PDA

View Full Version : Fox and the Farmer

drewjustdrew
12-23-2002, 02:54 PM
Has anybody read this article by Chuck Thompson? I have heard it referred to many times in other poker literature. I have even heard Chuck talk about about it when I played with him at the WSOP one time. I cannot find the article on the Web anywhere. I think it was published by Cardplayer before they had a website. If someone has a copy of it, can they post it, or at least give me a summary of what it is about?

StoneAge
12-24-2002, 12:16 PM
I haven't read the article but I do know the fox and the farmer riddle, if that is what the article is about. The riddle is:
A farmer has a fox, chicken and bag of grain. He needs to get them to the other side of a river in a boat. He can only fit one of them in his boat at once. He can not leave the fox with the chicken because the fox will eat the chicken. He can not leave the chicken with the grain, the chicken will eat the the grain. How does he get all three across the river without anything getting eaten?

pudley4
12-24-2002, 04:17 PM
Kill the chicken, then bring the fox across, then the grain, then the chicken /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Easy E
12-25-2002, 12:39 AM
EAT the chicken, skin the fox to ward off the chill river winds, take the corn over in one trip

hillbilly
12-25-2002, 11:15 PM
i think the fox and the farmer story refers to different playing styles...the fox is always nipping at the pot, always on a steal... and the farmer is always laying back, just trying to survive...both tactics must be used, and at the right times, to be a good tournament poker player

Mark H
12-26-2002, 12:21 AM
The article is called The Wall Where The Farmer And The Fox Play Poker its reprinted from nov 5 1993 card player in Tom McEvoy's Tournement Poker and is about playing styles the farmer's play conservitive and the ones who get to the final table are short stacked More foxes bust out early but the ones who get to the final table have lots of chips TheReverend

Ted Geisel
12-27-2002, 07:46 AM
A truly fascinating non-sequitor: "I haven't read the article and, so, have no real idea what you are actually talking about, but here is what I am talking about".

StoneAge, let me guess ... you chase a lot of inside straights, do ya, because the flop sort of "looks" related to your hole cards ?

BruceZ
12-27-2002, 09:12 PM
Take the chicken, leaving the fox with the grain. Then bring the grain, and return the chicken. Then bring the fox. Then bring the chicken.

StoneAge
12-28-2002, 05:24 PM