PDA

View Full Version : 9 Max Tables - Can someone explain the theory

Gwin
06-02-2005, 10:21 AM
What gives with having a 9 max table? Im talking $1/$2 limit. Im sure there must be some reason for it, just curious what it is...I try to go to the tables with 10 people but Im wondering what effect that really has on the game...

DavidC
06-02-2005, 10:42 AM
guesses:

More hands per hour, higher vpip, psychological effect of having less players, higher rake per player (therefore more rake to party at the end of the day).

--Dave.

KingOtter
06-02-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What gives with having a 9 max table? Im talking $1/$2 limit. Im sure there must be some reason for it, just curious what it is...I try to go to the tables with 10 people but Im wondering what effect that really has on the game...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the real difference is mostly psychological, but there is a mathematical difference, too.

Your hand is more powerful, and has a greater chance to win with less players. I'm sure the biggest whine we hear about is cracked aces, and cracked kings... well, with less players they are stronger hands, and more likely to win. People like that.

Look at 10 players (http://wizardofodds.com/holdem/10players.html) vs 8 players (http://wizardofodds.com/holdem/8players.html).

KO

Gwin
06-02-2005, 04:05 PM
So would you change your strategy at all vs. playing a 10 player game. I would imagine not but just curious. I usually play by the tight microlimit call sheet listed in the FAQ of this forum.

Isura
06-02-2005, 06:25 PM
9-max plays the same as 10-max (strategy wise). It's like having a super tight UTG1 folding every hand. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DavidC
06-02-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
9-max plays the same as 10-max (strategy wise). It's like having a super tight UTG1 folding every hand. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

"Aces, [censored]! These always just get me into trouble."

MrWookie47
06-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Even the red ones? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rah
06-02-2005, 09:18 PM
Even the black ones??

Siegmund
06-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Party's incentive in offering both 9 and 10 handed MIGHT be an idea that they'll get more rake off one vs the other. It is odd to be offered a choice.

But it MIGHT simply be a matter of people wanting to play the game they are familiar with. B&M games are always played 9-handed the places I have played (west coast) while I understand 10-handed is the norm in the East. Online, Absolute only offers 9-handed games while most other sites offer only 10-handed - and it may or may not be a coincidence that their cardroom manager came from the west.