PDA

View Full Version : Other forms of poker - What do you guys like?

Isura
06-02-2005, 07:03 PM
I've played limit holdem almost exclusively since I've been learning poker (about 1 year). I've dabbled a bit in low buy-in sit-n-go and multi-table tourneys (NL holdem), but I suspect these are slightly -EV games for me at the moment. I've been considering seriously studying another form of poker, but I'm not sure which direction to go in. Did you guys start off in limit/no-limit holdem? Anyone here start by playing tourneys? I've also been intrigued with Omaha and Stud. Anyone play these games online? God forbid, any razz players around... /images/graemlins/smile.gif I would imagine these games can be profitable for a decent holdem player. I'm curious to hear everyone's poker experiences and preferences.

Jaran
06-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Omaha h/l is fun to play drunk w/2+2'ers. (Don't really play anything but HE seriously currently).

-Jaran

gharp
06-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Just last night I tried an orbit of crazy pineapple at Paradise. Thought it was pretty cool, even though I felt lost most of the time.

I've been thinking I'll branch out into Omaha H/L if I ever break away from Hold 'Em...

Rev. Good Will
06-02-2005, 07:25 PM
I d/l'ed FTP to play razz..but of what I know, the tight games there make baby Jebus cry(EDIT gonna study razz a bit more before even considering making a deposit)

I started by playing play money with my friends, then play money online, to real money online, switched from NLHE to LHE in the middle of my play money phase.

AmarilloJim1
06-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Omaha Hi/Lo is a lot of fun.

aK13
06-02-2005, 08:22 PM
I don't know how to play hi/lo, but omaha (Regular) on party seems ridiculously fun -- the VPIP at each table is probably around 70% making me think its super profitable if you know how to play (.5/1).

bottomset
06-02-2005, 08:38 PM
triple draw and both PL omaha games are very fun

too bad I suck at all them

Isura
06-02-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Omaha Hi/Lo is a lot of fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the feel of this game so far, but I have no idea even about preflop hand selection yet. I still mess up reading my own hand in this game. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

vulturesrow
06-02-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've played limit holdem almost exclusively since I've been learning poker (about 1 year). I've dabbled a bit in low buy-in sit-n-go and multi-table tourneys (NL holdem), but I suspect these are slightly -EV games for me at the moment. I've been considering seriously studying another form of poker, but I'm not sure which direction to go in. Did you guys start off in limit/no-limit holdem? Anyone here start by playing tourneys? I've also been intrigued with Omaha and Stud. Anyone play these games online? God forbid, any razz players around... /images/graemlins/smile.gif I would imagine these games can be profitable for a decent holdem player. I'm curious to hear everyone's poker experiences and preferences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stud and Stud H/L are insanely soft. I bonus clear the crypto sites playing stud.

Isura
06-02-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stud and Stud H/L are insanely soft. I bonus clear the crypto sites playing stud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I always thought of stud as a game played by tight aggressive old guys. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
Do you think it's softer than small/mid limit online limit holdem (2-4 to 5/10 range)?

tinhat
06-03-2005, 12:13 AM
If you're not just talking about online poker my favorites are: dollar (bill) poker (I think its real name is liar's poker), 5-card stud, 3-card monte, guts/in or out. Never really cared for draw.

I haven't seen any votes for the best drunken stud games like chicago, baseball, spit in the ocean, roll your own. Man those are fun. And so is Indian-head poker (goes by another name on TV - forgot what; everybody holds one card to their forehead).

Mike

Kumubou
06-03-2005, 12:17 AM
For whatever reason, I like Triple Draw 2-7 Lowball. I think it is due to the masochist (yikes). I almost want to sign up for Full Tilt or UlitmateBet to play, but I don't think they offer any low-limit TDL. :\

-K

Buckmulligan
06-03-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the feel of this game so far, but I have no idea even about preflop hand selection yet. I still mess up reading my own hand in this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.homestead.com/ehutchison/OmahaSystem.html

Wetdog
06-03-2005, 01:18 AM
Back in my college days 30+ years ago (holy crap! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif ) we played 4-3 guts match the pot. About 7 months ago i started online playing .05/.10 NLHE. My ass started looking very familiar after having it handed to me so often. Didn't start in limit until March. Last weekend I dabbled in PLO8 and won $16 on a $4 buy in. I was such a donk. Didn't know I also won high when I was sure I had low. Had 2 guys all in too. I still don't know what I took hi with. Last night, after a 36BB beating I played 1-2 draw on Paradise. I won $43 there in an hour leaving me up $25 for the nite. I used some stuff I learned in TOP there.

The one card game is called "Blind Man's Bluff" on TV.

edit: fixed my math

SteveL91
06-03-2005, 03:54 AM
UB has triple draw, but they have it in low stakes. Full Tilt has Razz, but that too is offered in low stakes.

To answer the OP:

I like PLO and Stud. I don't play either that often right now, but I'm hoping to start playing more of both games in the coming months. I dabble with Omaha Hi/Lo, but I prefer Hi-only. Triple draw and Crazy Pineapple are both fun to break up the monotony.

Isura
06-03-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like the feel of this game so far, but I have no idea even about preflop hand selection yet. I still mess up reading my own hand in this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.homestead.com/ehutchison/OmahaSystem.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Very helpful.

@bsolute_luck
06-03-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The one card game is called "Blind Man's Bluff" on TV.

[/ QUOTE ] THAT is a fun drunk game fur shore.