PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial converter moratorium

adanthar
06-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Folks,

The converter isn't working properly for SNG's and hasn't for a long, long time now. Every time somebody posts a hand it takes me 3 reads to get what actually happened.

From this point on, if you don't either post the hand unedited, fix the converter results if they are broken, or write the hand out (I do this in my posts) I'm simply not going to reply to your post. I hope the better players on the forum join me in this, because lately, it's gotten to the point where it's affecting my answers (I think a hand is easy and it turns out that something really wacky happened that I missed).

At the very least, please mark all ins in blue or red text or something and check that the converter is displaying the right pot sizes.

Thanks.

durron597
06-01-2005, 02:00 PM
/sign

Bigwig
06-01-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Folks,

The converter isn't working properly for SNG's and hasn't for a long, long time now. Every time somebody posts a hand it takes me 3 reads to get what actually happened.

From this point on, if you don't either post the hand unedited, fix the converter results if they are broken, or write the hand out (I do this in my posts) I'm simply not going to reply to your post. I hope the better players on the forum join me in this, because lately, it's gotten to the point where it's affecting my answers (I think a hand is easy and it turns out that something really wacky happened that I missed).

At the very least, please mark all ins in blue or red text or something and check that the converter is displaying the right pot sizes.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason, it works 100% of the time for me. I dunno what the deal is.

The Yugoslavian
06-01-2005, 02:09 PM
It works for me pretty well when I use it...although I don't post many hands. I do agree that seemingly 75% of the time it spits out utter crap messing up chip counts and actions from players in any position. I too am constantly posting one thing and then editing it 2 minutes later b/c it was 3 way and not HU postflop or villian raised instead of checked...retarded stuff like that.

All this being said, I highly recommend you check out the $215 hand (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2520319&page=1&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1) I played and give your comments. It will make you enjoy reading the converter again...

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yugoslav

wuwei
06-01-2005, 02:44 PM
I haven't examined this exhaustively, but it seems that the converter works fine for pokerstars hands. It works fine for Party hands that do NOT involve someone going all in. If you push at Party, it fails.

I would hope that people will figure out quickly after one screwed up post that the converter doesn't work right all the time, and that they will edit things next time. It's pretty easy to convert and then fix the action as needed. Also, it's pretty easy to delete all the action after you push - often that's irreleveant to the question you're asking anyways.

If they don't, I'm onboard for not responding.

dfscott
06-01-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Folks,

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Works for me.

As far as I'm concerned, if someone isn't willing to take the time to proof their post to make sure it makes sense, I'm not willing to take the time to read, analyze and respond to it.

J-Lo
06-01-2005, 02:49 PM
agreed, i'm gona start posting my hands unedited, like raptor suggested in another thread. Unedited isn't that hard to read, get used to it.

microbet
06-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Yeah, do people mind unedited transcripts? I don't.

(aside from whether you want them anonymized or not)

Phoenix1010
06-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Yes, it's getting annoying. I try to look over mine a few times before I submit. The sad thing is that if the converter screwed it up too much I just give up and don't post it. Btw, I've found that converting hands pasted from Poker Tracker works just fine every time (every time I've tried it), while copy pasting hands from the Party "last hand" box has a high frequency of screwing things up, especially turn bets and all-ins.

-Phoenix

Karak567
06-01-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm getting annoyed with people flaming others about just copying and pasting Party hands.

Come on now, it's not THAT hard to read.

I vote for plain hand histories.

citanul
06-01-2005, 04:09 PM
plain hand histories, or gasp, taking a minute to just condense it into text that is vaguely like the converter, is quite fine. it really shouldn't take more than one or two minutes to do something like

stacks:

reads/anything else of note:

preflop:

flop:

turn:

river:

all else failing, yes, people did post things prior to their being a hand converter. they had ways.

i don't think i've ever flamed anyone for not converting. i think i generally just say "here's a link to the converter." but if you are going to post a plain text, and you don't remove the "it is your turn to act at table whatever" i reserve the right to eat your first born child, and punt your cat.

to wit, use the converter if you want, but if you do, please god proofread. hell, even if you don't use the converter, proofread.

citanul

gumpzilla
06-01-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Btw, I've found that converting hands pasted from Poker Tracker works just fine every time (every time I've tried it), while copy pasting hands from the Party "last hand" box has a high frequency of screwing things up, especially turn bets and all-ins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't this suggest what the problem possibly is? I haven't had any problems with the converter, to my knowledge.

Also, yes, you can read unconverted hand histories, and it's not that much worse. HOWEVER, YOU CAN ALSO READ THIS, AND IT DOESN'T REALLY IMPACT THE READABILITY THAT MUCH. WHY NOT START TYPING IN ALL CAPS AS WELL?

I think the converter looks much nicer and is much more pleasant to read, and converting and editing still takes less time than typing in the entire hand, though more than cutting and pasting raw HH. If you're going to anonymize the HH, converting and editing will still be faster, most likely.

nokona13
06-01-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Folks,

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason, it works 100% of the time for me. I dunno what the deal is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think it missed an all in just once for me, and all I had to do was write it in. It never does all kinds of wacky stuff for me...

Meatmaw
06-01-2005, 04:14 PM
It seems to work perfectly for me when I post hands from emailed Party HHs and work very terribly for me when I try to paste in archived hand histories. I don't know if this is part of the problem. If it's veteran posters getting errors in their conversions from emailed Party HHs, then I guess the problem is elsewhere, but so far it's been flawless once I moved to copying from these.

I was going nuts trying to read the archived HH's with their out of order seating listings for a while.

Scuba Chuck
06-01-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Folks

[/ QUOTE ]

Wut chu talkin' 'bout Willis?

Sabrazack
06-16-2005, 01:43 PM
BUMP BUMP BUMP