PDA

View Full Version : Playing first hand at a table

the machine
06-01-2005, 08:12 PM
Foxwoods 1-2 no limit 100 max buy in game last night i post my blind and pick up 2d2c in late position. UTG+2 makes it 6 to go and 3 people call before me as do I. 7 to the flop and it comes 8s 7h 2h giving me bottom set. original raisers bets 15 which is called by two people then raised to 60 by me. folds to the guy to my right who after a minute and a half reraises me all in which i only had 34 left so i called. he had an over pair (of 9s with no heart which really despirited me since it was such a low pair so he really had no business in the pot after my raise) and turned a set to beat me. does anyone ever let this hand go before the 60 raise on the flop because of no possible reads since it is the first hand and still have 4 more people behind me to act. i decided if he had a bigger set, then he had a bigger set, oh well. i find it hard to play big hands when you first sit down because you have no idea where you are at. after he raised me i was dumbfounded to what he could have tp, hearts, set, or over pair.

Caballa
06-01-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he had an over pair (of 9s with no heart which really despirited me since it was such a low pair so he really had no business in the pot after my raise)

[/ QUOTE ]
I also get dispirited when I'm an 85% favourite. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
does anyone ever let this hand go before the 60 raise on the flop because of no possible reads since it is the first hand and still have 4 more people behind me to act.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. The frequency with which you'll be shown a higher set is low enough to make this a call every time at these limits.

[ QUOTE ]
after he raised me i was dumbfounded to what he could have tp, hearts, set, or over pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
The question of what hand villain has would be, for me, a mere passing thought as I shoveled my chips into the pot.

the machine
06-01-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The question of what hand villain has would be, for me, a mere passing thought as I shoveled my chips into the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats exactly what it was i didnt really think about what he had after i pushed them in since there is no way for me to figure it out. i really dont care what cards are out there cause anytime it happns i will play it the same way but just wanted to see if anyone has ever let a big hand like this go.

elus2
06-01-2005, 08:34 PM
just push when the action gets to you. you got the money in as a huge favorite so you shouldn't complain. for the most part it will be difficult to tell with a good degree of confidence where you are exactly in the hand on a raised pot with such small stacks. you got the flop you were looking for.

the machine
06-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Let me also make this point very clear since there are only a few people familiar with this game. It is FILLED with maniacs who like to gamble, do not understand any implied, pot, or effective odds of hands, can not read flop texture and love to bluff. For example in one other hand i hold q9 in late position and flop top pair with 2 clubs, (i dont remmber exactly what 2 cards they were qc xs xc, and this maniac bets out 5 into a 6 dollar pot and i know he has clubs so i do my best to push him off by betting 25 into a 15$ pot only to have him call my raise and hit his flush. This is why with many people behind me and called bets in front i wouldnt put it past some one to call 60$ with any draw o.e. str8 or flush and since there are many possibilities in this hand it was the only reason i wanted to see if in a game like this people might consider folding. i dont think i would ever fold though, ill take my chances against any other hand