PDA

View Full Version : Gas engines no longer king of the hill.

wacki
06-02-2005, 02:35 PM
New electric motor (http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/tm_objectid=15580050&method=full&siteid=50082&head line=welsh-car-team-pioneer-electric-dream-name_page.htmlmick)

"Imagine an electric car that produces hardly any noise, no air pollution, and is as fast as a Ferrari......

There are no gears - the motor provides enough torque at one revolution per minute to put a vehicle into motion - and it spins at up to 2,500rpm.

"Size for size, we can provide 400% more torque than any type of motor currently available," says managing director John Bryant."

reported on /. as well of course.

I wouldn't mind slapping one of these in a golf cart. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
06-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Unfortunately, you're distance is limited by the length of your cord.

wacki
06-02-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, you're distance is limited by the length of your cord.

[/ QUOTE ]

One more reason why we need an Apollo style crash program to develop technology to get passed these problems.

Here are some promising technologies:
http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/everydaylife/apr_zeolite.html
http://sbir.gsfc.nasa.gov/SBIR/successes/ss/105text.html

grimel
06-02-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"Imagine an electric car that produces hardly any noise, no air pollution,

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't bother with being as fast as a Ferrari, these two alone are enough to ridicule at this time.

1) Noise - okay, it produces less noise at the location of the car, what about the extra power production facilities needed to power the car?

2) No air pollutions. Does everyone understand the power has to be made somewhere? Does everone understand producing power generates some pollution?

wacki
06-02-2005, 03:06 PM
You are new to the forums so I will take it easy on you. Yes, I am very well aware of all of these facts. Still electric power cars are many times more efficient than gasoline powered cars.

The energy problem is a massive one. There are mutliple was of producing pollution free energy. Solar, Fusion and OTEC are all capable of producing the worlds energy needs without creating any pollution. There are also many ways of producing biofuel to eliminate the majority of the worlds oil needs. Biofuel does not produce pollution in the long run as the carbon is in a cycle. However many techonolical barriers must be overcome and that is why I think we need an Apollo style program now. - belongs in politics forum

I have covered this topic many times. Search the archives as I have numerous posts. I am busy right now, if you need more help later I will provide links to the threads.

M2d
06-02-2005, 03:14 PM
nimby

grimel
06-02-2005, 03:50 PM
So you do realize every form of energy has some polution (waste) associated with it. All of them. There is no 100% effient way to produce power. Some pollute less than other, but all create waste.

The energy problem is massive only because it's under too much government (the whole patchwork of city, state, and federal) control/regulation/red tape/restrictions. Pick your favorite solution (my personal choices are nuke plants and bio-desiel - I'm a fatboy and like big vehicles) and there is some massive government roadblock. Micro-management (which we now have) results in nothing. What we need is to out of the way.

Alobar
06-02-2005, 04:04 PM
your forgetting wacki, that the world is controlled by the evil oil companies. It will be a loooooooooooong looooong time (we will both be dead) before the internal combustion engine isnt the norm.

SomethingClever
06-02-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you do realize every form of energy has some polution (waste) associated with it. All of them. There is no 100% effient way to produce power.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is dumb. Wacki acknowledged this... it just so happens that some methods are far more efficient than others.

[ QUOTE ]
The energy problem is massive only because it's under too much government (the whole patchwork of city, state, and federal) control/regulation/red tape/restrictions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehhh... I think this is pretty wrong. Remove regulations and the refineries/energy companies will cut costs to remain competitive, and the first things to go will be any sort of environmental protections. IE: Why spend the money to dispose of the waste properly when they can freely dump it in the river?

FWIW, I agree that nuclear power has gotten an ill-deserved bad rap and shouldn't be discounted.

wacki
06-02-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So you do realize every form of energy has some polution (waste) associated with it. All of them. There is no 100% effient way to produce power.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is dumb. Wacki acknowledged this... it just so happens that some methods are far more efficient than others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, it is dumb. *thinks about the ignore button*

I'm curious as to what kind of pollution the poster thinks OTEC, solar, and fusion produces that is so bad. Sure there is some pollution during construction, but that doesn't really count.

Also, I don't consider biomass energy production as something that really causes pollution. There is some, but it's nothing to worry about. The CO2 is in a cycle and the net effect in the long run is an unchanged atmosphere.

Blarg
06-02-2005, 05:05 PM
I think we may have found another political agenda masquerading as science.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-02-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Imagine an electric car that produces... no air pollution

[/ QUOTE ]
First off, this is flat out wrong. Just because the polution isn't pouring out of the back end of the car doesn't mean there wasn't some polution from the production of the energy that runs this car. It just happens in another time and place.

CORed
06-02-2005, 11:13 PM
It would be nice to see a description of how this motor works from somebody who acually knows their posterior from a hole in the ground. Nothing in the linked article sounds particularly inovative: Lots of motors don't have permanent magnets, and multiple poles and phases are nothing new. I'm guessing this might be a variable frequency induction motor, but you really can't tell from the article.

zephed
06-03-2005, 07:15 AM
wacki, have you heard of biodiesels?

Paluka
06-03-2005, 07:54 AM
zephed how about getting rid of that avatar?

zephed
06-03-2005, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
zephed how about getting rid of that avatar?

[/ QUOTE ]
I lost the hand challenge, and this is my punishment.

You can adblock it if you have mozilla firefox. If you don't have the adblock extension, click the menu tools->extensions. Look for adblock.

Is there anything you suggest I do to make it not as offensive? Change my location or enter a signature phrase in each of my posts?