PDA

View Full Version : Playing against a bluffing semi-maniac

MrWookie47
06-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Villain in this hand is very aggressive, and loves to bluff and semibluff. He'll raise the flop or turn with a flopped flush draw, even HU. I've been HU with him on a couple of previous hands. I check/raised the flop with either a middle PP or 2nd pair on a ragged flop after he raised or 3bet me preflop. He called the flop and raised the turn and bet the river with UI overcards each time. I called down and was good both times. I don't have any PT stats (pseudo-reads), but he definitely was on the loose side.

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

And the second hand:

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

3-bet here?

River: (9 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero vomits and calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

gharp
06-02-2005, 04:01 PM
I think I tend to overpunish 6-max bluffers on the flop and raise too quickly, rather than letting them screw themselves with their own aggression. That said, I initially thought you were playing these flops too slow, but the more I look at them I think they're good.

I think I might check/raise the turn in the first hand rather than pull a stop-n-go. A turn 3-bet wouldn't be out of the question in the second hand, but he wasn't the pre-flop raiser so he could have a 3 (you could always 3-bet to find out where you stand... /images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

I definitely like the way you (probably) induced bluffs on both rivers.

iNsChris
06-02-2005, 04:16 PM
why dont you raise river on hand 1? Mis click?

MrWookie47
06-02-2005, 04:36 PM
I check/called on the river to induce a bluff. I figured that if he had the A, I would have heard about it on the turn. Also, the flush got there, if he was raising the flop on the draw. I wasn't confident in being ahead if he called my check/raise. This might be a little weak, however.

MrWookie47
06-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Actually, in hand 1, he was a preflop raiser. There was no way he had a 3.

gharp
06-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Eh? In hand one a 3 wouldn't matter. I was talking about hand 2 and I thought BB was the villain (based on the position from hand 1).

Looking at hand 2 again, it looks like he did cold-call two from the BB so that makes a 3 pretty unlikely too -- but you never know, I've seen a lot of people who flat out refuse to fold that big blind.

MrWookie47
06-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Crap. Sorry, I meant hand 2.

Edit: and I can't even read my own post.

deception5
06-02-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I might check/raise the turn in the first hand rather than pull a stop-n-go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would do this as well, this seems like one of those opponents who will bet when checked to nearly every time. And the bonus is next time when you really are drawing he may think twice about betting when you check (although it seems like this is probably not the case - I'd keep check/raising him on the turn until he gets it though /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

MrWookie47
06-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I should have given some more weight to my thoughts of check/raising that turn. I was concerned about giving free cards to whatever sort of draw he had, if that was the case, but I don't think I'd ever seen this guy give/take a free card if he had shown any form of aggression.

PuckNPoker
06-02-2005, 05:49 PM
I would think if you have him down to such an approach I'd shy away from check-raising him. If you keep check-raising him he will learn, doing it the way Mr47 is doing it looks like Mr47 is scared of the player and encourages him to keep up his bluffs. Thoughts?

gvibes
06-02-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I should have given some more weight to my thoughts of check/raising that turn. I was concerned about giving free cards to whatever sort of draw he had, if that was the case, but I don't think I'd ever seen this guy give/take a free card if he had shown any form of aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say that this doesn't seem like the sort of guy who takes a lot of free cards. I would C/R the turn.

EDIT: On hand 2, this seems like the sort of guy who would raise with any flush draw on the flop, or raise a scare card. I would probably 3-bet the turn, or maybe wait and try to c/r the river.