PDA

View Full Version : Bad beats shouldn't bother me

Gamblor
06-02-2005, 04:02 PM
I have a thorough mathematical understanding of the game. I understand pot odds, card distributions, have taken university courses in stats that discuss bayes theorem, and I took a whole course last year devoted to game theory.

When the idiot calls a turn cap cold with a gutshot and gets there it doesn't bother me.

When he does it again and again, it's kinda annoying.

By the 4th or 5th time I get beaten bad, I'm ready to throw the computer across the room.

Do other mathematically aware and solid players still get frustrated?

Assuming we all understand that we made all the Sklansky bucks, why?

reddred
06-02-2005, 05:10 PM
you sound pretty intelligent, so excuse me if this sounds elementary, but are you properly bankrolled for the limits you play? My experience has been that the hurt a bad beat(or a series of them) puts on me is directly proportional to my bankroll, or my single day loss threshold. The more "over" bankrolled I am, the less the beats hurt. I know the general rule is 300BB's, but I prefer to be between 1000-1500BB.....this way your so overrolled, that it minimizes the emotion.
As I'm sure you know, the only thing that matters is correct decision making.....results will work themselves out in the longrun.
If your getting this mad, it's one of 2 things: 1) Losing the $ is hurting you....adjust limits/bankroll accordingly, or, 2)Your so competitive, that losing drives you crazy, esp. when you "should" win....this seems like more of an anger management issue.....need to work on relaxation techniques, and when you feel this anger build, log off and cool down for a few days....good luck

Jeebus
06-02-2005, 06:06 PM
always remember gooosse fffrrraaabbbaaaaa

Gamblor
06-02-2005, 06:46 PM
I generally keep a bankroll of between 800-1000 BB. I started playing for a living (PP 15-30, and a recent positive foray into the UB 30-60) about 2 months ago; I've never played real heavy duty before, I was playing 1500 hands a week. Now I'm playing 4000.

Two > 100 BB downswings. The first i handled well. The second approached 200 BB and I KNOW at least 50 was due to tilt. I want to know why I'm still tilting. I know better than to be results-oriented, but I still do tilt.

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Truth be told, the money itself isn't even that important - I have more than enough outside my actual playing bankroll to keep me going for at least a year.

xniNja
06-02-2005, 08:40 PM
The bad beats always hurt. Especially if they are occurring in a relatively short time span. Remember that any amount of BB's as a bankroll, is just about statistical probablity, which we all know doesn't necessarily mean anything. You are LIKELY to rebound within your bankroll of 300+ BBs (hell 800-1000BB sounds very safe) but the nature of probability and chance itself, means that you very well could be on the losing end of bad beats for a long time, or even infinitely. I'm not saying this will happen, but be prepared mentally for longer losing streaks than the "statistical average."

psyduck
06-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Look, just consider the fact that you're in it for the long run. THE LONG RUN. Obviously all of us get mad if we get a bad beat dealt to us, but you gotta forget about it for the next hand. You know very well that if that player were to draw to a gutshot every time and the pot odds weren't in his favor, then you make money. So keep that in mind, call the other guy an idiot, and don't get mad.

If you do get mad, take a break, realize that you are a longterm winner and the other guy is a longterm loser, and go back.

Nate tha' Great
06-02-2005, 10:06 PM
The key is not trying to prevent yourself from getting mad, but trying to prevent your being mad from affecting your play.

BeerMoney
06-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Gamblor, take a coupla days off. Regroup. That's all it takes. Nice work on playing mid/high stakes like that.

PokerProdigy
06-03-2005, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a thorough mathematical understanding of the game. I understand pot odds, card distributions, have taken university courses in stats that discuss bayes theorem, and I took a whole course last year devoted to game theory.

When the idiot calls a turn cap cold with a gutshot and gets there it doesn't bother me.

By the 4th or 5th time I get beaten bad, I'm ready to throw the computer across the room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have also realized that it's funny when bad beats bother me because I have a pretty good idea general idea of the math, and I KNOW that's it's gonna happen from time to time. What I found has helped me remain calm is more ME than my knowledge about the math, by that I mean that I have to just not get upset. Also studying philosophy ideas such as stoic philsophy and buddhist philosophy will help you remain calm and not get upset.

jskills
06-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Happened to me last night. One insane bad beat after another. Once in a while, it's ok, but I have to agree that when you have 4 or 5 in a row, it does start to mess with your mind. You almost expect to lose, start seeing monsters when you have the best hand, etc.

