PDA

View Full Version : check on the Flop,pot odds manipulation

Broyle Dunson
12-24-2002, 01:35 PM
Recent 15/30 game at the Bellagio,Im in BB with 9,7 clubs,3 really poor players limp in and the button,a local good player for that level,raises,SB folds,and I call as do the others.I put the button on a number of hands including but not limited to Ax suited or any pocket pairs.5 of us see the flop for 160$ A 9 3 rainbow.Every one checked to the raiser on the button and he Checked.The turn brought a brick 2,I bet 2 folded and the cutoff called, the button then raised,after the raise there was 280$ in the potand I had to call 30.I thought about it and figured him for an ace or pocket pair bigger than a 9 .I was pretty sure he wood not have checked the flop with a set.With a 5 outer he made a tough call for me.I mucked and the other player mucked.By not betting the flop he kept the pot smaller and made his raise on the turn mathematicly the best way to protect his hand .When talking to him later he told me he had AK.How many of you would check AK on the flop in that spot?

brad
12-24-2002, 04:06 PM
well i cant think of a better flop to give free cards.

Ed Miller
12-24-2002, 05:06 PM
I think the play was ok here because no overcards could come to his pair... and no straight or flush draws are on board. The pot is a little small for this play, though... it will also tend to freeze players up when he unexpectedly checks behind on the flop when he actually has nothing. I think it was fine, though I probably would have bet the flop.