PDA

View Full Version : best poker books?

roryk1
06-01-2005, 03:47 PM
i have been playing poker very aggresivley for about a month now, mostly play money and a few micro tables. i was wodnering what are the best books i should read while on vacation. i would consider myself a beginner-intermediate player. any help is greatly appreciated

rmarotti
06-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Anything by Ed Miller, Theory of Poker by Malmuth and Sklansky, and Winning Low Limit Hold 'Em by Lee Jones, but in the opposite order that I just listed them /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

roryk1
06-01-2005, 03:54 PM
i heard lee jones book wasnt very good or helpful

reddred
06-01-2005, 03:56 PM
for starters, I'd read (then re-read) "Small Stakes Hold em" by Sklansky, Malmuth, et al.....of course, it's a 2+2 publishing book, but it will get you on the right track.
For what it's worth, play $ poker is practically useless in helping to understand real $ games.

jacket34
06-01-2005, 04:03 PM
I am new to this site, and somewhat new to poker, but I have read the lee jones book, and it was a solid foundation. I am now on ed miller and slansky's book (ssh). I have heard great things about it.

rmarotti
06-01-2005, 05:29 PM
It's a good first step.

SackUp
06-01-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a good first step, if you want to learn to be weak-tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Get SSH or Internet Hold em to start. Really you can get by with SSH and reading the forum and be a rather sucessful player.

Also next time you should go to the books section and do a search as this question is posed regularly there.

rmarotti
06-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Blind jones-bashing is retarded. He's not going to make you an insanely profitable player, but he covers the basics more extensively than Miller.

signal
06-01-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Blind jones-bashing is retarded. He's not going to make you an insanely profitable player, but he covers the basics more extensively than Miller.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sentiments exactly. it's a good first book insofar as it can rapidly acclimate one to the game.

Miller's book just exposes valuable concepts that the churlish player cannot be bothered with. (+EV for us).

MannyCalavera
06-01-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The hot fish is right.

ChuckyB
06-01-2005, 11:52 PM
"Theory of Poker" -- not about any one game, but the range of concepts will blow your mind.
"Killer Poker" -- philosophies as opposed to what hands to play.

I liked "Championship Hold'em" by McEvoy & Cloutier. It was the second book I read (after Hellmuth's "Play Poker Like a Pro"). It gave me the first inklings of how to play what and what to look out for.

ChuckyB
06-01-2005, 11:55 PM
Don't forget the web too.

cardplayer.com -- pretty much the whole magazine online.
pokertips.org -- some good articles and a hand simulator
poker1.com -- mike caro article/essay library. Really good stuff

jstewsmole
06-02-2005, 12:36 AM
read both. Lee jones' book i think is the better first read then play alot and read SSH.

busguy
06-02-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i heard lee jones book wasnt very good or helpful

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoever told you that is an idiot. If you have been playing on the "play money" tables for any length of time you very likely have developed a tonne of bad habits. Going back to the basics would probably be a good thing. Lee Jones' book is by far the best book for the beginner that I have read . . . and don't kid yourself . . . if your only experience with on-line poker is "play money", you are most definitely a beginner.

my 2 cents

busguy

willthethrill
06-05-2005, 12:06 PM
a book that every good poker player has read is super system by doyle brunson. It is the basis of all poker knowledge.

TexArcher
06-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Start learning starting hands and position. You're probably playing way too many hands and playing marginal hands out of position, and that will cost you a lot. Basically, learn to tighten up.

Then learn the math, the odds of hitting a flush or straight draw, the odds of flopping a set with a pocket pair, etc, etc. Caro's website (poker1.com) covers this and those same stat tables can be found in Super System.

Then learn pot odds, implied odds, reverse implied odds, etc. Again, Super System covers these, as do a host of others.

Then read Theory of Poker and Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players, these books along with Super System have been read by any of your solid opponents out there, you need to have read them too.

And for God's sake, get off the play money tables!