PDA

View Full Version : Tricky Play?

StojkeAK
06-01-2005, 07:26 PM
This was in a friends home game
1/2 The villain is fairly tight but pretty agressive and he has me covered, my image is very tight/rockish, and I made this pla becasue I'm kind of worried of being too predictable.
I'm in the SB and am dealt 88. Villain raises to 8 from MP, button is only other caller.

Flop is A K 8 rainbow Pot:26
I lead out for 15 and the villain raises to 35, button folds
I call planning to c/r on the turn

Turn is a 3 (2 hearts on the board)
I check and he bets 50, I now go all in for 60 over his bet

What do you think? Is this play screaming set? Should I have check raised on the flop? I'm really trying to learn how to get more value out of my hands as I think that is a big leak in my game.

Also another thing I want to ask with out making a new thread is : What is the best way to increase my hand reading abilty? Just playing and paying attention?

jkkkk
06-01-2005, 07:33 PM
you played it perfectly as far as i'm concerned.

hand reading... pay attention to style and be agressive, you'll soon find out when someones holding a monster.

anacrime
06-01-2005, 07:39 PM
I think this is a good spot for a slow play. With a rainbow flop, I would slow play my set.

I think I would have just called his raise on the turn. A check raise with this board screams strength. If he has AK, he won't be laying it to down to your check raise and you will eventually get his whole stack in. If he has AQs or something and you check raise, he might lay it down. You want him to stay in with AQ. If he has a hand, he'd call your check raise and he'd also bet if you checked it to him on the river.

Caballa
06-01-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you think? Is this play screaming set?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not necessarily. The fact that you bet out on the flop would usually suggest an ace or A8, with the checkraise all-in on the turn being a continuation of A8 (or even A3, but that seems unlikely given your description of how you're perceived).

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have check raised on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Now that would look like a set.

Regardless, villain only has to call 60 for a pot of approximately 250 after your all-in. Even if he doesn't have AK, I can still see him calling with his high ace.

I think you played it very well.