PDA

View Full Version : NLH heads up questions

dronkey
06-02-2005, 08:37 AM
This is my first post. To begin I want to thank everybody on this forum for sharing all the usefull information. I have been reading for a couple of months and my game has improved a lot.

I have doubts about what to do in the following, very common heads up situation. You are heads up in a tournament, or a sit 'n go, and have about T7500 your opponent has T2500. Your opponent is a decent tight player but you are the better heads up player. The blinds are T200/400. You have AKsuited in the big blind. Your opponent goes all in.
You are quit sure that he would not do that with AA or KK,
you put him on a smaller pocket pair. Giving you a 50/50 shot.
Do you call or do you fold?
What do you do when when you have T6500 and your opponent T3500?

dronkey

pergesu
06-02-2005, 08:43 AM
They're both pretty marginal. +0.6% and +0.5% according to SNGPT. Considering that next hand you're correct to push any two cards, you should pass this up. That'd be my guess, anyway.

curtains
06-02-2005, 08:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They're both pretty marginal. +0.6% and +0.5% according to SNGPT. Considering that next hand you're correct to push any two cards, you should pass this up. That'd be my guess, anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we on crack here? Putting your opponent on a small pocket pair here is ridiculous, they could be pushing any number of things. This is so obvious a call I'm surprised the poster wasn't flamed by now.

Also you don't pass up such small edges headsup (.5% like you said, which is actually extremely large) with 200-400 blinds, it's totally ridiculous and you will get crushed in that phase of the game doing so.

* to the OP - your post is basically a useless theoretical quesiton, because any player who has any clue will push with hands like J9o there and will not be restricted to any pocket pair. Also there is absolutely no way you could "read" them for a pocket pair based on their action.

37offsuit
06-02-2005, 08:53 AM
Call here, every time. There is T600 overlay on a coin flip (if that's where you're at), there's also the chance that you're way ahead (Ax or Kx), if you win the race you win first place if you lose, you're even in chips and are still the better player. Since you say that your opponent is "a decent tight player" I'm assuming that he folds too much, so even if you lose the race, you can go back to chipping away at him.

That's the whole point of chipping away in the first place. Sooner or later, your opponent will make a stand. If they keep getting down to a 3 to 1 chip defeciet and then racing for all their chips, sooner or later they'll lose, even if you're a dog for the race sometimes.

pergesu
06-02-2005, 08:56 AM
I'm not on crack, he said the guy had a PP that wasn't AA or KK. Yeah, his range is WAY wider than that, but I was just answering the question.

Lemme ask you somethin. Next hand, hero should push any two cards, right? So why wouldn't we want to skip this, where we KNOW we're a dog, in order to have a situation next hand where it's guaranteed to be +EV?

I realize that the circumstances in OP are ridiculous, but to answer his question, shouldn't we pass it up this one time so we can push to our heart's content the next few hands?

curtains
06-02-2005, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not on crack, he said the guy had a PP that wasn't AA or KK. Yeah, his range is WAY wider than that, but I was just answering the question.

Lemme ask you somethin. Next hand, hero should push any two cards, right? So why wouldn't we want to skip this, where we KNOW we're a dog, in order to have a situation next hand where it's guaranteed to be +EV?

I realize that the circumstances in OP are ridiculous, but to answer his question, shouldn't we pass it up this one time so we can push to our heart's content the next few hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, its not +EV if your opponent plays well and calls with a proper calling range. Against an opponent who plays well, it should be -EV to push with bad cards.

Phil Van Sexton
06-02-2005, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you already say it was "+0.6% and +0.5%" against QQ-22? Calling is guaranteed to be +EV right now.

Yes, you could push the next hand, but that only gets you back to where you were before this hand started. If he pushes on the hand after that, you will fold and now you are down.

When I have a 3:1 chip lead, I'm taking a coin flip rather than just giving up my blinds to a "decent" opponent. I'm not going to let him steal his way back into contention. He's going to have to double up at least twice to beat me.

In a real hand, there's no way to put him on a pair as Curtains said. In this case, I'm calling with any Ace, almost any pair, and often any 2 broadway.

pergesu
06-02-2005, 09:09 AM
I just decided to simulate the next hand in SNGPT, account for the change in stacks due to posted blinds. It said push any two cards, unless I threw it on maniac setting. So it's not -EV to push crap cards next hand...which is the point I'm getting at. If it's correct to push the next hand, which is actually likely to be better than +0.5%, then shouldn't it be correct to fold this hand? Fold a slightly positive EV situation to get to a more positive EV situation, and likely a couple of them in a row.

pergesu
06-02-2005, 09:12 AM
I dunno, I'm just trying to think about this, that's all.

I call AKs here every time. I have to know he has AA or KK for me to fold.

And I could be way wrong about everything, that's why I'm just trying to think about it.

CaptSensible
06-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Personally, I call without hesitation here. My card selection becomes very wide heads up. I'm definitely not a pro by a looooong shot but even if you lose you're still in the game and there is STRONG chance he has weaker cards. such as J 9, K T, K Q, etc...Just my 2 cents from a player still learning /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dronkey
06-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks for your reactions. Don't get me wrong, I would always call in both situations, unless I was absolutely sure that my opponent had AA or KK.

All I'm trying to figure out is if there are situations where you should walk away from a 50/50 situation, when you are the chipleader and a loss a) brings you back to level or b) puts you behind. Pure theory yes. Useless? Why?

I am just a dronkey.