PDA

View Full Version : overpair vs a flop min raise

MINETZ
06-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Hello All,
I apologize for not converting it as my computer froze when i was in the process of converting.
The game is 400 NL on PP.
Just sat down at the table the hand in question is prolly the 10th hand played, on the 5th hand i nearly doubled up by flopping a set vs an overpair and am ~750. I have not seen the villan do anything as of yet, hes at ~400.

Im UTG+1 with QQ and make it 16 folds to the button who calls blinds fold. Flop 792 i lead for 30 and get min raised, whats the plan here? I think the best option is to make it 150 to go and fold to a re raise.
comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Noah

By the way this is not the line i took on the flop, I just called.

xorbie
06-01-2005, 04:12 PM
I like a call and then check/raise the turn against aggro opponent. If he's tight enough that this is usually a set, try to keep the pot small.

emil3000
06-01-2005, 04:17 PM
What were the suits? That's important here. If it's twotone my default line against a random opponent is to call and lead the turn. if he raises again I fold, and let him outplay me.

MINETZ
06-01-2005, 04:19 PM
I thought he might have a set, but coudlnt be sure because of the lack of reads because I just sat down. I call the flop and he pots the turn, whats your action now with no reads?
Noah

MINETZ
06-01-2005, 04:26 PM
sorry, it was a rainbow board
Noah

amoeba
06-01-2005, 04:31 PM
I call and lead the turn for 100. I prefer this to the flop reraise as I give myself a small chance to turn the Q.

iceman5
06-01-2005, 04:35 PM
In the games I play, thats almost always a set. It seems weak as hell, but I think a fold is +EV unless the guy is an overaggressive LAG type.

Call me a wuss, but Ive seen this a million times.

MINETZ
06-01-2005, 04:42 PM
you ALWAYS fold to a min raise on the flop like that with an overpair? you dont think its often enough people on a random steal or trying to find out where they are at thats its +EV enough to do something other than just fold?
Noah

iceman5
06-01-2005, 05:17 PM
No, I dont always fold, but when I dont, I almost always wish I didwhen the hand is over. Keep a little scratch sheet beside your computer and keep track of your results on every hand like this that you get min raised.

Play however you think is correct, but then calculate the result as compared to just folding to the min raise and you'll see what I mean.

If you fold to the min raise, you take credit for zero. Since up to that point your play was correct. If you call and lose $100 more later in the hand..or raise and fold to a reraise and lose $100 extra...or play the hand all the way out and win a big pot....mark each of these results on your sheet and after 100 or so of these hands you can see where you are.

Ive already done it and believe me, as weak as it sounds..Folding there is +EV. He will have a set, AA or KK way too many times for it be profitable to continue.

As a matter of fact, I take notes of EVERY hand that I see a min raise post flop. I want to know which players will min raise w/o a monster. Its almost always a set, 2 pair, flopped str8 or some other monster.

Just my .02

amoeba
06-01-2005, 06:22 PM
How do they play their Top pair on the flop when they suspect you of continuation betting with your missed overs?

I find the minraise pretty often when I have say Ak, flop comes 3 T J, I bet 2/3 to 3/4 pot, they minraise me with QJ or KJ.

I've also seen it done on flush draws when suspecting the other on missed overs. If they are on overcards, they fold if they are tight, call if they are not, if htey are on overpair, many times they check the turn fearing set and gives a free card.

iceman5
06-01-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do they play their Top pair on the flop when they suspect you of continuation betting with your missed overs?

I find the minraise pretty often when I have say Ak, flop comes 3 T J, I bet 2/3 to 3/4 pot, they minraise me with QJ or KJ.

I've also seen it done on flush draws when suspecting the other on missed overs. If they are on overcards, they fold if they are tight, call if they are not, if htey are on overpair, many times they check the turn fearing set and gives a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you know they have KJ or QJ? Do you call a min raise with an unimproved AK?

amoeba
06-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Well, that was just example but lets say I have AA or KK. I shouldn't have said I have AK as I would of course fold to the minraise.