seat 6: xx xx J/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif___brings-in
Seat 8: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif___folds

4th Street - (3.30 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif___?
Seat 2: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif___?
Seat 4: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___bets
Hero: Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___?

I was 90% confident that all he has for high is a low pair, but since everyone else made 4low, I decided to get out of their way. It was basically call or raise at this point. Would raise have been better?

djr
06-02-2005, 08:04 PM
I think it's reasonable to assume you're ahead for hi still (then again, some of these freaks like to call on third with 662). I would have raised (folding is a close second) hoping seat 7 is smart enough to 3 bet and get seats 1/2 to fold their ugly 87 lows. If 66 reraises you, it might mean trips and time to consider leaving.

BeerMoney
06-02-2005, 09:28 PM
I don't play hi-lo, but prolly not a bad place to bail.

Wu36
06-03-2005, 04:21 AM
Looks fine to me, if a couple more 5s and 6s were dead I'd consider peeling one off.

vintage_sara
06-04-2005, 02:48 PM
you should have been in there in the first place. Hi-lo is all about scooping. You play for low and back into a high.

TheShootah
06-04-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you should have been in there in the first place. Hi-lo is all about scooping. You play for low and back into a high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are wrong here. High hands can definitely scoop pots. What happens when the low draws miss on 4th. Sure, they caught here, but if they miss on 4th or 5th, they have to bail and he is raking the chips in. I think "Playing low and backing into high" is certainly common, but high hands are definitely playable. Have you read HLSPFAP?

That said, I think I would bail. You are probably still winning, but it's tough to know where you at when they hit again.

Andy B
06-04-2005, 03:36 PM
I limp on third as well. You're not likely to get much of anyone out by raising, and I don't want to build a big pot with so many low hands in there.

Fourth is a clear fold. My copy of Zee is in the other room just now, but in the section on fourth street play, he says if you have two opponents with low door cards and on fourth street they both catch another low card close in rank to their door card, you should fold. Eights aren't real low, and there are a couple of Sixes out to block their straight possibilities, but I still think this is a good fold. You're playing for half the pot, and there are too many opponents. Do you think that these guys are folding four-card Eights to a raise? In a $1/2 game? I wouldn't hold my breath.

bigredlemon
06-04-2005, 03:46 PM
That's what I figured. Btw, how does 2+2 feel about the bet on fourth by 66? It doesn't seem make any sense if there's obviously a big pair in the hand, especially if I'm acting right behind him. Even if I wasn't in the hand, there's still a lot of overcards behind him, and many more to come.

I see lots of stud8 players making this move in. Bad idea in general or just bad timing here?

Andy B
06-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Well, I don't think it's obvious you have a big pair, since you limped in. Even if he has only a three-card low and a pair, I think betting is reasonable. He's got all of their straights partially blocked, and he can always catch up on the low side. That said, I think checking is better.