PDA

View Full Version : Player moving in every hand??

JackOfSpeed
06-02-2005, 02:12 PM
I thought this was only a hypothetical in the minds of the david Sklansky types, but I was playing a satellite tourney (I won't say the site unless someone PMs me) online today in which one player suddenly started moving in on every hand during the 100/200 levels. Literally, every hand preflop.

There were 85 players left competing for two tourney seats when this guy started going ape-s***. And, it was truly remarkable - even though he was usually an underdog, he won about 80% of the hands -- and he had enough of a stack to start with to weather the losses.

I was the second biggest stack when he started, and remained so during most of the madness. I picked up a6 suited and decided to try to double up -- i did.

About 5 hands later, I picked up a6, and called him again. He had KJ and spiked a king on the flop - turn and river were no help.

Am I correct that I have to grab some of his chips before everyone else does, or do I need better edges than Ace High?

Anyone else ever been in this situation?

McMelchior
06-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Your A6 was a 4:3 favorite over his KJ.

He has to hold one card lower than your 6 for you to be more than a 3:2 favorite. That's 368 hands out of 1,225 possible hands for him or 30%. The remaining 70% of the instances you're either less than a 3:2 favorite or a dog.

You dont write about the stack sizes, but since you state you were the second largest stack I assume you had plenty of chips to the blinds.

From this position I see no point in forcing what are essentially slightly favored coin flips. You have plenty of shorter stacked opponents to steal and rob.

With such a favorable chip position, IF I'm in position to isolate the aggressor, and IF I have a medium to strong hand I'll accept the challenge - but that range does NOT include A6.

I'd probably roll with AJ or 88 or better.

On the other hand, if I'm a small stack, approching 10 x BB, I'll happily play the aggressor with A or K hi ...

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)