PDA

View Full Version : Did i play this wrong?

KyleH186
06-01-2005, 01:20 PM
***** Hand History for Game 2138928881 *****
$1000 PL Omaha Hi/Lo - Wednesday, June 01, 13:14:50 EDT 2005
Table Table 49599 (Real Money)
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 2: KyleH681186 ( $4339.5 )
Seat 3: ORPHE ( $68.78 )
Seat 4: PILCHARD2 ( $1841.75 )
Seat 5: Frostfield ( $280.34 )
Seat 6: xbvnktx ( $1039.95 )
Seat 7: Ron_Ca21 ( $1013.03 )
Seat 8: large37 ( $1012.38 )
Seat 10: nikii ( $221.5 )
Seat 9: LucNoSuchThg ( $380 )
xbvnktx posts small blind [$5].
Ron_Ca21 posts big blind [$10].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to KyleH681186 [ Kc Kh Qs 7d ]
large37 calls [$10].
LucNoSuchThg folds.
nikii calls [$10].
KyleH681186 raises [$50].
ORPHE folds.
PILCHARD2 calls [$50].
Frostfield folds.
xbvnktx folds.
Ron_Ca21 calls [$40].
large37 folds.
nikii folds.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Qd, Ts, Jh ]
Ron_Ca21 checks.
KyleH681186 checks.
PILCHARD2 bets [$172].
Ron_Ca21 folds.
KyleH681186 calls [$172].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 2c ]
KyleH681186 checks.
PILCHARD2 bets [$516].
KyleH681186 folds.
PILCHARD2 does not show cards.
PILCHARD2 wins $1032

My feeling was he flopped it with AK, had 2 pair, or a set.

JoshuaMayes
06-01-2005, 02:18 PM
I don't like your play at all. Preflop, your hand is trash. Unless you flop a set, you will rarely be continuing after the flop, so I would not be looking to raise in MP with this garbage hand. I routinely fold hands like this one preflop. I might limp with it in MP or LP if the table was especially passive preflop and loose postflop.

On the flop, you have basically nothing on a highly coordinated board. I would check-fold. If you are absolutely determined to continue on with this hand, betting the pot in hopes of taking it down seems the best course to me. I cannot see any reason to check-call, which is probably the worst option of the ones available to you. Are you hoping a 9 comes on the turn to give you an excuse to lose more money?

Wintermute
06-01-2005, 02:22 PM
i pretty much don't like the play on any street... why would you raise that hand in the first place, preflop? Unless you're trying to project a crazy aggro image (not a good idea at a full game IMO), it seems wiser to me to just limp with a weak KK hand like that and go for the 1:8 shot at a set. On the flop, you checked so I'm assuming you're not going to the aggro image, and actually valued the KKQ7 rainbow for the preflop raise... anyway, on the flop, if you're not betting out to project the aggro image and to try for the steal, you're dead to an Ace, and even then you will frequently chop. At this point, I'm guessing you have 3 outs to half the pot. I would *definitely* fold that hand on the flop, for that price. (Or raise, if you want to go for the super-crazy aggro-steal. But calling is definitely wrong.)

KyleH186
06-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Sorry i should have posted more info about the table.

It was super loose passive, and raising preflop and taking down small pots was how i had been making my money up to that point.

gergery
06-01-2005, 03:13 PM
I’m not trying to be a dick or anything, but if you’re posting this hand, you shouldn’t be playing in the $1000 game. I say that out of concern for a fellow 2+2ers bankroll.

--Greg

Wintermute
06-01-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry i should have posted more info about the table.

It was super loose passive, and raising preflop and taking down small pots was how i had been making my money up to that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, in that case the PF raise isn't the horrible. I've raised with similar garbage when conditions were right. Hard to believe this strategy could win you 3 buyins alone, there must've been few a big showdowns in there....
Anyway, the line you took on the flop is a disaster. Calling that bet is easily the worst of the three options you had.

bodie
06-01-2005, 05:45 PM
It sounds like you were playing this more as a HoldEm hand than O8. I saw your point about winning previous pots by raising preflop - but I agree, once you saw that flop I would fold to any bet or raise.
You have to ask yourself, at that point, what were you hoping for?

Tailgunner
06-03-2005, 01:37 PM
I was wondering about that preflop raise myself... however, if you're going to play high-only, you need to hit the flop hard or get out of Dodge. In this case, you have to assume that anyone who hangs around (esp. given they're loose-passive) either already has, or has strong draws to, at least some kind of straight. You've got 4 outs to the nuts (three of which open flush draws) and 4 to *maybe* split with the K9... even if you improved, a paired board on the river would likely ruin even that small chance of victory.

You have to not only think "What am I trying to find?" but "If I find what I'm looking for, how will that help someone else?"

Check-fold the flop. If you're going to play it, the only advantage you have is a position bet... all your check does here is say "I missed the flop.", encouraging someone to make a move on you. A bet of that size indicates (if not a stone cold bluff) at least a K9 or two pair trying to push off the nut draw. Your call says "I don't have anything, but I have some outs and have the stack to gamble on a draw." Show strength by betting it down to the river and fold to any re-raise. Even a check-raise is better than doing nothing here.

Good job laying down on the turn at least.