PDA

View Full Version : Poker Etiquette: Where is it?

soh538
06-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Just came back from playing poker this weekend at the Borgata, playing in a few tourney's and some 6/12 games. I noticed as more and more people start to play poker, there seems less straight foward play. There seems to be more grandstanding, showing your opponent a card at the river that is not the top pair, then slow rolling the best hand. Another problem is, asking your opponent at the river if they have a straight, when you know you have a fullboat. The ultimate for me is telling your opponent that you have him beat on the flop, isn't it your job to make money with poker, let him call with the worse hand, and let him pay you off, don't talk your hand. Any good dealer would stop these tactics,but there are so many new dealers and they have no clue about etiquette. What should we do as players to stop this from continuing as our hobby is booming? Thanks for listening.

zuluking
06-02-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What should we do as players to stop this from continuing as our hobby is booming?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bitch slap em?

xniNja
06-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Well, if it's a hobby for you, or them, you and they should do whatever brings you pleasure in that activity.

Things like this used to frustrate and irritate me, especially old men who get a kick out of slowrolling...but not anymore.

This is a game, for money. If people are telling me they have me beat on the flop, and aren't lying, I damn right want them to keep doing it. Are you crazy? No one can slowroll you unless you flip over your cards too fast. I learned to be patient (the hard way); force them to show or muck them if the action is on them.

Let them talk. Use the information.

bernie
06-02-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The ultimate for me is telling your opponent that you have him beat on the flop, isn't it your job to make money with poker, let him call with the worse hand, and let him pay you off, don't talk your hand. Any good dealer would stop these tactics

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't mind if someone kept telling me this if it were true. I could save alot of chips.
What do you care if it's costing someone else chips when they do this?

Not everyone is there primarily to win money. Personally, as long as they aren't holding up the game, I could care less about their antics.

b

TripleH68
06-03-2005, 04:08 AM
Lack of etiquette/decorum is everywhere.
How about on the golf course, at the movies, etc.

RydenStoompala
06-04-2005, 08:00 AM
Just play your game, do the right thing and make poker a better experience for the less skillful. The turds are turds because that's what works for them. I see more "offensive" behavior from TAPS than any other type, so it's easier to avoid them.

beedubblyer
06-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Yeah, it's a pain, but either you use it to learn about them - the act will almost inevitably contain clues - or get an iPod... ;-)