PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between .5/.10 Vs .25/.50

iNsChris
06-02-2005, 02:52 PM
"Its Higher stakes" :P

Just wondered to the guys whom played .05/.1 and then .25/.50 (Moved up) - Was it a big shock? Major difference in play?

More people playing agressive with Oc's? Passively with Big hands? ANy major differences?

Thanks,
im at $90(was 100 - Varience) will move up at $150 so want to "Plan ahead" in one sense and know what to expect.

Stinkybeaver
06-02-2005, 03:03 PM
I played 0,1/0,2 on paradise and asa soon as I had the roll I moced to 0,25/0,50. Never had any real troubles on any of these levels.

Don't think there these levels are a lot different. There will be one or two more players at the next level who is playing decent. But you won't notice it at all and even though your winrate might drop slightly it will be well worth it in terms of money

rafct
06-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Where are you playing? I started playing at the prima sites, and from 0.05/0.10 and even 0.10/0.20 to the 0.25/0.50 it became harder. I did not have a tracker program but I think my winrate dropped to half of what it was at the 0.10/0.20 level.

iNsChris
06-02-2005, 03:06 PM
AH im at Victor Chandler/UK Poker(little site - 4k players - peaks at 7k).

Micros .10/.20 are never busy/Used.
.05/.10 are ok, and .25/.50 look busy and good.

Aggression seems higher ok Overcards, Lotsof bluffing - WOndered what everyones opinion was of the difference between the two limits.

MrWookie47
06-02-2005, 03:07 PM
I never played either limit, actually, but I'll tell you the biggest difference: playing solid poker is more important. The players will tend to be marginally better when there is more money on the line, so you have to be prepared. With a solid foundation, the only limit to your limit is your bankroll.

Roybert
06-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Hey Chris, I play at Paradise and I saw next to no difference between the two. Actually, I did spend about a month at .10/.20 first. The games are EXTREMELY loose passive, and it's very easy to beat, but there is an adjustment that you have to make to get used to putting more $ in play.

I moved up with about a $70 bankroll. Although that is probably too small, I don't think you need to wait to get to $150. I think $120 is more than enough, but I'm certainly willing to listen if someone disagrees.

All in all, though, if you can find a sight with great .10/.20 games (Paradise is the only one I know of), you might want to do that first just to get used to putting more at risk every time you play.

Good luck!

dvashun
06-02-2005, 03:16 PM
I play on royal vegas most of the time and the .05/.10,.1/.2 games completely drove me nuts. I was able to grind up to the .25/.5 level and now the tables are about a 50/50 split of decent players and fish. I honestly think the .25/.5 level is easier because the solid players are readable. They play better but you can at least put them on a range of hands most times. At the lower levels I could never tell if I was being called by AK or T2, the uber LAGs would kill me when I flopped TPTK and they rivered 2 pair.

iNsChris
06-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Want to bonus whore paradise $100 (Granny) so wont go there till have $200, and by $200 i hope to be playing (And beating) .25/.50 games.

Can't wait to move up, will finaly feel like im playing "Money" lol.

Stars will most likly be the site, If/when i move from VC(current site)

dvashun
06-02-2005, 03:28 PM
I'm working towards the same goal but keep jerking money out for toys. I have all my gadgets now so I think I'm ready to make my run.

Kumubou
06-02-2005, 03:29 PM
For me, that really was the biggest adjustment for me -- getting used to the bigger pot sizes and bets. The other adjustment was that games were a bit tighter; but I think that adjustment was more site related. Going from Pacific (which plays like a B&M game, where 50% players seeing the flop is tight) to Paradise (where 50% seeing the flop is on the loose end of games) was startling at first, but I lived, and so will you.

