PDA

View Full Version : Golf clubs

theghost
06-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Probably buying some tonight. Any suggestions for someone with up to $600 to spend (for a bag, irons, woods, putter)?

I have golfed a couple of times a year for the past 20 yrs (I'm 32), but I am not a good player. I intend to take lessons this summer and take my game up a notch.

I need new clubs, my old ones are literally from 1965.

Suggestions?

RacersEdge
06-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Wait until you take your lesson - then ask the pro for advice on clubs for you. Your lesson will be so basic that the clubs you have in your hands won't matter anyway.

nolanfan34
06-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Here's a pretty good set for the price. Link. (http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/04tar845kitmrhgr.html)

I am not affiliated with that site.

Anyway, the 845s are still a good, basic iron. You can buy just the irons for around $200 or so, on plenty of places on the web.

texaspimp
06-02-2005, 03:53 PM
I agree with nolan. For the price, that is a very good starter set.

If you want to be a good player, GET CUSTOM FITTED CLUBS. This is imperative. Either drop the $350 on nolan's set or similar deal and get fitted after your lessons , or get fitted after the lessons and advice from instructor.

I think a large part of your decision hinges upon how good do you want to become:

Average to above-average = nolan's suggestion
good to great = custom fitting and brand o' choice (TM, Ping, Callaway, etc.)

Good luck!

theghost
06-02-2005, 03:58 PM
My plan (as of now) is to purchase from Dick's, they have a big sale on and would fit the clubs for me gratis; so I probably won't be buying online (unless the price difference is *so* huge).

A friend recommended the following brands:
Titliest DCI, Taylor Made, Calloway, Nike, Cleveland, Hogan, Ping

Any pitfalls if I just shop for these brands and try to stay in my range?

Any suggestions for widely available/quality knockoff brands?

edtost
06-02-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A friend recommended the following brands:
Titliest DCI, Taylor Made, Calloway, Nike, Cleveland, Hogan, Ping

Any pitfalls if I just shop for these brands and try to stay in my range?

Any suggestions for widely available/quality knockoff brands?

[/ QUOTE ]

knockoff brands are crap, but there's no [censored] way you're gonna stay under your budget with those brands buying everything new.

my reccomendation would be to find the following used:

tommy armour 845/ping eye2 irons
cleveland/titleist vokey wedges
calloway/taylormade/titleist woods
ping/titleist putter

samjjones
06-02-2005, 04:49 PM
I have Wilson staff Ultra .45's, and love them. The Armour .845s and Ping Eye 2's were great suggestions, too. I like a classic iron design. You don't want to be playing with garden hoes. If you don't play a lot, don't spend a ton of money.

eric5148
06-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Don't get knockoffs. In terms of quality, all the major brands are basically the same, the only thing that matters is if you like it and it's custom fitted.

P.S. - Don't. Get. Knockoffs.

edtost
06-02-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have Wilson staff Ultra .45's, and love them. The Armour .845s and Ping Eye 2's were great suggestions, too. I like a classic iron design. You don't want to be playing with garden hoes. If you don't play a lot, don't spend a ton of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know that specific model, but the wilson pre-fat shaft stuff tended to be pretty good. i can't look at the newer stuff though, so ymmv. also the titleist dci 962's or mizuno t-zoid pro's are nice as well.

edtost
06-02-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't get knockoffs. In terms of quality, all the major brands are basically the same, the only thing that matters is if you like it and it's custom fitted.

P.S. - Don't. Get. Knockoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh. nike is a 'major brand', and i can't really thinik of a good product they've put out yet.

eric5148
06-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Ok, except Nike.

theghost
06-02-2005, 05:09 PM
ok, at this point I'm leaning toward getting the 845s set nolanfan recommended, and having them fitted after the fact. Seems economical, and decent quality.

the other option is to go with this plan:

[ QUOTE ]
tommy armour 845/ping eye2 irons
cleveland/titleist vokey wedges
calloway/taylormade/titleist woods
ping/titleist putter

[/ QUOTE ]

Worth the trouble for now, or should I just slowly upgrade as I go?

Are the Tommy Armour woods/wedges problematic?

eric5148
06-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Does the place you're buying from have a little hitting area where you can test them out?

theghost
06-02-2005, 05:12 PM
from the looks of it, I'll be buying them from the internet.

offTopic
06-02-2005, 05:14 PM
You guys are killing me! I'm going to go try out some wedges I don't need. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

eric5148
06-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Then just go with the best deal you can find.

eric5148
06-02-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You guys are killing me! I'm going to go try out some wedges I don't need.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good times. Cleveland pwns.

nolanfan34
06-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Where do you live? If there's a golf store nearby, it's worth checking out used woods and irons there too. Every club in my bag with the exception of two wedges I bought used. You can get some good stuff that way.

I would check locally first, and hit a few different clubs. If you just want a one stop-shopping option, then the ones I linked to would be good. Note that the set probably only comes with a pitching wedge, so you'll want to pick up a sand wedge somewhere.

Finally, if you really just want something to get by on to start with, there are lower quality sets like the only I linked to that run in the $150 range. I bought my dad a set like that, because he only golfs like once or twice a year. They are certainly cheaper quality though.

samjjones
06-02-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know that specific model, but the wilson pre-fat shaft stuff tended to be pretty good. i can't look at the newer stuff though, so ymmv. also the titleist dci 962's or mizuno t-zoid pro's are nice as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Wilson Staff Ultras that I am talking about are pre-fat shaft (which I don't care for). Metal shaft, classic club head design. Very solid striking the ball. I bought 2-PW used for about $300 back in '95 or so.

samjjones
06-02-2005, 05:23 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50860&item=7159529 605&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

These came out after the ones I got, but these have graphite shafts. If you can get these for like $50, I would heartily recommend.

klagett
06-02-2005, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't suggest custom fitted clubs atm. Especially if they are done according to your swing plane. Since you will be taking lessons your swing will probably change dramatically.

JTrout
06-02-2005, 05:28 PM
The set Nolan found is good.
Economically speaking- used clubs are a very good option.
Drivers that are at least a couple years old are discounted heavily.

My 2cents on the knock offs. Many are crap. But many are as good, if not better, than the name brand clubs.

If the shaft is the proper length, weight, and flex; and the loft and lie of the club fits you; and the grip is new, the "name" brand on the club won't shave 1 shot off your game all summer.

The key to improving your game is playing more than twice a year.

Cheers,
JTrout

theghost
06-02-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Finally, if you really just want something to get by on to start with, there are lower quality sets like the only I linked to that run in the $150 range. I bought my dad a set like that, because he only golfs like once or twice a year. They are certainly cheaper quality though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm willing to spend a bit more for the quality because I intend to play with these for at least a few years; I don't want to get the upgrade itch too soon (maybe just an individual club here and there).
Much obliged for your suggestion on the Tommy Armour clubs, probably a good fit for my needs/price range.

theghost
06-02-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The key to improving your game is playing more than twice a year.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hopefully starting this season!