PDA

View Full Version : Newb post....

Deraj
06-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Ok so up until this point I have mainly been playing ring games. Right now I am playing the 1/2 6max. But I was starting to get a lil bored and decided to start throwing in some SNGs and Tourneys. Up until this point I have maybe played ~8SNGs period. So I am pretty much a newb. Here is a questionable hand I just played.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 (t1210)
MP1 (t1490)
MP2 (t1400)
Hero (t1970)
CO (t1470)
Button (t1250)
SB (t1730)
BB (t1480)
UTG (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t20, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t20, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t70</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t1480</font>, UTG folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls t1410.

Flop: (t3010) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t3010) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t3010) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t3010

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Kd Ks (full house, tens full of kings).
Hero has Qd Qs (full house, tens full of queens).
Outcome: BB wins t3010. </font>

Was this call correct? So early on in a SNG...the first blind level! The main reason I called was because I had just taken down the last ~4pots or so and hadn't shown down a hand. 3 of these hands were raised PF 3BB's or so. I figured I was viewed as being a lil aggressive and the villain was taking a chance with a sub standard hand here.

NYCNative
06-02-2005, 07:05 PM
What buy-in was this? I'd call it too. This is rare at the $11s for a gross overbet early in a tourney to actually be Kings or Aces.

DasLeben
06-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Looks good to me. If he plays aces or kings like that, he deserves my stack for confusing me with ridiculous play. Oh, also raise more preflop. Somewhere in the range of t100-t120.

smcannon
06-02-2005, 07:07 PM
I would have probably raised a little more preflop. Even though in this case it meant nothing, I always raise to 5BB if there are callers before me.

The rest of it was played fine. I would have called too.

Deraj
06-02-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm just getting my feet wet and thats reassuring to hear, this was actually at the Stars 5 dollar buy in.

Deraj
06-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the Tip, I definately agree with the fact that I should've raised more PF...I will definately start adjusting my raises for limpers.

Sidekick
06-02-2005, 07:43 PM
I'm going to chime in here as a dissenting opinion.

First off, as a previous poster said, I would have raised PF to 100. On a hand like this I normally (though I do vary it from time to time) raise 3x BB + (1BB x # of limpers).

Now, since you've taken down the last approximately 4 pots people are going to be gunning for you and assuming you are a loose cannon and will bet and play anything even marginal hands at the $5 + $0.50 (or at least they did when I last played them).

Since you are being viewed as a crazy player, you could be looking at Ax or even Kx, but anyone with a monster probably figures that you will call off your entire stack if they push as well. I know if I had seen you raise and take down the previous 4 pots and were raising a 5th time in a row I would think you would call my all-in if I had a monster hand.

When I played the $5s at Poker Stars it was pretty normal to see people push all-in with AA, KK, QQ, AK in the first two rounds.

I haven't looked at the results yet, but I'm assuming you ran into AA or KK here given the tone of the post.

With QQ in the first two levels I'm not calling off all my chips preflop. Call me tight or scared or whatever, but I don't like QQ enough in the early levels to wager all my chips on the hand.

My advice would be raise to 100, and when reraised all-in I'd fold. Just my style.

You will almost never win a tournament in the first two or three rounds, but you can certainly lose one then. As nice as it looks, QQ just really isn't strong enough to hold up to an all-in at a full table in the early rounds.

Just a dissenting opinion.

lastchance
06-02-2005, 07:55 PM
Call, instantly.

Bigwig
06-02-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this was actually at the Stars 5 dollar buy in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good call then.

Phill S
06-02-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With QQ in the first two levels I'm not calling off all my chips preflop. Call me tight or scared or whatever, but I don't like QQ enough in the early levels to wager all my chips on the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think idiot, moron or retard can fit just as easily as tight or scared.

Seriously, go look up a hand chart to find out what a good hand is. After finding this out look at the buy in of this hand.

Now tell me im wrong in calling you an idiot/moron/retard.

Phill