PDA

View Full Version : SnG strategy when its level 4/5 and there are 7/8 people left

CaptSensible
06-02-2005, 06:45 PM
What do you do when the blinds are 50-100, level 4 and there are 7-8 people left. I found myself in a situation like this with about 600 chips, shortstacked, blinds took me down to 300 chips. I ended up on the small blind with a K4. everyone folded. I went all in to take steal the BB. He called Had KJ and took me out.

Once in a while i find myself in this situation where there are an unusually large number of players at middle and later levels. How does the advice I've gotten here of "Tight Early/Agressive Later" change?

Thanks in advance.

iMsoLucky0
06-02-2005, 06:50 PM
In this situation it is all about pressure. You just absolutely have to preserve your fold equity. If this means pushing a trash hand from a bad position, then so be it. It sounds like you did what you could (although maybe you missed a push UTG or UTG+1), but sometimes there is nothing you can do..... You're just going to lose that SNG.

smcannon
06-02-2005, 07:04 PM
You're not stealing enough. I am under the full belief that if you're not a thief at the poker table you will not be a highly profitable SnG player at any SnG with a buy in of 20 bucks and under.

You can't just outright steal at any time however. But you certainly can't always depend on the cards to give you the win. You have to allow your skill to finish in the money.

When the BB is up 100 start looking to steal. It's really not worth the risk trying to steal blinds 50 and under. When there is a guy who can't afford to lose his stack, then hit him with any two cards.

And when you steal, don't attempt it with some bs raise, go all in or at least raise it to half of his stack where the decision on him is a clear fold if he's got jack squat to deal with.

Don't try to steal against people that have too low of a stack, unless they have proven themselves to be stubborn and wait for the cards. Don't steal from large stacks either. They can consume your chips without hesitation and they can afford to double up if need be. It's just not worth the risk.

Look for medium stacks, including tight players of any stack, and rob them blind. Steal frequently and but to frequent.

And most importantly, have no fear. If you're afraid to steal with an optimum position with 53o, then you shouldn't even think of stealing at all.

So learn to steal and you'll find yourself out of these situations.

New York Jet
06-02-2005, 07:05 PM
With 600 chips and the blinds at 50/100, don't allow the blinds to take you down to 300 chips. Move all-in before the blinds get to you.

NYCNative
06-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Even though he likes the wrong football team from Enwye, he speaks the truth... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

beeyjay
06-02-2005, 07:16 PM
I have a feeling you didn't push some small edges enough when you still had some good fold equity. Remember if there is this many people left that means theyre probbably all playing pretty tight so you really just have to go for it.

On the other hand though sometimes this happens and if even a couple others have half a clue there is really little that you can do. This is one reason you can't have 100% ITM.

beeyjay
06-02-2005, 07:26 PM
There was some good stuff in your post and also some stuff i would like to ammend/counter.

[ QUOTE ]
I am under the full belief that if you're not a thief at the poker table you will not be a highly profitable SnG player at any SnG with a buy in of 20 bucks and under.

[/ QUOTE ]
This only becomes more true as the buyin escalades.

[ QUOTE ]
It's really not worth the risk trying to steal blinds 50 and under.

[/ QUOTE ]
There can be a decent argument made to steal when the conditions are right in level 3. I think PVS is the most outspoken on the topic and hes applying it to the 1000 chip games so in an 800 chip game the idea is only compounded.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't try to steal against people that have too low of a stack, unless they have proven themselves to be stubborn and wait for the cards. Don't steal from large stacks either. They can consume your chips without hesitation and they can afford to double up if need be. It's just not worth the risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes small or big stacks are the best to steal from. It really has more to do with their expected calling range than the size of their stack. The stack size really only comes into play as it affects these calling ranges.

lastchance
06-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Gotta have limpers though, and at my buyin's, limpers tend to call.

KSKevin
06-02-2005, 09:02 PM
I would guess that you are playing the 11s, and this situation comes up relatively rarely at this level. The problem is that the opponents you are playing against have very loose calling standards at this level, and so your occasional steals will be called much more frequently than at higher levels.

I disagree with stealing with the blinds at 50/100 if there are 7 or 8 people left, unless you have position and the people to your left are extra tight. However, in the situation you described, you cant let yourself get down to 200 or 300 chips, you need to use what little FE you have while you still have it with 600 or so chips, even if there are 7 people left. But if you can afford to, I think it is smart to wait for level 5 where it should be down to 5 or 6 players to really start stealing.

psyduck
06-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Could someone link to PVS's comments/threads?

Also, how can you let yourself get down to 600? Seriously, you must start pushing your marginal and even not-so marginal hands. Remember that if you get down to 300 and the BB is 100, your fold equity goes down drastically. Now with a 600 stack, you have a lot of fold equity, so USE IT!!

CaptSensible
06-03-2005, 02:50 AM
Some absolutely great advice here. Thanks so much! in the few days since applying the advice i've gotten here my win rate has been around 50%. I'm praying that I can keep this up consistantly and that it's not just a nice little streak. Btw, this posting was based on a $10 sng at party poker. Thanks again!

iMsoLucky0
06-03-2005, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Some absolutely great advice here. Thanks so much! in the few days since applying the advice i've gotten here my win rate has been around 50%. I'm praying that I can keep this up consistantly and that it's not just a nice little streak. Btw, this posting was based on a $10 sng at party poker. Thanks again!

[/ QUOTE ]

You will not sustain a 50% winrate. Sorry.