PDA

View Full Version : Computers And The Lost Art Of Handwriting

dsm
06-02-2005, 06:24 AM
Whenever we're hiring for my department I have to look through work applications. I find that those with the most computer experience often have the worst handwriting skills. One guy I work with can probably type 100 words per minute, but when he occasionally has to write something down on paper his printing looks a little worse than the example I found below (minus the grammatical errors). As for writing in longhand...forgetaboutit! That REALLY seems to be disappearing all together (at least among males), which I'm guessing has to do with all the time spent writing on computers.

[some serial killer's writing]
http://www.eyrie.org/omega/HannibalsHandwriting.gif

thatpfunk
06-02-2005, 06:40 AM
good riddance.

introv
06-02-2005, 06:47 AM
yup my handriteing is awful but my speling grandma and vocaburary is good

jakethebake
06-02-2005, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
writing in longhand

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?

thatpfunk
06-02-2005, 09:07 AM
I think cursive, but who knows.

I see no reason for decent handwriting, as long as it is legible. It pisses me off that it was graded in elementary.

jakethebake
06-02-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I see no reason for decent handwriting, as long as it is legible. It pisses me off that it was graded in elementary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. Agreed. Undortunately, I can't type either, though.

dsm
06-02-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think cursive

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, sorry. Longhand was the expression used when I was in grammar school back in 1906.

BusterStacks
06-02-2005, 10:17 AM
I always had horrible handwriting. It was like a huge weight off my shoulders when I could type as fast as I could talk. Teachers liked receiving typed papers and I enjoyed writing them as it was way faster.

rusellmj
06-02-2005, 10:35 AM
I was just talking to my mom about this. She said they actually had penmanship class when she went to school. LIke most of the posters so far mine isn't so great. I actually tried to find a book or anything that would give me direction for the purpose of communicating more effectively at work. No such luck. I'm sure one of our resident linkmeisters could find something.

tbach24
06-02-2005, 10:39 AM
I had finals this week and we're supposed to write all the essays by hand...well I was like "umm my hand hurts can I use the computer" and they were like "fine whatever" and so I got to type since writing sucks. haha during midterms in february they didn't want to let me use a computer for typing so I got to use a word processor. Loudest thing ever

Pocket Trips
06-02-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
haha during midterms in february they didn't want to let me use a computer for typing so I got to use a word processor. Loudest thing ever

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean typewriter??? If so I feel really old as well as hung over right now /images/graemlins/mad.gif

jakethebake
06-02-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was just talking to my mom about this. She said they actually had penmanship class when she went to school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf? You never had to take penmanship? Have the stopped teaching kids to write at all? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

tbach24
06-02-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
haha during midterms in february they didn't want to let me use a computer for typing so I got to use a word processor. Loudest thing ever

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean typewriter??? If so I feel really old as well as hung over right now /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No...it's a word processor. There's a little screen on it where you can see what you type and then at the end there's a print button. They're annoying to use.

TimM
06-02-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[some serial killer's writing]
http://www.eyrie.org/omega/HannibalsHandwriting.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not handwriten, it is a font.

gvibes
06-02-2005, 12:50 PM
The only class I ever got close to failing in my education were my first and second grade penmanship classes (well, and CS 311, database systems, but that is only because homework was worth 50% of the grade and I didn't hand in a single assignment).

Now, I haven't really handwritten anything in years, but July 26th and 27th is the bar exam, and it will be handwritten. I'm already having nightmares. I'm actually practicing writing.

Talk2BigSteve
06-02-2005, 01:00 PM
My mother tells me that she purchased my first computer when I was 9 for Christmas, that would have been 1983. This is what she got...

http://www.computercloset.org/Atari_800_Alone.jpg

I can type very well, but I must agree my handwriting sucks!!

Living, Learning, and Laughing.

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

offTopic
06-02-2005, 01:33 PM
My handwriting was never great to begin with, but now it sucks so bad, I'm surprised that more people don't question me when I sign for a credit card purchase.

Blarg
06-02-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does me, too.

Boys develop the motor skills for good handwriting later than girls do, and when I was a kid, good handwriting was equated with every good social characteristic imaginable, from friendliness to intelligence, and poor handwriting was spoken of as if it signalled conclusively the opposite. Not very fair to young kids, who have trouble writing well in the first place, and to young boys in particular, who simply develop differently than young girls do in that regard.

In Europe, I understand, handwriting "analysis," which I think has no more validity than astrology or numerology, is supposedly very commonly considered in job applications and suggested as a legitimate basis for psychoanalysis. Very sad and very scary that having better or worse fine motor control is foolishly promulgated as indicative of absolutely every sort of fitness.

My handwriting is terrible, so I learned to print instead of using cursive, as it's easier to read. Better, I learned to type, so I wouldn't have to either subject people to my chickenscratch or be judged by it.

dsm
06-02-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
July 26th and 27th is the bar exam, and it will be handwritten. I'm already having nightmares. I'm actually practicing writing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nightmares, damn. Good luck.