PDA

View Full Version : What's my next step? Need advice

JKDStudent
06-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Background: I've been playing since last December, though not a lot (as evident from the number of hands) as school takes up quite a bit of my time. After an initial $100 investment (which I withdrew awhile ago), through bonuses I've gotten my bankroll to a point where, following the 300BB rule, I am just shy of having 2/4 covered.

Now here's where the asking for advice comes in: I want to increase my income from poker, but I'm not sure where to proceed. I'm beating the .50/1 games at Party (and Paradise, when I was clearing that bonus). However, 1/2 has been causing me problems. Note: All of my 1/2 hands have been at Crypto sites while clearing bonuses. It seems that at the 1/2 games, I'm winning a bunch of small pots, but the ones I lose, be it from suckouts or me going too far with a second-best hand, are proportionally huge.

I'm unsure of where to proceed. Should I move up to the 1/2 on another site, avoiding the rock garden-like atmosphere that plagues the Crypto sites? 1/2 6-max? What about multi-tabling .50/1? I generally play one table, sometimes two, and on very rare occassions, four. Four is a bit hectic because of the screen resolution I'm running, but I can still manage.

Here are some stats/graphs for my play. I've hesitated asking this question before because I'm simply ashamed of my 1/2 numbers. But I'm at the point where I need to take a step forward. I just don't know which way to step.

http://home.comcast.net/~KCPavon/stats.jpg

.50/1 Graph
http://home.comcast.net/~KCPavon/graph1.jpg

1/2 Graph
http://home.comcast.net/~KCPavon/graph2.jpg

DavidC
06-02-2005, 05:12 PM
If it's any consolation, your 1/2 stats look much better than your .5/1 stats, but there's still a lot you haven't shown us (look in the position summary tab and the more details button).

--Dave.

shadow29
06-02-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've hesitated asking this question before because I'm simply ashamed of my 1/2 numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be. Could you post your "More Detail" stats? And also your Position Stats? What's your SD/100? I am firmly convinced that it is possible to have this negative winrate over 10k hands due primarily to variance.

My advice would be to keep playing 1/2. Do you play at Party? If not, play there.

JunkHead
06-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Would a players stats fluctuate much when moving up? The number of hands between the two levels are close enough, but there are a few catagories with a significant difference, like Att. to Steal Blinds, for example. Would one expect to see these numbers change much?

JunkHead

shadow29
06-02-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would a players stats fluctuate much when moving up? The number of hands between the two levels are close enough, but there are a few catagories with a significant difference, like Att. to Steal Blinds, for example. Would one expect to see these numbers change much?

JunkHead

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. 1/2 is far tighter than .5/1 and therefore att to steal blinds should go up.

Just noticed something to OP. You're calling down waaaay too much.

DavidC
06-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Oh, and the graphs, while pretty (and hell, I make them too), don't really tell us anything: you could just include your SD/100 from the session summary more details button. That would tell us the same thing.

--Dave.

JKDStudent
06-02-2005, 10:51 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~KCPavon/details.jpg

JKDStudent
06-03-2005, 07:38 AM
Actually, the above is a composite. Here are the seperate details for .5/1 and 1/2 respectively.

http://home.comcast.net/~KCPavon/details1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~KCPavon/details2.jpg

kapw7
06-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Your WSD is very high but your AF and fold to river bet are very high too. So I think you bet-raise or fold a lot more than calling.
Agression is generally good but it's not bad to call especially in these limits where pots are generally bigger, ppl play more hands and they don't fold that easily.

TemetNosce
06-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Definitely play 1/2 at other sites. Winning a bunch of small pots and losing pots from suckouts and taking your 2nd best hands too far is the usual fare of playing at the weak-tight rock-garden Cryptos.

FWIW, when playing at the Cryptos, try to limp-reraise with your big hands (AA, KK, AKs). You will get more action. If you limp and there is no preflop raise, that's fine. You'll have some deception going for you with your big hand. It's worth the risk of letting the blinds see a flop.

Also, make sure to go for more blind steal attempts. Many of the weak-tight players at the Cryptos don't seem to defend blinds there much.

diebitter
06-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Move.

From personal experience, party, empire, noble and pacific poker will be a lot easier for you.

Hellmouth
06-03-2005, 09:30 AM
One other observation. It seems strange to me that your aggresion factor goes down as you go flop/turn/river. It may be another indication that you are playing junk hands too far, or that you are slowing down when you should be speeding up.

My aggression goes ~2.1,2.3,2.6 flop,turn,river.

I would like to hear what others think about this.
Greg

Hellmouth
06-03-2005, 09:32 AM
Also, do you make the graphs in PT? If so how?

Greg

vulturesrow
06-03-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One other observation. It seems strange to me that your aggresion factor goes down as you go flop/turn/river. It may be another indication that you are playing junk hands too far, or that you are slowing down when you should be speeding up.

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop aggression should be higher than the turn or river values.

aK13
06-03-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine go downwards.

.5/1 is much softer and looser than 1/2 (especially at cryptos, and even party now) -- I think you might be playing too many marginal hands.

On the other hand, your went showdown is very high but your won at showdown is also quite high -- this probably means that you're overplaying some hands and losing big money on them.

I am no g00t at reviewing PT stats -_-.

wireMan
06-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Let me preface this with: I don't have PT. That being said, do I read your 1/2 stats as being that you never cold call a pfr?
It's not something I do often, but never? I only moved to 1/2 last week, only about 1K hands under my belt at that level. I play at Stars and Empire, and although I don't know my BB/100, I know that I'm winning. One thing I've seen in this forum is a lot of advice that favors being very aggressive. Aggression does win, but sometimes the situation merits a call or even a cold call.

JKDStudent
06-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the advice thus far. I think this weekend, I will try out the 1/2 games at the Party skins and see how I feel.

For the person who asked about the graphs... well, there was a big thread in this (the micro) forum not long ago that had people posting their graphs. The guy that made the program has abandoned it, due to personal reasons. Here's the most recent installer: http://users.rowan.edu/~pavonk89/Grapherv134.exe

Any other comments on stats?

JKDStudent
06-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Bump