PDA

View Full Version : New to no-limit, playing small home game in a couple of days

gasoltub
06-01-2005, 03:31 PM
I'm normally a limit holdem player, but on friday I will play in a small no-limit home game with a few friends and some others. I usually play 2/4 limit, and the stakes on friday will be $0.15/0.3 with a ~$7 buyin.

My previous experience with no-limit has been entirely from freeroll tournaments so I'm quite the noob.

What's the best way to get as good grasp as possible of no-limit in two days?

I have these books but haven't read them yet since I've been focusing on limit until now:
Super System - Brunson
Tournament Poker for Advanced players - Sklansky
Harrington on Holdem - Harrington
Pot-limit and No-limit poker - Ciaffone
Getting Started in Holdem - Miller (I have read this one)

I would be delighted if anyone could point me to the best starting chapters in those books, and perhaps point me to other sources of info as well.

thanks!

TheWorstPlayer
06-01-2005, 03:42 PM
Skim PL/NL Holdem and just play a lot of SSNL for two days.

gasoltub
06-01-2005, 03:48 PM
The problem is that I can't set aside more than 4-6 hours for poker until friday, so I need to maximize the use of those hours /images/graemlins/wink.gif
Does that change your recommendation?

TheWorstPlayer
06-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Yeah. Just play poker for 4-6 hrs. Skim the book on the way over there or at the table or something.

jhall23
06-01-2005, 04:09 PM
I agree. The sections are pretty small in that book as well, so if you just skim the NL holdem section it should be good. Play 90% read 10%. Probably hit the .5/.10 tables on one of the sites that have them (stars, ub for sure).

All in all, I wouldn't worry too much. Your buying in for what, 2BB's of your normal game!!

gasoltub
06-01-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All in all, I wouldn't worry too much. Your buying in for what, 2BB's of your normal game!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, the stakes are nothing to worry about /images/graemlins/smile.gif I just don't want to start as too much of an underdog anyway. Actually I'm not sure I would be an underdog anyway, since most of them don't play poker regularly at all /images/graemlins/grin.gif
But there is at least one guy who plays no-limit online and a couple of the others play home games now and then.

transient
06-01-2005, 04:20 PM
I have the Harrington book. I would read these brief sections about bet sizes, and spend the rest of the time just getting a feel for the game:

Continuation Bets - 277-279
Probe Bets - 282
Playing Against Drawing Hands - 346

Here is a handy pot odds chart http://texasholdem.omnihosts.net/handodds.html