PDA

View Full Version : Ax from SB

atnels
06-01-2005, 11:41 PM
Okay, so I've been on the fence about completing with Ax from the SB for a long time now. I used to fold them no matter what, as is suggested in SSHE. However, as my playing style has grown, I've started to play ace-rag occasionally - when there are a few limpers, especially if they play poorly post-flop. Any thoughts on this?

<font color="green"> All opponents heading into flop are weak, with calling station gleanings. </font>

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks.

<font color="green"> Flop was obviously a check/fold for me. </font>

Turn: (2 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

<font color="green"> Hero's line?</font>

Jakesta
06-01-2005, 11:43 PM
FOLD PREFLOP. I don't think even perfect postflop play can make up the deficit that you inherit by playing this hand. A2o is garbage, total garbage. That said, bet this turn.

Firefly
06-01-2005, 11:44 PM
umm...bet?
As for completing...i don't do it, not to say that it's awful, but you have to play a crummy hand OOP.

gharp
06-01-2005, 11:47 PM
I've been thinking about mixing in some AXo myself from the SB myself, though I'm not sure about that X... /images/graemlins/wink.gif I'm interested in hearing how playing these A's turns out for you.

I think I'd bet this turn. This is why you played the A in the first place, right? This highlights one of the problems with playing these cards though -- crappy position.

atnels
06-01-2005, 11:53 PM
Everyone's saying bet. Are you all folding to a raise? Calling down?

If I would have said that MP3 was pretty agressive with position - suggesting he'd likely bet the turn if it was checked through to him - would anyone go for a checkraise?

gharp
06-02-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone's saying bet. Are you all folding to a raise? Calling down?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's raised behind me and folded to me, I'd probably fold, since you indicated the players are passive (and the pot's small). If it's raised and you get some callers, I'm guessing we have odds to try and catch a split when the board pairs (or spike our kicker) so I'd call.

[ QUOTE ]
If I would have said that MP3 was pretty agressive with position - suggesting he'd likely bet the turn if it was checked through to him - would anyone go for a checkraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if MP3 was aggressive with position he probably would've bet the flop and you would've folded. If you're 100% sure he'll bet the turn, I think a check-raise is OK. But I'd rather bet if you didn't know for sure (and how could you?)

You said your opponents were calling stations, so I'd expect them to call down with Jx and Kx (and Qx and Tx) on this board -- I'd hate to see 'em do it for free.

Kumubou
06-02-2005, 12:46 AM
Don't do that unless you are a top player; and top players don't place ace-crap out of position willingly.

That's what is no fun about playing ace-rag. You spike an ace and you may as well be holding KK -- you have no idea if your hand is good or not.

I guess you can bet the turn now, but prepare to lose and/or jump ship to any heat.

-K

no1super2001
06-02-2005, 01:12 AM
Fold preflop. If you are going to play A-rag, at least do it with a positional advantage.

therockofgibraltar
06-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Well, I certainly wouldn't play A2o OOP /images/graemlins/smile.gif I do play Axo hand from SB sometimes but they are more likely to be something like &gt; A6o

diebitter
06-02-2005, 05:44 AM
Fold it

Exceptions for this are to use it for steals if just you and BB.

Maybe also for a family pot. The odds are so big here, you may as well. You'd be looking to flop a set, straight, or 3 of the Ace's suit though (on the point of the straight, I think A2-A5 problly has better EV than A6-A9, so you might want to dump the A6-A9 anyway).