PDA

View Full Version : Dealer's Choice: What game do you pick?

sammy_g
06-02-2005, 03:38 PM
GamesGrid spreads Dealer's Choice ring games where you pick from the HORSE Games. All of the Dealer's Choice games are played with blinds, even the stud variants. Assume you are equally proficient at all of the games. What game gives you the greatest edge and why?

fnord_too
06-02-2005, 04:39 PM
I picked razz, though I will pick others, too, just not as frequently. Most of the time though, I don't pick any game but use the random selection. Really, about the only game I don't pick right now is o/8 since that seems to be incredibly popular of late and I get sick of it.

beset7
06-02-2005, 09:11 PM
I picked Stud/8 because I've played about it way more then the average poker player and I enjoy it.

timprov
06-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Do the stud games have absolute position as well? With that plus blinds, I'd think you almost have to pick a stud game.

Iceman
06-02-2005, 10:09 PM
I'd call Stud-8 against weak players, and holdem against strong players.

Chasers lose faster in stud-8 than in any other limit game. They wind up getting freerolled, or putting in several bets with thin draws to half the pot.

Against people who won't make huge mistakes in any of the games, I'd choose holdem, since it has the greatest positional advantage of any of those games. Positional advantage is much smaller in a stud-type game even with blinds and a button, since the boards give away a lot of information.

fnord_too
06-02-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do the stud games have absolute position as well? With that plus blinds, I'd think you almost have to pick a stud game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only for third street.

Ribbo
06-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Stud/8 is easily the single most abusable game when you have the button each time. Makes me drool thinking about it.

Stefanie
06-08-2005, 03:35 AM
I usually pick Omaha hi/lo because it really throws the holdem players off. Most of them in my home games have never or rarely played Omaha. They don't recognize the hand they have let the nuts on the hand. Most of them are used to a straight being a great hand.

pipes
06-08-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only for third street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because of this, with all things else being equal, I think Hold'em or Omaha8b should be chosen to get the positional advantage for all the rounds.

But things are never equal, I think Stud8b would be my most frequent choice. Alot of reasons for people unfamiliar with the game to play many hands and go too far with them.

kiffl
06-09-2005, 04:59 PM
I choose Stud 8/ob because I like the game and the people on GG usually suck at it.