PDA

View Full Version : prima 22k,making a play

invisibleleadsoup
06-02-2005, 07:14 PM
1100 runners,top 100 get payed but ive no interest in sneaking into the money
ive got about 14 000,blinds are 500/1000 and going up in a few minutes
very agressive big stack (60,000 or so) minraises,its folded to me on the big blind,so its 1000 to call,3500 in the pot already

i call with 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

with the intention of betting out a rag flop
(i put him on any two face cards or Ax at best)

flop comes 778,two clubs

i bet out 4000,he thinks for a while before calling
now im pretty sure he doesnt have anything,but is an agressive big stack who doesnt like being bet into...
anyway,turn is an A,no club

i go all in for the remaining 8000

i think the turn bet was taking things too far,though i put him on a lot of hands he'd have to fold,plus people will often call on the flop reluctantly then fold to any more action
i hoped either the A or possibility of me flopping trips or at least a pair would scare him as i figured he was just trying to throw his weight around,as i had seen him do before
i'm wondering what people think of the flop move,and was i crazy to follow through on the turn?

jrforman
06-02-2005, 07:44 PM
I think you should have waited for a better spot, more dangerous hand to make a play at this big stack...But, if your intent on winning this pot, why don't you try and take it down preflop of you think he is stealing...Make it 6000 to go and he lays down his junk hand you pick up the chips you were looking for...

invisibleleadsoup
06-03-2005, 09:53 AM
i'm always wary of restealing in this kind of situation,just because at such low stakes god knows what your opponent will do,but with the stacks the way they are i reckon he'll probably call anyway
the hand he eventually showed down bore me out on this read,the reason i chose the play i did is because everyone knows what a resteal looks like,i thought this would be a bit less obvious
ie if he has very little and i call preflop,then bet out before he has a chance to bet even a terrible player will have to consider the possibility that he should fold
am i way off on this one?

i'm not proud of how i played this,particularly the turn,i'm just wondering if there's any merit to my thinking

Kronon
06-03-2005, 10:51 AM
Well, if I where the big stack, I would immediately put you on either a flush draw or a straight draw when you bet that flop. You would hardly bet strong if you flopped trips.

Now, the big stack would call your flopbet with either a pocket pair or possible AK/AQ. I can't see him calling with a hand like KQ, which means the turn either hit him, or he had you beat since before.

Easy call for him, I can't see how he could lay it down now if he called on that flop, unless possible he has a medium PP and thinks the A hits you (but would you smooth-call preflop with AK/AQ? Or raise with for example AT on that flop?)

Dr_Colossus
06-03-2005, 11:25 AM
I would agree with what Kronon stated in his post