PDA

View Full Version : inducing incorrect calling odds on draws on Party

Meatmaw
06-01-2005, 10:54 PM
I know HOH advises something like 1/2 pot to induce incorrect drawing odds. I'm wondering if you all do this for instance in level one with the starting chips of 1000 in the Party $55s. I've been betting 3/4 to 1 pot-sized bets when I have a hand that I feel is the best hand but suspect there may be draws. Is this too much and should I be trying to capitalize by making people make bad calls (and not leaning toward seizing the pot?

Big Limpin'
06-01-2005, 10:59 PM
SnGs, especially in the early going, are not about pulling full value out of hands. They are about not losing pots.
Just shut em out. And if they want to draw with even worse odds, so be it.

BradleyT
06-02-2005, 11:48 AM
HoH page 165.

Dr_Jeckyl_00
06-02-2005, 12:11 PM
I have not read HOH yet, but I don't think it matters to the villain if you bet 1/2 pot or more, if he is chasing a draw he is not getting proper odds. My feeling is to stick to 1/2 pot in case he hits his flush on turn or river and then bets you have saved some of your chips by betting the lower limit of what was a correct bet.

punterman
06-02-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm really interested in this topic, my aproach so far has been to bet as much as I think the drawer will call while still having bad odds. The thing I find hard to judge are the times that I need to take my own stack size into that calculation. Obviously if I'm going to pay off I do, but sometimes I'm going to toss my hand with ease so do I need ot count my stack at that time?

Also I've heard SNG's are about survival, so I guess that does lend itself to just shutting draws down. I haven't really been doing this, am I giving up too much?

hummusx
06-02-2005, 01:18 PM
I used to play the flop a lot stronger - pot sized bets to take the hand down NOW. Now I'm much more apt to take an approach advocated by HOH, namely to bet less than the size of the pot to attempt to get some value. There are so many people that are willing to call with AWFUL hands that you are throwing away too many chips if you always just try to push people out of the pots. Important things:

- Your desire to take the pot down now should be directly proportional to the size of the pot. As the pot gets bigger, the risk of losing that pot needs to weigh more than the value of getting a few more chips in the pot.

- Making smaller-than-the-pot bets with your legitimate hands lets you make smaller-than-the-pot continuation bets to take down pots that aren't really yours. This saves you money when someone plays back at you

- How scary the board is and how donky the donk is also play a factor. Your cards should rarely factor.