PDA

View Full Version : capping PF with jacks?

irishpint
06-02-2005, 12:45 PM
so i have been capping against any number of players in any position with AA-JJ and AKs. Last night istewart responded saying its not always good to cap with jacks. can he or somebody discuss this? i thought these were basic pf capping hands but it appears like i might be missing something- does positon/number of players matter? i understand reads on certain villians do, but for this case assume no reads that would indicate that villian(s) only raise with AA.

thanks

AmarilloJim1
06-02-2005, 12:53 PM
I believe in WLLH it says to cap with JJ.

SSH, I believe it says only cap with AA, KK, QQ, or AKs...

That's all I know; however, I have an insane winrate with jacks...higher than aces...weird.

Personally, I don't cap with jacks.

KingOtter
06-02-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so i have been capping against any number of players in any position with AA-JJ and AKs. Last night istewart responded saying its not always good to cap with jacks. can he or somebody discuss this? i thought these were basic pf capping hands but it appears like i might be missing something- does positon/number of players matter? i understand reads on certain villians do, but for this case assume no reads that would indicate that villian(s) only raise with AA.

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I mentioned it, too, but I guess the only standard I have to offer is the SSH hand charts. I've never read WLLH (that's the Lee Jones book, right?). And that's actually what I said last night, was how we all supposedly worship at the altar of SSH and then bring out things like capping with JJs.

That it comes from somewhere else shows my comment to be inappropriate.

The reasoning for not capping with JJ may come from the chances overcards fall.

With JJ overcards come on the flop 50% of the time. Compared to 37% with QQ and 20% with KK. This makes JJ a lot harder to play post-flop.

KO

chopchoi
06-02-2005, 01:02 PM
I'll usually cap with them, unless I know one of the players in the pot is very tight. I like capping with them multi-way even better than heads up for a number of reasons: 1) you're getting better odds on your money, and 2) there is a good chance your opponents hands cancel each other out. Against AK, your jacks are a small favorite, but against 2 AK's, they're huge.

Isura
06-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Depends on the situation. If it goes raise, reraise, then I usually would just flat call the 3 bets. This is often informative too since we can see if the original raiser caps. If I raise, and someone 3-bets, I'm more inclined to cap it myself. With loose bad players, it's usually correct to cap JJ in most situations.

crownjules
06-02-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If it goes raise, reraise, then I usually would just flat call the 3 bets. This is often informative too since we can see if the original raiser caps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have started doing this myself and I like it. You know your own hand strength and you have to guess that the 3-bettor has a good hand. If the original raiser caps, then you've got a good indication that you're likely drawing slim. Of course this assumes standard raising practices by the other players. If they're a LAG then you can't really expect to gain too much info from this play.

Bodhi
06-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Yes, reads and the number of opponents matters. If I have 4 opponents I'll cap with TT. If I have a lot of opponents I'll cap with a lot less, like KQs or KJs.

bighomage
06-02-2005, 03:27 PM
I don't really see a reason you shouldn't always be capping with JJ. You've usually got the equity to do it and if you happen to be up against a higher pocket pair, I think you've gotten some relatively cheap information if you bet out and he raises the flop. If you've capped PF, and he's still showing more aggression than you, you can probably call down at this point.