PDA

View Full Version : Cinderalla Man - Call it a hunch, BUT

ClaytonN
06-01-2005, 07:32 PM
I have a good feeling (nothing more) that Giamatti will win best supporting actor for his role in this movie at next year's Oscars.

Call it a hunch.

I'm definitely seeing this flick. It'll either strengthen or null my argument.

mason55
06-01-2005, 09:03 PM
This movie is a very obvious grab for an oscar. Obviously without seeing the movie I can't say much but it will definitely have stiff competition with Crash. The one thing I worry is that Crash isn't being promoted that heavily as opposed to Cinderella Man, so hopefully the voters will remember it when Oscar time comes around.

ThaSaltCracka
06-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Chances are, if Russell is in it, its probably gonna be good.
The man pwns the box office, and Hollywood.

yoadrians
06-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Early reviews say Crowe is at his best, R.Z. does very well as the wife ... but not much mention of Giamatti.

mason55
06-01-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chances are, if Russell is in it, its probably gonna be good.
The man pwns the box office, and Hollywood.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. No one needs to see the movie to know that Crowe will be a front runner for an Oscar.

ThaSaltCracka
06-01-2005, 09:13 PM
IMO, Crowe is a phenominal actor, I have liked every movie he has been in. Actually, he should be in more movies, perhaps it could help kill all this filler we see all year churned out by the studios.

[censored]
06-01-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO, Crowe is a phenominal actor, I have liked every movie he has been in. Actually, he should be in more movies, perhaps it could help kill all this filler we see all year churned out by the studios.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about that crap with meg ryan a summer or two ago? proof of life or something like that.

ThaSaltCracka
06-01-2005, 09:30 PM
It wasn't bad though, besides, Tom Hanks and Tom Cruise make bad movies every now and then. Remember Philadelphia and Born on the 4th????

[censored]
06-01-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't bad though, besides, Tom Hanks and Tom Cruise make bad movies every now and then. Remember Philadelphia and Born on the 4th????

[/ QUOTE ]

True, besides I agree with your general premise that Crowe rules in all kinds of ways.

ThaSaltCracka
06-01-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True, besides I agree with your general premise that Crowe rules in all kinds of ways.

[/ QUOTE ]yeah, he consistenly is in the best movies.

-Skeme-
06-01-2005, 09:42 PM
The Insider was excellent. Gladiator is overrated. I didn't see Master & Commander. Or as I like to call it, "Gladiator On A Boat."

ClaytonN
06-01-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Early reviews say Crowe is at his best, R.Z. does very well as the wife ... but not much mention of Giamatti.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but there's always that factor of "Hi, we screwed you in previous Oscars, have this one"

Happens in many cases.

TStoneMBD
06-01-2005, 10:10 PM
crowe is ok . good actor but somewhat boring imo. what about that crappy movie where he was out on the ocean with his colonial dudes? i know im not the only one who didnt like it...

however im looking forward to seeing this one.

hmohnphd
06-01-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke?

ClaytonN
06-01-2005, 10:13 PM
I wasn't referring to Crowe, nor was I referring to the garbage movie "Master and Commander".

I'm saying since Giamatti got screwed over "Sideways". It's the rule of the Oscars, if you get screwed, any decent performance you have in the future will suddenly become a contender at the Oscars.

ClaytonN
06-01-2005, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have poor taste in movies.

Does this mean the good Tom Hanks movie was "You've got mail" and the good Tom Cruise movie was "Vanilla Sky"?

mason55
06-01-2005, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have poor taste in movies.

Does this mean the good Tom Hanks movie was "You've got mail" and the good Tom Cruise movie was "Vanilla Sky"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't tell me you just compared Vanilla Sky to You've Got Mail... PLEASE don't tell me that.

ClaytonN
06-01-2005, 10:17 PM
The only comparison in my mind is that they both sucked. I'm sorry if you liked Vanilla Sky, just chalk it up to a difference in opinion.

mason55
06-01-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only comparison in my mind is that they both sucked. I'm sorry if you liked Vanilla Sky, just chalk it up to a difference in opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand lots of people dislike Vanilla Sky and that's fine but I don't think it's even in the same class as You've Got Mail.

swede123
06-01-2005, 10:20 PM
I really enjoyed The Insider. L.A. Confidential is another awesome movie starring Crowe, as is A Beautiful Mind. You have to give him lots of credit for taking on widely differing roles and pulling them off well.

To the person who called Philadelphia and 4th of July bad movies I would have to go out on a limb and say that you don't know a good movie when you see it (unless you were joking by that comment).

Swede

TStoneMBD
06-01-2005, 10:22 PM
vanilla sky is one of my favorite movies of all time. tyvm.

Blarg
06-01-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I didn't hear anything negative out of anyone who saw either of those movies. I thought Cruise was fantastic in Born on the 4th of July, and it was a very good, super-watchable movie. Him and Willem Dafoe cussing each other out in wheelchairs and knocking themselves helplessly off the road into a ditch was incredibly funny, and strangely enough, something so perversely stupid that anyone I've ever talked to about the movie has admitted to recognizing that kind of perversely self-destructive stupidity in himself. And his fear of losing his leg -- that was down home, deep in your gut scary stuff. Cruise was nominated for an oscar for that film, and he should have won it.

The only people I heard of not liking that film were people politically opposed to it. As a movie, it's a damn good movie, whatever you feel about Ron Kovic or Vietnam.