-K

AngelicPenguin
06-02-2005, 04:22 PM
My experience was that they were almost as loose preflop, but tended to fold a bit more postflop (esp. to turn bets) That said the game was a joke, and if you play ABC poker you cannot lose.
Was a bit of a shock early on betting 5x what you are used to however =)

rafct
06-02-2005, 04:35 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Respondendo a:</font><hr />
I play on royal vegas most of the time and the .05/.10,.1/.2 games completely drove me nuts. I was able to grind up to the .25/.5 level and now the tables are about a 50/50 split of decent players and fish. I honestly think the .25/.5 level is easier because the solid players are readable. They play better but you can at least put
them on a range of hands most times. At the lower levels I could never tell if I was being called by AK or T2, the uber LAGs would kill me when I flopped TPTK and they rivered 2 pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

These tables are much more beatable in my opinion, I wish the 0.25/0.50 would be like that! Top pairs can be cracked more and so do premium hands.. just treat it like you had gold when you get a pocket pair hand or a good suited connector, and feel the profit when these players call and raise when you have your trips/full houses/flushes/straights.. ALso you can profit a lot with drawing hands with one million callers

afk
06-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Hey man, I made this transition about a year ago or so on PokerStars. While the Stars nickel and dime was literally averaging 6 or 7 to a flop and was very very passive the .25/.50 was a little bit tighter - probably 5 or 6 to the flop - not that that's tight at all. It felt like a big jump when I made it but you start to see the same old mistakes very quickly and you'll realize that the games are pretty much just as easy on the whole scope of things.

The Stars .25/.50 game was a big more aggressive too ie. you'd see more preflop raising and the like. But you'd see a lot of awful, awful cold-calls to go along with it. Another difference is that in the .25/.50 game (and this sounds silly) but it actually starts to feel like you're playing for some decent money. Winning a $2 pot at nickel and dime was nice, but winning a $10 pot at .25/.50 actually feels like you're getting somewhere.

Anywho. The games are just as good and you'll be fine with them. Good luck in your move up.

BatsShadow
06-02-2005, 05:43 PM
I actually perceived a big difference when I moved from .1/.2 to .25/.5. I was on pacific. The game to me seemed just a little tighter, enough to make position matter some. Also, I would see hands that didn't go to showdown much more often.

When I moved from .25/.5 to .5/1, I don't think I noticed as big a difference.

BTW, I would reccommend that you move up early - maybe around $120. I don't think there is much to learn at the really really nano-limits. However, only move up if you are willing to move back down when necessary. I've decided to wait till the full 300BB before moving up to 1/2, but before that, I really don't think it's worth it.

BatsShadow
06-02-2005, 05:46 PM
I used prima sites as good bonus whoring opportunities till I hit the $200 needed for the granny bonus. As long as you use neteller, royal vegas and golden riviera and bet365 and crazy poker will be safe enough. Golden Riviera seems to have a habit of making you play more hands before your bonus is really cleared, but you'll still get your money.

iNsChris
06-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for numerous responses - Appreciated.

I think i shall move to PokerStars at around $120 then, They will give mea 20% bonus i think which will help also?

I'll try the .05/.10 as ill need to get used to the software/Visuals i think which will make it "Uncomfortable" at first. Then i shall hit the .25/.50 games.

I plan to open a netller account surely, Will find out soon if i need to register a bankaccount/credit card to it. Id like to not be linked to it and have my poker money isolated untill i wish to withdraw some to my account but not sure if they allow this?

Find out shortly,
Look forward to .25/.50 /images/graemlins/smile.gif Also need to purchase PokerTracker Ouch... Pricey.

rlr
06-02-2005, 06:19 PM
iNsChris:

"They will give me 20% bonus i think which will help also?"

Not really. You will have a damn impossible time clearing it at 25/50c IIRC. It may not even be possible and I am too lazy to look it up. However I do remember when I played there I had like 30FPP or something before I took my roll to Party. I never cleared my bonus there. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Still the (well mine) bonus does not expire so you can come back it later if you feel so inclined.

I am not sure about the Neteller and Checking acct thing. I believe you do not need one you just will not be able to do EFTs until you do but if you just use it for inter account transfers then you should have no problems. Best bet is to open a new checking acct. that you use just for poker and link it to Neteller.

Dead
06-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Have fun at the .25/.50, Chris.

It is eminently crushable. Sh*t I crush it, so that should tell you something.

