PDA

View Full Version : putting people on tilt

ravin
06-01-2005, 12:36 PM
I have a friend who is extremely good at putting people on tilt. He's kind-of an arrogant [censored] normally, but plays this to the hilt at the poker table - making obnoxious comments, taking some gambles to bad beat someone so he can rub it in their face, etc. He's also overtly gay and a member of an ethnic minority - so that seems to make people's reactions stronger. Almost without fail every time I've played with him he's gotten one or two people to start aiming at him, and happily taken their money. Also without fail, he's universally despised at the table by the end of the night. He could care less what people think (like I said, kind-of an arrogant jerk away from the table too) - he's having fun and making money. I will admit that at times its fun to watch him slowly work under someone's skin and then go in for the kill while they are fuming - especially if you know its playing on their prejudice or homophobia. I will also admit, that i've occasionally taken some big pots off these people off their game as well.

On the other hand, I really like the sociability of a friendly table. Sure I'm there to win money, but I'm also there to enjoy spending time with others while playing a game. I've been trying to get more serious about poker lately, but am I forever doomed to mediocrity if I want people at the table to "like me"? Maybe I just need to find a playing partner, when I'm out with him I don't mind so much if people hate us because we can banter amongst ourselves. But when I'm at a table alone, I definitely don't want to be the one person receiving icy stares and flippant remarks all night.....

vexvelour
06-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Obnoxious people at the table are not welcome to sit with me again, friends or not.

I'm going through a sort-of similar situation in our nightly home games. One of the regular players refuses to stack his chips, and takes up a huge amount of space at the table. This leads to a few players asking him to clean his chips up. He immediately get arrogant, defensive, and because he is a different race than I, begins to say that we are racists and on and on. I know I'm not racist so these comments dont bother me...I continue to play well.

I refuse to let people try and put me on tilt verbally... give it to him right back, wait for some good cards in the same pot as him, and teach him a lesson.

TStoneMBD
06-01-2005, 02:36 PM
hasnt this been done like a million times?

Bodhi
06-01-2005, 02:37 PM
If this is your concern, then you do not have the temperment of a winning player. Stick to the lowest limits you can tolerate. Focus on increasing your aggression and paying more attention to the action before you make small talk.

Everyone remember the "how to play against a homosexual" thread? Lesson number one: never underestimate him just because he's gay.

InkyWretch
06-01-2005, 03:09 PM
So are you saying to be a winning player you have to be an [censored] at the table?

I think it's entirely possible to play a very aggressive, top-notch game without hacking off the other players. It's all in the way you do it.

For example, if somebody rivers a miracle on you, do you shrug and say "That's poker" or do you throw a Helmuthian fit complete with wailing and gnashing of teeth?

noggindoc
06-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Sweet.....I'm dressing up as an arrogant homosexual ethnic minority next time I play live.

Bodhi
06-01-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So are you saying to be a winning player you have to be an [censored] at the table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not. Don't make yourself look dumb by interpreting me as a fool. What I'm reminding you of is the fact that a winning player doesn't give rat's ass about what others think of him, and might even play off your emotions to win more money. Acting like a jerk to put you on tilt is not my style, but fair game imho.

InkyWretch
06-01-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not. Don't make yourself look dumb by interpreting me as a fool. What I'm reminding you of is the fact that a winning player doesn't give rat's ass about what others think of him, and might even play off your emotions to win more money. Acting like a jerk to put you on tilt is not my style, but fair game imho.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't interpreting you as anything, much less a fool. I'm sorry if you thought I was doing that.

mosch
06-01-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

a winning player doesn't give rat's ass about what others think of him, and might even play off your emotions to win more money. Acting like a jerk to put you on tilt is not my style, but fair game imho.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correction: some winning players might not give a rat's ass what others think of them.

No different than car dealers, business execs, etc... Some of them act like jerks because they think they'll make a fractional increase in their profit. Mostly, they're just handing over their clients to the true professionals.

BarronVangorToth
06-01-2005, 06:27 PM
There are few things more -EV in a cardroom than acting like a jerk - while it might work for some to a minor extent, overall, you're best off as a poker player AND as a human being facilitating a friendly atmosphere.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

Bodhi
06-01-2005, 06:49 PM
I think you're correct that the winning player who is friendly, charming and encouraging to his customers is more +EV than the jerk.