PDA

View Full Version : George Mikan Dies

andyfox
06-02-2005, 04:02 PM
A truly great player. Won five championships his first six years in the NBA. Goaltending was devised because of him. He didn't play high school basketball, yet scored over 50 points in the NIT Championship game for DePaul.

At commissioner of the old ABA, he came up with the red, white and blue ball, and the 3-point shot.

A legend.

chaas4747
06-02-2005, 04:04 PM
.... And created the most famous drill in all of basketball.

Toro
06-02-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Which drill?

Bulldog
06-02-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Which drill?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Mikan drill. Any self-respecting coach would have his bigs doing this at least once a week.

offTopic
06-02-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Which drill?

[/ QUOTE ]

The drill which bears his name.

It's a little-known fact that George Mikan was of Native American descent, so had to change his name to something "less Indian" at the time. His original name was "George ThreeManWeave". /images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="white"> The Mikan Drill is when you shoot layups with alternating hands from each side of the basket for some predetermined amount of time, trying to make as many as possible. </font>

pryor15
06-02-2005, 04:15 PM
...And changed the way big men played the game.

2+2 wannabe
06-02-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Which drill?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Mikan drill. Any self-respecting coach would have his bigs doing this at least once a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

is that the drill where you do a left-handed lay up, catch the ball through the mesh, do a right-handed lay up, catch the ball, do the left-handed lay-up, etc etc etc?

Phoenix1010
06-02-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Which drill?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is that the drill where you do a left-handed lay up, catch the ball through the mesh, do a right-handed lay up, catch the ball, do the left-handed lay-up, etc etc etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. In my opinion it is the most useful drill there is for any big man, and is essential for guards as well. I still do it to this day whenever I practice.

chaas4747
06-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Correct.

Toro
06-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks, I remember the drill very well but our coach never referred to it as the Mikan drill.

2+2 wannabe
06-02-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

what do i win what do i win?

...another beer!

um i don't know who said that but - OK! i'm going for the high score!

samjjones
06-02-2005, 04:40 PM
One of the reasons I like Shaq so much is that he gives so much respect to Mikan as one of the great big men of the game. Not a lot of people remember him.

KJS
06-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Also fought until his death to have NBA retirement benefits extended to pre-1965(?) players such as himself. The current membership of the player's union needs to approve the change. Perhaps his death will have some impact on the vote.

KJS

Jack of Arcades
06-03-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of the reasons I like Shaq so much is that he gives so much respect to Mikan as one of the great big men of the game. Not a lot of people remember him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shaq Pays for George Mikan's Funeral (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005/news/story?id=2075294)

Dead
06-03-2005, 06:08 PM
That is very classy. Shaq still plays the game like a thug, but this is a classy move by him.

Blackjack
06-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Altough Shaqs lost a lot of his scoring dominance that he had as a rookie with the magic, he's grown a ton as a person. Class act - Can't wait to see the Heat/Spurs final.

Blackjack

Dead
06-03-2005, 06:13 PM
He shoves his fat ass into every center that tries to get on him in the post. He commits at least 5 offensive fouls every game but only gets called for about 1 of them.

Duke
06-03-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That is very classy. Shaq still plays the game like a thug, but this is a classy move by him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad the NBA isn't as classy as him.

They just have to wait a few more years and all the pre-65 players will be dead.

~D