PDA

View Full Version : Qiutting your job in style

Pocket Trips
06-01-2005, 05:01 PM
A co-worker of mine just quit today and he did it with style /images/graemlins/smile.gif He just went to the head of HR and said he got a job offer and that he was quitting effective immediately. No one in our group that he works in knew he was gone till our boss (who is a major prick) started paging him frantically when he wanted to hold one of his impromptu staff meetings that last for an hour and accomplish nothing. The HR manager had to come tell him that his client services manager just quit /images/graemlins/smile.gif

He didn't even say goodbye, FU, I will miss you guys, NOTHING... just got up from his desk and walked out of the building.

Does anyone have any good stories about you or your co-workers quitting or getting fired (sacked for you Brits)from the job?

DMBFan23
06-01-2005, 05:13 PM
in high school I worked at a local radio station (country station, rural southeast va). I was the board operator during NASCAR races, during which the station ran its own local commercials. I had to queue up the commercials, and switch the broadcast back and forth to and from the commercials when it was time.

one sunday night, a very important race got rain delayed, and it was like midnight when they restarted the race. there were like 20 laps to go, and there was only one more race left in the season. so, I figured I wasnt losing much by just switching the board back over to the country music and walking out, never to return.

not that cool a story until I was over at a friend's house the next week, and his dad was talking to some other guy, saying "yeah, dag nabbit, I was listenin to that there race fixin mah truck and the sumbitch just cut off! right near the end! the music just started playin, and the race wont there no mo!". since his dad didn't know I worked there, I figured I would let it slide. it did make me chuckle though.

Eurotrash
06-01-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
since his dad didn't know I worked there, I figured I would let it slide.

[/ QUOTE ]

by this I hope you meant that you wisely kept your mouth shut so he didn't blow your head off in a moonshine-induced haze with his squirrel-hunting gun because you prevented him from finding out if Darrell Waltrip held onto his lead

klagett
06-01-2005, 05:18 PM
I was a manager at a General Nutrition Center and the boss a step up from me the district manager was really on my ass. She was a total bitch.

No offense to women with somewhat decent positions, but the ones that feel like they have something to prove are the worst.

Anways, I came in to open the store one day and she was already on my ass about whatever. She mentioned how she had so much [censored] to do today and she was leaving for a flight in the evening. She went in the back office, I set my keys on the counter and walked out.

This is great because no store associates are available to work during the day until 5pm. So she had to either close the store for the day or stay there until 5 and work it herself.

My g/f said taht when she went to the mall at 4:30 she was still there.

[censored] that whore.

bernie
06-01-2005, 05:30 PM
In the archives I posted my last day at work. "Showdown with the boss..." I think it was called.

Take a gander if you can find it.

b

Eurotrash
06-01-2005, 05:31 PM
this was after you won that BBJ, right? I remember that post, it was a great read.

bernie
06-01-2005, 05:36 PM
here it is.

Im getting good at searching the archives. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

See ya, boss!!! (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=952479&page=&view=&sb =5&o=)

youtalkfunny
06-02-2005, 06:46 AM
I drove a van for an airport shuttle service. Mostly kids and old retired guys worked there. My car broke down, and one of the old guys was giving me a ride to work. He was being laid off, and had to go into the office to drop off his uniforms and other company property.

We chatted pleasantly the entire ride. When we got out of the car, I thanked him for the lift. He seemed distracted. He took a deep breath, and went inside with me.

We got into the office, and he immediately laid into the office manager, calling her every foul name he could think of. This was surreal. This little old guy was the nicest guy you would ever want to meet. He was going crazy.

The dispatcher came over to calm him down, but the old guy just turned on the dispatcher, calling him some choice words, and wanting to go outside with the guy.

I just sat back and watched, smiling.

When he finally left, everyone was flabbergasted.

Not me. I saw what he was doing. He was going to collect unemployment for being laid off, and he didn't want to get called back to work. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I did some community theather after high school, but that old guy put on the best performance I've ever seen.

The last job I quit (I gave notice, left on good terms, nothing dramatic), the boss asked me to write a letter of resignation. That was a first for me.

Later in the day, I saw him at lunch, and told him, "I put that letter on your desk, let me know if it's worded the way you want it."

The body of the very formal-looking letter read as follows:

Dear (Boss),

You can take this job, and shove it!

