PDA

View Full Version : Playing AA like a Chump... Stone 10/20

W. Deranged
06-01-2005, 05:37 PM
[I cross posted this in the Small Stake forum because I'm not entirely sure where live 10/20 hands belong...]

10/20 at Turning Stone.

The big limit game at the Stone is usually 20/40, populated almost entirely by regulars, but that was not going. So the 10/20 was the biggest game going. This is the first time I've sat down at the Stone above 5/10, and I picked a good night.

The table was EXTREMELY loose-aggressive. Several players were raising very weak hands pre-flop (Q9o behind three limpers and such), and AJo was an auto-three-bet hand for most players. There was one TAG in the game who was not invovled in the hand in question and two lag pre-flop types who played well post flop. The other players in the game were fish.

Seat 8 was a loose agressive pre-flop player who tended to play very well post flop. Seat 10 was a very poor player, who cold-called chronically pre-flop with weak hands and was perpetually chasing hands down to the river and mucking the river (these could be draws or pairs or pretty much anything). The game is 7-handed at this point.

Deranged is under the gun with A /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

Deranged (Seat 5) RAISES, seat 6 (tag) folds, seat 8 RE-RAISES, seat 9 folds, seat 10 (button) cold-calls three, seat 1 (SB) cold-calls 2.5, seat 2 (BB) cold-calls two, Deranged CAPS, all call.

5 to the flop capped, 20 SB.

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Check, Check, Deranged BETS, seat 8 RAISES, seat 10 cold-calls two, fold, fold, Deranged THREE-BETS, call, call.

Three to the turn for 29 SB.

Turn: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Deranged checks (????????), seat 8 checks, seat 10 checks.

River: 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Deranged checks (??????), seat 8 checks, seat 10 checks.

My obvious question is what line I should take on the turn and river. I don't think there's really much to say about the early streets. My general thought on the turn was that:

1) I had too much hand to fold for one bet at any point and wanted to get to a showdown as cheaply as possible. I did not want to give myself a chance to think about folding to a raise which could be a bluff.

2) The board was so draw heavy and the pot was so big that I was not going to be able to protect my hand on the turn against any kind of draw, even gutshots, particularly considering the looseness of the seat 10 player.

The river I think I may have just missed.

piggity
06-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Bet the turn. Re-evaluate if raised.

[ QUOTE ]
The board was so draw heavy and the pot was so big that I was not going to be able to protect my hand on the turn against any kind of draw, even gutshots, particularly considering the looseness of the seat 10 player.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reasoning is incorrect. You need to make the draws pay, not give them free cards.

dogmeat
06-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Your point (2) is absolutely true, because of the size of the pot, and the draw-heavy board, you would not be able to protect your hand (get anybody out). However, that is no reason to stop betting what may still be the best hand.

Bet the turn.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

W. Deranged
06-02-2005, 12:37 AM
Thanks... I thought after the hand that that was the only way to play. Against a tough, aggressive opponent (seat 8) I probably would call down even if raised, but I wouldn't be happy about it.

The Antagonizer
06-02-2005, 06:01 AM
I push preflop

Turning Stone Pro
06-02-2005, 09:01 AM
Let people know that I was sitting in this game.

[ QUOTE ]
Seat 10 was a very poor player, who cold-called chronically pre-flop with weak hands and was perpetually chasing hands down to the river and mucking the river (these could be draws or pairs or pretty much anything).

[/ QUOTE ]

TSP