PDA

View Full Version : Ace-mid in late position

Newt_Buggs
06-02-2005, 03:06 AM
$50+5, no reads
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 (t1385)
MP2 (t1485)
Hero (t830)
Button (t1155)
SB (t2315)
BB (t895)
UTG (t1935)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t250</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t100.

Flop: (t550) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero?

Final Pot: t1710

preflop:
putting the button on a tight hand range (AQ+, 88+), the SB on a moderately tight (77+,A8+), and the BB on a fairly loose calling range (22+, A2+, KJ+) I will take down the blinds without a fight 68.8% of the time while holdin A7o. This combined with the number of pots that I take down with a continuation bet makes me think that this is a worthwhile raise.

Its horribly weak, but does anyone consider folding to the t100 mini reraise?

flop:
time to check/fold? If so then should i have called the extra 100 pf?

tigerite
06-02-2005, 05:22 AM
I wouldn't have raised in the first place with blinds only 25/50, they aren't worth stealing, and this is a steal with A7o.

FatBoyPete
06-02-2005, 05:25 AM
this is a toss preflop, not even worth a call here - also a fold to the reraise imo, and an easy check check fold after the flop if the preflop raiser min. raised you and checked for you on the flop.

tigerite
06-02-2005, 05:45 AM
Yes I should have added, as you should hardly ever just call with 25/50 blinds (and certainly not in such a late position) it's a fold for me, as I can't see what raising achieves.

Newt_Buggs
06-02-2005, 05:48 AM
I agree, I should have probably let it go preflop. What about if hero was on the button? I think that folding this on the button is too weak tight when you have the best hand so often. If you raised 3bb here on the button and the hand played out the same way what would you do?

tigerite
06-02-2005, 05:52 AM
It's not weak-tight, A7o is just not ahead of enough hands by enough to make it worthwhile with 25/50 blinds. Even if he calls with KQ, KJ, etc, hands you are legitimately 'ahead' of, the chances are the flop won't favour you. Now if it was AJ+ it's different because you will dominate many hands he will call with and also be a better bet against mid pairs like 88 and so forth.

Can I just add that no, it's not weak-tight to fold to a re-raise either, the reason you raised with this hand in the first place is so that you could fold to a re-raise, right? This is a key concept in Sklansky's advanced tournament poker. You are raising here for a steal, nothing more, this hand cannot stand a re-raise.

Newt_Buggs
06-02-2005, 06:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not weak-tight, A7o is just not ahead of enough hands by enough to make it worthwhile with 25/50 blinds. Even if he calls with KQ, KJ, etc, hands you are legitimately 'ahead' of, the chances are the flop won't favour you. Now if it was AJ+ it's different because you will dominate many hands he will call with and also be a better bet against mid pairs like 88 and so forth.

Can I just add that no, it's not weak-tight to fold to a re-raise either, the reason you raised with this hand in the first place is so that you could fold to a re-raise, right? This is a key concept in Sklansky's advanced tournament poker. You are raising here for a steal, nothing more, this hand cannot stand a re-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
on the button A7o is going to be a coinflip or dominated (any pocket or any higher A) 23.9% of the time and dominated 17.7% of the time. To me it looks like you're giving up a lot by folding here.

Also, I'm more than happy if he calls with KJo since I'm the aggressor with position. 2/3 of the time that he calls he's going to miss the flop and most of the time let me take away a net profit of 175-200 chips with a continuation bet.

Folding to a reraise is frustrating because you only need to put in 100 to take down 550 chips.

NYCNative
06-02-2005, 07:47 AM
Fold preflop.

curtains
06-02-2005, 08:09 AM
I fold this preflop almost always. With like 500 chips I push.