I resisted tilt the best I could and tried to play soundly enough to mitigate some of losses and was able to get about half of it back (not that session results mean anything anyway) It could have been a lot worse. What else can you do but try to stay calm and focused on the next hand?

Robk
06-03-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never played real heavy duty before, I was playing 1500 hands a week. Now I'm playing 4000.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is quite likely to be the source of your problem. over time we condition ourslves to deal with a certain threshold of poker pain. based on my experience an increase in the amount of hours youre playing will lead to frustration problems because the sheer number of beats you take exceeds your old threshold. sorry if i sound condescending because its not a problem that i think i know the answer too. if you want my advice though. increase the number of hands you play gradually, in steps. and try to psychologically prepare, by thinking before each session about the number and variety of beats youre expected to take. in a thousand hand session you take the number of beats a live poker player would take in about 25-30 hours of play. thinking ahead of time that im expected to take a dozen ugly beats during the session seemed to help me.

savman
06-13-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You almost expect to lose, start seeing monsters when you have the best hand, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been running so bad I always expect to lose. Put another way, when I get all the money in as a four to one favorite I rejoice when I actually hold.

I always hear, "you want people to make that call." No i dont. Fold. I will take what is in the pot instead of losing my whole stack when I am four to one ahead.

Mostly, I cannot reason how a person could run this bad this long. If i cannot come up with a logical explanation for running bad, I cannot come up with a remedy.

Suntzu00000
06-13-2005, 02:35 AM
I am the same way. Take a break for at least a couple of hours when you get that itch to reach into the computer, shove your arm down some fishes throat and pull his lungs out. Trust me, it will save you big time dollars.

SNOWBALL138
06-13-2005, 03:33 AM
thats a great way to look at it.
However, don't you think that any kind of emotion (euphoria, anger, fear) is going to affect your play to some extent? I find I play best when I have almost no emotional reaction to what is going on. This is a pretty rare occurence, but its nice when I get to that place.

popniklas
06-13-2005, 07:46 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
The key is not trying to prevent yourself from getting mad, but trying to prevent your being mad from affecting your play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree on this.

Becoming angry is a very natural response to bad beats. Think about it: You have done something good (playing a strong poker hand correctly) and instead of being rewarded (winning money) you are, surprisingly, punished (losing money). Of course you become upset. What happened seemed unfair to you, and when people feel that they are treated unfair, they tend to become upset.

So... how to deal with the anger and frustration? Well, that's a tough question, but I suppose it might help simply trying to keep things in perspective. That last hand was just one of hundreds of thousands of hands you will play in you life. And if you are a winning player, any money you lose when playing poker can and will be won back. It's really no big deal whether you won or lost that particular hand.

Good and bad luck evens out (more or less) on the long run. Good and bad steam control doesn't. Try to stay focused, and make good decisions in situations where your opponents would have made bad decisions. Over your next hundred thousand hands, this is what will get you the money. Not how the cards fell on one or a few particular hands.

ZenMusician
06-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Very few avatars make me lol, but....

NH!!

-ZEN

mindflayer
06-15-2005, 01:20 PM
SERENITY NOW!

Cumulonimbus
06-15-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
always remember gooosse fffrrraaabbbaaaaa

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I was telling myself this yesterday.

adios
06-15-2005, 06:08 PM
When I annalyzed this I realized I was taking this kind of thing personally. How could this chump think he's better than me? Then I realized that maybe he's not thinking that way and even if he was, it's his way of getting some gambling fun in I started to handle it a lot better. Losing a pot you're favored to win is never pleasant but I find myself now focusing on not going on tilt and keeping my level of play at a high level(at least for me) even when frustration kicks in. I also try and reflect on if and how bad I went on tilt the next day after I played. I refuse to excuse myself for tilting.

BigBaitsim (milo)
06-15-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love earning Sklansky Bux, but long runs of earning hundreds of Slansky Bets while losing can suck.