Sincerely,

(youtalkfunny)

theredpill5
06-02-2005, 07:24 AM
when I quit my job, I just never went back. I didn't even pick up my last pay check.

stigmata
06-02-2005, 07:30 AM
I started a really shitty job once, "popped out" for a smoke break on my first morning, and never came back.... Very liberating.

thebluepill
06-03-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
when I quit my job, I just never went back. I didn't even pick up my last pay check.

[/ QUOTE ]

how did that McDonalds ever get along without you?

theredpill6
06-03-2005, 11:38 AM
wow, pretty original there.

ElSapo
06-03-2005, 11:44 AM
None of these stories make sense to me -- why not fix the problem initially, or switch job's respectfully? What's so cool about telling someone to f'off when you're never going to see them again?

If you have something to say to someone, say it. Waiting until your safely hidden away (i.e. you quit) is just spineless. If you don't like your job, make it better or leave. Sitting there for however long, taking abuse and then leaving "in style" is nothing to be proud of, in my opinion.

Walking out even less so.

Pocket Trips
06-03-2005, 11:56 AM
We should all strive to be as mature as you... maybe someday

ElSapo
06-03-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's that or decide to either (a) not stay in jobs where people treat you like crap; (b) let people know you want to be treated better.

sfer
06-03-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite the sarcasm, you really should. Really.

bisonbison
06-03-2005, 12:15 PM

I'd rather they strive to be like me, then buy me drinks in Vegas.

sfer
06-03-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, you've never been to Vegas.

Is pokerjo going?

jakethebake
06-03-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is pokerjo going?

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome...! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DMBFan23
06-03-2005, 12:42 PM
if only that were a reply to a pjn post...oh well someday

bisonbison
06-03-2005, 12:46 PM

By drinks, I meant dances.

Alobar
06-03-2005, 01:17 PM
It doesnt get any better than scene in "Half baked"

RicktheRuler
06-03-2005, 01:26 PM
I had a boss who was a completely incompetent. Long story short he had put me in a position where I was unable to collect on various bonuses. In addition, he failed to follow through on a few deals I had put right in his lap--he was a total moron.

So, I stopped answering his calls. After four days I call him back and he wants to meet--we all telecommute. He tells me that he has fired people for less than what I did. I tell him "I have quit for less" and walk out of the room.

PWNED!

bernie
06-03-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you have something to say to someone, say it. Waiting until your safely hidden away (i.e. you quit) is just spineless. If you don't like your job, make it better or leave. Sitting there for however long, taking abuse and then leaving "in style" is nothing to be proud of

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. I'm damn happy about how I left my last job.

Depending on one's situation, leaving isn't always that easy. Especially if there isn't anything really available that is comparable to switch into. This was the case in many jobs from (apprx)2000-2004.

Be thankful you've never really been in the situation. It sucks. However, I do agree that one should be looking elsewhere while they're working if the place sucks. Not waiting until you have nothing to go to isn't really that smart.

b

meep_42
06-03-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

By drinks, I meant dances.

[/ QUOTE ]

So pokerjo is going...

-d

shant
06-03-2005, 04:14 PM
I got lit because a bunch of people bought me Jack shots at lunch. I went back, poured water all over my face and went around to everyone's desks pretending to cry and give tearful goodbyes with my tear-soaked face. I sent out an email company-wide telling everyone that most of them were cool and great to work with, but a few of them were jackasses who should work on that a little. Then I put "You're the Best" from the end of Karate Kid on blast, and dialed in the intercom and left it playing as I walked out doing the double-fist pump thing.

Someone took a pic of my fake-crying face and made a poster to hang behind their desk. I loved that place until I had to quit.

sexypanda
06-03-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then I put "You're the Best" from the end of Karate Kid on blast, and dialed in the intercom and left it playing as I walked out doing the double-fist pump thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good work sir!

MarkL444
06-03-2005, 08:56 PM
my friend and i used to work at a movie theatre. we were 15-16 at the time and making i think 5.50/hr. after about a year he got real pissed off at something (cant remember) and decided he was quitting right then. he was "taking tickets" at the time, just standing at a booth ripping ticket stubs for people. he waited until it got busy in the lobby, then he took off his work shirt and put it on the booth, so that it looked like the booth was wearing it. then he just snuck out the back door.