TALLBrad
06-02-2005, 06:24 PM
This has been answered before, but here are my observations on making the move at UB from 0.01/0.02 up to 0.25/0.50 and 0.50/1.00.

As you move up to the higher stakes you have fewer people entering the pot in general, so hands that you played with pot equity to continue on a draw (4 to a flush) and OESD and hoping to get trips on your small pocket pair just aren't playable as much.

The other players also spend less time "chasing" hands. You can still find those that do, but overall you'll tend to go to showdown with just 1 player at the higher levels, vs. at the pennys I've seen showdowns go to 3 or 4 players regularly, but hey, it's only pennies.

Another responder put it best. Concentrate on playing good poker, and making logical decisions. Every once in a while you can try a bluff, or do something that doesn't make sense, but 99% of the time you should play standard/aggressive type of poker and will be able to build up your bankroll to move on.

By Standard/aggressive type of poker think in terms of betting/raising and try not to check/call if you can help it. Betting good, Raising good (in situations), check/calling is bad....

Later,
Brad.

iNsChris
06-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Sounds promising, My fustrating at 0.05/.10 is caused by the chasers not folding no matter if i checkraise/Bet to protect my hand(Giving them poor odds).

Moving to stars will also improve my game(Posting hand historys more often/Easily due to converter).

Looking forward to this move, As said i will feel like im playing for money and not for a few pennys.

$2 a day up is pleasing, But at .25/.50 thats one pot!

Thanks for "votes of confidance", Advice and opinions - Keep them coming, I'll set up neteller account shortly and use this for transfering my money to pokerstars.

thanks.

rlr
06-02-2005, 06:42 PM
"My fustrating at 0.05/.10 is caused by the chasers not folding no matter if i checkraise/Bet to protect my hand(Giving them poor odds)"

This happens at all levels and is a GOOD thing. You want this. This is how you make your money. The general consensous at these levels is to forget trying to protect but value bet more.

AmarilloJim1
06-02-2005, 06:43 PM
I have found the Pokerstars .25/.50 very beatable...I have won over $100 there within the last week..I think you'll be fine with that bankroll.

Rev. Good Will
06-02-2005, 06:45 PM
I "took a shot" at .25/.5 when I had ~$90, you should be fine, the game isn't that different.

iNsChris
06-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Never understood this "Value bet"?

People seem to say "value bet" in micro posts when im 90% sure the post lost to say a Flush or something?

Maybe i'm totally confused? Where can i find a explanation of "Value betting"?

I have SSH? I shall check the index.

AmarilloJim1
06-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Getting Pokertracker with GT+ will help you out extremely..it's worth the purchase...not only for reads, but for your own playing as well.

rlr
06-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Value bet is typically betting on the river when you think your hand is a favorite (but likely not a large one) and you expect a caller. Of course we can bet for value when you flop four to a flush etc and bet it.

Check page 193 and forward of SSH

steelcmg
06-02-2005, 07:27 PM
.25/.50 is crushable i was at 8BB/h after 10,000 hands there playing about 23% of the flops at pokerstars that is how i biult up my bankroll fom 50$ so just it should take u a bout 2 months to have a few hundred.

iNsChris
06-02-2005, 07:38 PM
I play between 3-400 A day, I think the only delay moving up is:

Bankroll (Varience hit me, Droped 100BB($10) lately,
COnfidance - 25cents/50cents is BIG CASH to me.
Results orientated - I hate seeing my money drop, i try not to be.
My Skills: Not 100% confidant im playing good poker, When i go to stars ill post hands though.

Thanks all

MDO67
06-02-2005, 08:00 PM
I started at .50/1.00 and just dropped down to the .25/.50 and it was a good move. There are alot of people that will go to the river with K40 and Q5o hands. Looking at PT I noticed that hands worse than 3 of a kind are a net loser. That being said I have a + BB/100 on the .25/.50 and a - BB/100 on the .50/1.00

I play at both Paradise (for the GRANNY bonus of 50%) and Poker Stars. They are both equally loose and it is pretty easy to find a table where 65% are seeing the flop. The one problem with Paradise is that you have to keep switching tables to stay at a full table.

Hope that helps.

- Mark