PDA

View Full Version : AK for 3 bets?

Kevin J
12-24-2002, 12:05 PM
I was amazed that not even a single person questioned skp's pre-flop call with AK in a 5-way pot for 3 bets having the worst position at the table. Am I really the only one who would consider folding AK here?

It's 5-way AND 3 bets. Isn't the strong likelihood that some of your cards are tied up, important?

It's 5-way AND 3 bets. Flopping top pair/best kicker type hands just aren't going to win this pot often enough. You'll most likely be drawing both before and after the flop, and many times it will be to overcards or a gut-shot. Aside from a gut-shot (which you'll often need to go for), it seems all too easy to make post-flop mistakes. That is, calling when you should fold and folding when you should call. Also being out of position can't help.

Have I found a huge flaw in my game? The fact is, even though I'll often make it 3 bets with AK, I'll rarely play it for 3 bets unless I feel quite sure that one of the raises isn't legit. And even then, I'd prefer having position and the pot be shorter-handed. I really don't think this hand is so special for 3 bets. Then again, I don't think many hands are. In my games (and it sounds like skp's too) it seems there are just too many better spots to get your money in.

I think I would've been more inclined to play the 55 in his post than the AK.

btw- I'm assuming skp's AK was offsuit. Suited does sway me. Having an additional way to make the nuts means something, especially in a 5-way pot. If EVERYONE disagrees with me here, then I guess I should re-think this. Thanks.

brad
12-24-2002, 12:38 PM
havent read skps post yet (its so big, replies) but i tend to agree with you.

i would think it wins no more than its fair share so EV=0, but in tough games its got to be toast. (and in really great games better places to get your money in.)

Ed Miller
12-24-2002, 05:00 PM
skp specifically said that the 3-bettor was a loose raiser. I would call a loose raiser's 3-bet here. I probably would muck to two tight raisers.

Johnny Ace
12-24-2002, 05:08 PM
I'm with you. Even with a loose raiser AK off is not much better than crap here. It ain't gonna win enough to pay 3 bets 2.5 bets whatever before the flop.

brad
12-24-2002, 05:21 PM
as jim would say youre in a parlay situation where both UTG and loose raiser (who still gets quality cards sometimes) have to have hands that dont cripple yours.

or they can have your cards you miss the flop and somebody else wins, etc.