PDA

View Full Version : Slowplay HU against overly passive player

NYCNative
06-02-2005, 07:02 PM
This guy folding on the button a lot, rarely called my button raises, checked everything down. Way passive for HU. It allowed me to steal quite a bit to this point but I realized that I would need to be subtle to really break him. Thus, I slow-played my Kings. Good or bad?

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (2 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t8900)
Hero (t6100)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t600</font>, Hero calls t300.

Flop: (t1200) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t3000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3300</font>, Button calls t0.

Turn: (t7500) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t7500) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t7500

gumpzilla
06-02-2005, 07:34 PM
This seems like a bad beat post. Clearly if you lost by him spiking an A on the river after getting it all in on the flop, then you did nothing wrong. If he flopped top two with JT, so be it. Cards happen, blah blah blah.

It's going to be hard to extract much from a passive opponent with KK. Just keep making small bets along the way and milk as much as you can.

NYCNative
06-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Not a Bad Beat post; I actually won the hand.

gumpzilla
06-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Then I don't understand the question. Clearly if you got him to get his stack in when behind, then it was good. You do run the risk of letting him spike an A on the flop this way, but if he's a fairly passive player that's not likely to be swinging postflop without that A, this isn't a huge danger.

Voltron87
06-02-2005, 07:59 PM
I don't like it. Reraise pf.

NYCNative
06-02-2005, 08:00 PM
I guess I was wondering if it's generally a good idea to slowplay against passive HU opponents or not.

gumpzilla
06-02-2005, 08:08 PM
As I mentioned in my previous post, it really depends on what you mean by passive. I understand passive to be the opposite of aggressive, meaning they don't bet out often. This doesn't say much about calling standards. Against a player who will call too much and bet not enough, slowplaying KK is going to be a disaster, because against such an opponent your hand doesn't get bet nearly as much as it should. By contrast, against a highly aggressive player who will bluff multiple streets but fold if you come back over, slowplaying is great because it's the best way to get money in the pot. Against an opponent who's neither betting much nor calling much, good luck getting your KK paid, but on the flipside you should be winning tons of small pots and this opponent will be relatively easy HU anyway.

This hand doesn't really seem like the behavior of a passive player, but I'll take your word for it. What does the minraise mean from him? Is this standard, or does he normally raise 3-4 BBs? If the minraise is something you haven't seen before AND your opponent isn't betting much postflop, I think you pop him back lightly here preflop and try to get him to push over you. If he just calls, lead weakly on any flop. Be ready to toss in that case if an A spikes and he gets active.

pergesu
06-02-2005, 08:09 PM
you said he was passive, so you've got no reason to believe that his preflop raise is a bluff/steal attempt. Pop him back there and try to get all-in preflop.