PDA

View Full Version : Editing

sameoldsht
06-02-2005, 03:40 AM
First, here's a disclaimer: I love the 2+2 books and these forums. I have learned a lot from them and they have helped me learn the complex game of poker.

Now here's some criticism from months and months of viewing these forums.

Does the site have an editor for the monthly magazine? Do Mason, David, Ray, etc. consider that the quality of what they write here and how they post it can affect their book sales? Actually, I won't even go into the books. I know there are disclaimers in some of your books about the authors not being, well, "writers". But man...talk about needing an editor.

For example, 2+2 is a "publishing company", yet I read things like this in the June edition of the Internet Magazine:

"One of the new innovations in poker rooms are shuffling machines."

"Not only do they deal less hands, but it's my experience that..."

Both are simply grammatically incorrect.

And:

"If you're playing somewhere and they don't yet have these machines, next a moment to talk to management requesting them."

"Rather it is the fact that the moment I called I said to myself 'Five-our of spades.' "

Both have obvious typos and one has grammatical errors as well.

Ray recently wrote in a post:
"tipping is a sore subject so i thought i would revive it.

since some card rooms have shuffling machines about five more hands an hour are dealt. and dealers have less hand work to do that affects the health of their wrists and hands.
doesnt the more hands per hour equate to a raise for the dealers and less work to boot. should tips be lessend.
most would say no i think. but what if technology brought the speed of the game to 90 hands an hour. should dealers reap that new reward as well. if not are we tipping the amount for the hand or are we paying to increase the dealers hourly rate. if so what to."

Another poster commented that there are no capitalized words in the entire post. I note that there is also a misspelling and a lack of some basic punctuation. A ten year old can spot questions with no "?" at the end of the sentence.

Man, take a moment and review your work carefully. At least run it through MS Word or some software that will alert you to the obvious errors. You are professional writers, right? The subject matter does not matter. Write correctly if you're going to call yourself an author.

Look, I owe most of my poker winnings to your written advice and strategies and I realize that these forums aren't meant to be an English classroom. But I'm an anal Eats, Shoots & Leaves (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592400876/qid=1117695614/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-7741203-5453727) kind of guy and it drives me nuts to read high school level (maybe) writing coming from folks who write "2+2 Publishing Company" beneath their name.

It's kind of like a radio station broadcasting perfectly clearly, but there's a one second interruption every few seconds. You understand what's being said, but it's just annoying to listen to (or read in this case).

Proper grammar, punctuation, etc. makes what you write more easily understood and I am positive that all of you want to be understood or you wouldn't write anything to begin with.

ok rant over. flame away. i'm shore some will find errers in my post allso. please keep writting guys evan if it come in bad formm /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Peace,
SOS

toots
06-02-2005, 12:34 PM
I wholly agree.

And given the number of poker books they've sold, I'm still amazed that they can't find the money to have someone edit them.

BarronVangorToth
06-02-2005, 02:11 PM
As Mason has posted in another thread, the problem sounded like it wasn't an editorial one, but rather one in the transfer of the articles from one program to another.

I have to edit all of the content for the site for my WWE card game, and I can't tell you all the problems I have with writers sending me articles in a bunch of different programs and what happens by the time I get them to the webmaster who then has to post them to be 'net ready and all the little characters and glitches that can occur...

They know about the problem and I'm sure are taking steps to make sure it doesn't happen in the future. We really have to cut them a little slack for while the poker craze has gotten nuts in the last few years, they were a smaller company just relatively recently and there are always the proverbial growing pains as a company catches up with the exponentional growth.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

ptmusic
06-02-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Proper grammar, punctuation, etc. makes what you write more easily understood and I am positive that all of you want to be understood or you wouldn't write anything to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wrote a great post. I can't resist your dare, however:

one should not end a sentence with a preposition, you missed an obvious comma after "understood", and the first verb should be the plural "make"!

-ptmusic

ptmusic
06-02-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As Mason has posted in another thread, the problem sounded like it wasn't an editorial one, but rather one in the transfer of the articles from one program to another.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that many of the errors have nothing to do with technology.

[ QUOTE ]
We really have to cut them a little slack for while the poker craze has gotten nuts in the last few years, they were a smaller company just relatively recently and there are always the proverbial growing pains as a company catches up with the exponentional growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a run-on sentence with improper pronouns, and "gotten" is an incorrect tense form.

-ptmusic

p.s. Of course, editing posts is silly and a bit unfair. But OP is right. 2+2 needs an editor for their magazine and for their otherwise fantastic books.

BarronVangorToth
06-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Your point is valid, although I'm not sure why you corrected my grammar as I certainly didn't do that to you (or anyone else) for that matter, nor was it my point.

The whole grammar-correct in posts is really one of the most tired gimmicks on boards, as a whole.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

ptmusic
06-02-2005, 07:25 PM
You're right - sorry. I was just having a little fun; I suppose it's my "geeky" english side trying to balance out the "geeky" math side which I've focused on so heavily since I've become very involved with poker.

But I'm not very involved with this forum. I wasn't aware that playing the role of grammar police is a tired subject here. Anyway, I didn't mean to single you out; sorry.

To sum up my position: editing posts for grammar is useless (and I'll stop), but editing the magazine and the books for grammar should be a priority.

2+2 is a BIG DEAL, and I believe it should strive for the same standards in presentation as it does in material.

-ptmusic

fyodor
06-02-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2+2 is a BIG DEAL,

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Deal by Anthony Holden was published by Bantam not 2+2
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LittleOldLady
06-05-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wholly agree.

And given the number of poker books they've sold, I'm still amazed that they can't find the money to have someone edit them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not know anything about how the earlier 2+2 books were put together, but I do know that Ed Miller's books were edited (by several people with appropriate credentials) for content, style, and mechanics. There is no such thing as a perfect book. If I recall, many years ago a substantial prize was established for a published book found to have zero errors, and that money has never been claimed to my knowledge. SSHE and GSIH are not replete with grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors, although, like every other book ever published, they do contain a small number of errors that slipped by the several people who read the manuscripts.

The online magazine articles are another matter....

LOL

Jim C
06-07-2005, 02:46 AM
I as a reader and consumer of such literature, couldn't care less about its grammatical correctness.

Give me real the goods about modern poker and I'll accept that over perfect grammar any day!

DigitalMonkey
06-07-2005, 10:33 AM
A comma after 'understood' is not necessary.

InkyWretch
06-07-2005, 07:26 PM
As my nickname implies, I'm a newspaperman.

The sloppiness of some Web sites' content bothers me. Mainly because it's so easily fixable. The complaints about the 2+2 online magazine could be applied to ESPN.com.

And I'm not talking about message board postings. There's a difference between those and "articles" written for an online publication.

I'd be glad to give the articles a once-over. I won't break out the fine-toothed comb, but what do you expect for free?

ptmusic
06-07-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A comma after 'understood' is not necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/commas.htm (and everything I remember from grammar school), it is proper to have a comma between two independent clauses.

"Contending that the coordinating conjunction is adequate separation, some writers will leave out the comma in a sentence with short, balanced independent clauses.... If there is ever any doubt, however, use the comma, as it is always correct in this situation."

Anyway, as we've discussed in this thread, I was jokingly criticizing a post, as opposed to a book or magazine article. So in that sense, it is indeed not "necessary" to have a comma.

-ptmusic