PDA

View Full Version : Good Food in Vegas

cocked&locked
06-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Hi there,

The wife and I are heading to Vegas at the end of June, and would like to thoroughly gorge ourselves. I have a personal goal of gaining 5 to 10 lbs in the week that I will be there (bonus points for every pound over 10 /images/graemlins/blush.gif).

I tried to use the search engine to find good eats in vegas, but couldn't find any threads. This means 1) that this has never been discussed or 2) I'm a moron when it comes to using the search engine. Hmmmm - I'm going with option 2. Anywho, I still need some good advice, so I'm going to toss this out there.

I'm interested to hear your opinions on where I can find some good ribs, wings, other tasty animal products, and other good food (please refrain from the cow vs. vegetable debate). I'm trying to get a list together of "must eat at" places while I'm there trying to accomplish my goal. FYI, I'm not a picky eater, so comments on all types of cuisine are appreciated. I'm not into spending a bundle on each meal, but I don't mind splurging for a couple of good meals while I'm there either.

I've already hit pubcrawler.com to get the lowdown on the microbreweries in Vegas. I'll be hitting most of them because I'm a serious microbrew whore. Any ideas on which are the best? - I'm into good IPA's mostly, but also like the wheats, stouts, and... (Ah who am I kidding, I like to drink them all).

Thanks for the help.

StevieG
06-02-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I've already hit pubcrawler.com to get the lowdown on the microbreweries in Vegas. I'll be hitting most of them because I'm a serious microbrew whore. Any ideas on which are the best? - I'm into good IPA's mostly, but also like the wheats, stouts, and... (Ah who am I kidding, I like to drink them all).

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a microbrewery in the Monte Carlo, and you can order their beers while playing in the Monte Carlo poker room. I liked the wheat and stout there.

The Brick & Mortar forum may be a better place for this restaurant question, if only because the topic is covered there often. Try searching through "Brick & Mortar" for threads on Vegas restaurants.

Also, if you post this question at B&M, you might want to be more specific than "carnivore." There are many restaurants in Vegas, and many people in the B&M forum who live in LV or have spent a lot of time there. The more specific you are about what you want to eat (sit-down vs. buffet, price range, cuisine) the better the advice you will receive.

Good luck, have fun, eat well.

cocked&locked
06-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I'll give the Monte Carlo a try.... and the B&M forum.

Bill C
06-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Eating on the strip has gotten just ridiculouly pricey. But if you head west on any of the major streets, (Flamingo, Desert Inn, Sahara, Charleston, etc) and go a mile or more, you start seeing good places that have much more reasonable prices and good food.

I live about 6 miles west of the strip, just off W. Charleston, and there are at least a dozen very decent places to eat within a mile or so, such as PF Changs, Kona Grill, Bertolini's, etc.

If you have a car it might be worth a little drive...

bill c

goofball
06-02-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eating on the strip has gotten just ridiculouly pricey. But if you head west on any of the major streets, (Flamingo, Desert Inn, Sahara, Charleston, etc) and go a mile or more, you start seeing good places that have much more reasonable prices and good food.

I live about 6 miles west of the strip, just off W. Charleston, and there are at least a dozen very decent places to eat within a mile or so, such as PF Changs, Kona Grill, Bertolini's, etc.

If you have a car it might be worth a little drive...

bill c

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't the cheesecake factor near that area?

chucksim
06-02-2005, 02:15 PM
The Brew Pub at the Main St. Station is good on a lot of counts. Good brews, nice portions of quality "bar food" (burgers, wings, etc), all at reasonable prices. They even have a sushi bar in there that had good quality stuff.

Based on your post, I think you'd really like it.

hogua
06-02-2005, 03:05 PM
I agree that the MB's at the Monte Carlo and Main Street are hard to beat. Both are great.

For the carnivore in you, I suggest the Prime Rib Loft at The Orleans. Awesome decor, service, food and price. Prime Rib Dinner is just $12 and it's incredibly good! They have their own butcher shop on premises and they age the beef for 21 days. In any other prime rib joint you'd play three times for less quality and quantity.

HDPM
06-02-2005, 03:08 PM
It's good, and a very good value, but incredibly good? No. Canal Street at Orleans also serves a decent steak.

Delmonicos for steak in Las vegas of course.

swede123
06-02-2005, 03:09 PM
If you like P.F. Chang type food check out The China Grill at Mandalay Bay. It's much better than P.F. Chang and a nice ambiance for dates etc. Most portions are (generous) family size servings so sharing is encouraged. In particular get their Caesar salad. It's $16 but oh my, do those sixteen bucks buy you alot of salad! I'm not kidding when I say that two full size males can eat themselves full on nothing but that salad, it's that big!

Swede

Bill C
06-02-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
isn't the cheesecake factor near that area?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.
Right near the Kona Grill.
bc

wonderwes
06-02-2005, 08:01 PM
FatBurger is good 24 hrs. Also Mr Lucky's at Hard Rock is always good. I dig the wolfgang puck's resturant at MGM. There is a Chipotle in Harrahs. And who can forget In-n-Out Burger.

Its easy to see, my choice of eats is quite low key.