PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or is the Dead Money vanishing from No Limit Ring games?

DaveduFresne
06-01-2005, 04:15 PM
I first started playing for a living last November and was killing the NL cash games, despite the fact that my game had several leaks. Now my game is much more solid and I have very few leaks, and I seem to be making less and less by week.

Are others finding No Limit Ring Game profits to be dwindling?

I am considering possibly switching to either Limit Poker or No Limit SNG's. Anyone have experience with switching from No Limit Ring Games to either one? If so, more or less profitable?

Thanks,

David

roryk1
06-01-2005, 05:12 PM
SnG's can be much more profitable but also are very dangerous. you will find your self in many more situations where luck, not skill is the key factor. but if you can play them right go for it

fireman664
06-01-2005, 05:42 PM
I switched from $200NL at party (which was the biggest NL game party had then) and now play 6 tables of $2-$4.

My main reason however is that I ran bad...real bad...and then loss confidence and stopped playing. When I came back to the game I decided to try LHE instead...mainly so I could multi table (I didnt multi NL)

probably no help...
but I tried

StLouisMike
06-05-2005, 02:25 PM
What limits are you playing? The higher you go up in NL games the lesser amount of bad players you will run into. I have heard a number of online pros site this reason as to why they play FL games instead of NL. Although Im sure that you can find bad players in most any game in the world.

Mike

TexArcher
06-05-2005, 02:45 PM
NL SnG's can be extremely profitable, I probably make more there than on anything else.

turnipmonster
06-05-2005, 02:46 PM
focus on playing better and improving your game, and also devising strategies that are profitable against different styles and exploit your opponent's tendencies. keep in mind that your opponents can make mistakes all different ways, including folding when they should call. people that play too tight are very very exploitable, since typically they don't like to put a lot of money in the pot with less than two pair, and two pair or better is hard to make. also focus on taking players out of their comfort zones. cero_z has some great posts about this aspect of NL. remember that in many smaller (i.e. < 5/10) online games feature players that are used to underbetting and minraising, and laying 2:1 with your bets and raises will throw many off their game once they realize you are going to force them to put a lot of money in the middle when you are the aggressor. the idea is to play a style that your opponents will have difficulty adjustint correctly to, and in the process of adjustment will make mistakes against you.

--turnipmonster

Lawrence Ng
06-05-2005, 10:42 PM
I've been on a break even run myself multi-tabling the 6 max NL games, so I may try to jump back into limit or play some PL Omaha for a while to change things up.

Lawrence

Jdanz
06-05-2005, 10:52 PM
great post

grouchie
06-06-2005, 01:11 AM
I'm still playing and donating my money, usually on a daily basis.

Better table selection sir, and add me to your buddy list /images/graemlins/smile.gif

wall_st
06-06-2005, 02:45 AM
Im not sure what limits you play, however if you have not already, go learn 6 max NL. Creating a buddy list and keeping good notes can also be your friend in 6 max games.

soah
06-06-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I first started playing for a living last November and was killing the NL cash games, despite the fact that my game had several leaks. Now my game is much more solid and I have very few leaks

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be expected for your results to get worse for a while as you try to make changes to your game. You must remember that changing one aspect of your game will also affect all the other areas. Plugging one leak will frequently spring another. For example, if you're raising 30% of hands preflop and playing them super-aggro postflop, then you can probably end up all-in postflop with overpairs and TPTK and expect to be ahead most of the time. If you plug your "leak" by cutting down your preflop raise to 5-10% and not trying to bluff your way through every hand postflop, then you may find yourself vastly overplaying hands like TPTK, because you haven't adjusted for the fact that people are looking you up with a different range of hands than they used to.

morello
06-06-2005, 06:28 AM
I still have some bankroll, and still play no-limit occasionally..so the dead money hasn't vanished quite yet. ;p I'll let you know when I bust though!