PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical first hand situation in sng.

sapster
06-01-2005, 08:42 PM
I had an interesting situation come up today that made me think about this. If your only concern is money/hour, what is the worst hand you will call with from the BB if utg shoves and he tells you he hasn't looked at his cards (and is not lying). Assume either 55-109-215 sng with average array of players.

NYCNative
06-01-2005, 08:43 PM
I am not making that call without AA, KK or maybe QQ against Ray Charles and he's not only blind, he's dead.

Voltron87
06-01-2005, 08:46 PM
any hand that is 65% or better vs a random hand.

valenzuela
06-01-2005, 08:46 PM
any hand that wins over 54% of the time heads-up.

Myst
06-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Well, that depends on how big of an edge you cant afford to pass up to call an all in. If you want at least a 60% edge, then look up the hands that win at least 60 % of the time vs a random hand. If you want a 66% hand, you are getting into AKu, AJs+, and 77 territory.

I think this question also depends on your ROI. Assuming a 0% ROI is break even, if you have an ROI of 10%, then you have a 10% edge on your competition. Therefore, you should only take bets that give you a 10% edge or better.

I dont think I could pass up more than 63%, so Im calling with KQs, 66+, and AJ+.

sapster
06-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Wouldn't you be barely beating the rake then? Getting a stack early isn't that important If you are good at bubble play. I forgot to add that you have a 20% roi. I don't see why you have to call it a stupid question, but the other post about only calling with monsters also seems ridiculous.

The Yugoslavian
06-01-2005, 08:49 PM
You'd call with any hand that rates to put you ahead of the vig you just forfeited to party.

ICM would help demonstrate exactly how much of an edge you'd need for your extra 800 or 1000 chips to be worth enough for this.

If you're Gigabet playing a STEP 5 Higher...then you probably don't need the 'ICM' edge...b/c you will CRUSH with your extra chips.

Yugoslav

sapster
06-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Gigabet has nothing on me.... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

valenzuela
06-01-2005, 08:55 PM
I dont see why call it a stupid question so I edited out the moment i pressed start. Btw yugo Im making my call based on ICM, Imagine they kidnap you and force u to play 10+5 with party structure( payout and blinds) Ure not really folding a 60% edge are you?

Voltron87
06-01-2005, 08:56 PM
I thought that people usually say that ICM gets a little distorted when there are 9 players left, and that it can't really be used this early? It also depends on what you do with those chips, obviously they're much more valuable to someone like Gigabet rather than... xPun1sher.

The Yugoslavian
06-01-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought that people usually say that ICM gets a little distorted when there are 9 players left, and that it can't really be used this early? It also depends on what you do with those chips, obviously they're much more valuable to someone like Gigabet rather than... xPun1sher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well...I don't know how else to evaluate what I should call with. I guess I could just make sure I have a big overlay and then call...but given this unique opportunity I wan to profit from it as much as possible...since I've invested like 1 minute in this tourney...I'm okay with extracting a very slight edge (b/c in this hypothetical we *know* what our opponent holds...it's like an uber-read).

Yugoslav

SuitedSixes
06-01-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If you're Gigabet playing a STEP 5 Higher...then you probably don't need the 'ICM' edge...b/c you will CRUSH with your extra chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your man-love for Gigabet is frightening.

Moonsugar
06-01-2005, 11:46 PM
Damn you are tight, son.