PDA

View Full Version : pushing a busted draw

chopchoi
06-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Level 1 (pokerroom) I have 1,600 chips, after winning a pot uncontested on the flop It checked to me on the button, I bet big and everyone folded.

2 hands later, I get A /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif with a bunch of limpers. I know this isn't a great hand, but the table has been very loose but passive, so I figure it can't hurt to see a cheap flop with it in decent position. I'm prepared to lay it down if I hit my ace and there is a lot of action.

6 players see the flop, which is K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif. An EP player with 1500 chips bets the pot (120 chips), a MP player calls, and I call.

The turn is another 4, EP bets 120 again, and we both call.

The river is a J. EP bets 250, MP folds. I put EP on a weak King, and wonder if he would lay it down if I pushed. I say what the hell, and throw down my stack. He calls with K9o.

He had what I thought he did, but I was wrong in thinking I could get him to lay it down.

Is this always a bad play, or are there situations where I should try a bluff-raise on the river with a busted draw?

barry111
06-01-2005, 04:32 PM
I dont think this works at the $10 or $15 table. What was the buy in?

chopchoi
06-01-2005, 04:40 PM
It was a $10+1. What is the lowest level you think this play would be profitable?

The more I think about it, the more convinced I become that it is probably never profitable, since low-limit players won't make the lay-down, and high limit players won't be in there with crap to begin with, and won't give you a good enough price to draw to your flush anyway.

But if anyone thinks it is sometimes a good play, I would be interested to know the circumstances under which it works.

MentalCombat
06-01-2005, 04:48 PM
You skipped on your best push opportunity, fake the 4 on the turn. I don't like pushing anywhere in this hand though.

chopchoi
06-01-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You skipped on your best push opportunity, fake the 4 on the turn. I don't like pushing anywhere in this hand though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it better to fake the 4 on the turn? If I had it, isn't it just as believable that I smooth-called the turn and waited till the river to push? Also, doesn't the river help me, since now he has to worry about KJ as well as the 4?

MentalCombat
06-01-2005, 05:13 PM
KJ he would have lost to you before the river so he already has to worry about it. You were playing a party 10, which means that by the river, your opponent already forgot about the turn. You have to think like a retard to beat a retard /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Make it OBVIOUS what you're pretending to have at that level if you want any hope for a laydown.

Eric Draven
06-01-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It was a $10+1. What is the lowest level you think this play would be profitable?

The more I think about it, the more convinced I become that it is probably never profitable, since low-limit players won't make the lay-down, and high limit players won't be in there with crap to begin with, and won't give you a good enough price to draw to your flush anyway.

But if anyone thinks it is sometimes a good play, I would be interested to know the circumstances under which it works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe 20+2... But more likely 30+3 I'd think... But it all depends on the player.