PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Presidents SNG: Who wins?

samjjones
06-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Who would win a SNG of these U.S. Presidents? Assume all of them have been given a week to read 2+2's library beforehand.

bd8802
06-01-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who would win a SNG of these U.S. Presidents?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thomas Jefferson

ArchAngel71857
06-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Nixon is the only president I know of who was quite good at poker. I think in the Navy in WWII, he won a bunch of his shipmates money. He won it in underground cockfights, I think, but won it nonetheless.

-AA

TStoneMBD
06-01-2005, 12:16 PM
yah nixon was a good poker player. id have to go with him. george bush has also said he was a poker player, but hes dumb as nails.

tbach24
06-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I believe one of Nixon's initial campaigns was funded by his poker earnings.

samjjones
06-01-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I believe one of Nixon's initial campaigns was funded by his poker earnings.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he's a horrible bluffer...

pokerjo22
06-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Bush would win.

He'd be wired, while Cheney would have Sklansky in a cell in Guatanamo extracting the correct play hand by hand.

Los Feliz Slim
06-01-2005, 12:21 PM
If I didn't already know about Nixon's poker prowess, I would have voted Clinton. Smart and sneaky.

samjjones
06-01-2005, 12:23 PM
I voted for JFK. He was a pretty intelligent guy, and would be able to understand TOP. Also, he could carry out a successful bluff (see Cuban Missile Crisis). And he had the necessary amount of "gamble" in him (sleeping with Sam Giacomo's gf; Marilyn Monroe) to allow him to win it. Abraham Lincoln is the rock in this game, btw.

sfer
06-01-2005, 12:25 PM
I've always been under the assumption that Truman and Nixon were both excellent players. Nixon financed his first campaign with his winnings while in the Navy. Make sure to check the turn with outs against Tricky Dick.

samjjones
06-01-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've always been under the assumption that Truman and Nixon were both excellent players. Nixon financed his first campaign with his winnings while in the Navy. Make sure to check the turn with outs against Tricky Dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

And Truman knows how to play the nuts (Hiroshima).

MrWookie47
06-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Ah, you're right. I should have voted Nixon. I voted for Clinton on the basis of his status as a Rhodes scholar and a man with an incredible ability to bluff, but Nixon is the clear choice.

sfer
06-01-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read somewhere that while he was contemplating using the bomb that he was on a boat coming back from Yalta or wherever and to keep his mind occupied he ran a pot-limit game with the press corps.

pmuir10
06-01-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I read somewhere that while he was contemplating using the bomb that he was on a boat coming back from Yalta or wherever and to keep his mind occupied he ran a pot-limit game with the press corps.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup

youtalkfunny
06-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Harry could bring it, but Dick has to be the favorite here.

asofel
06-01-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this would also lend support to Clinton.

samjjones
06-01-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this would also lend support to Clinton.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, thats why I included Buchanan in the poll, as its been speculated that he was gay.

theghost
06-01-2005, 12:56 PM
Truman.

NiceCatch
06-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Without reading any of the posts, I voted for Nixon, with Clinton a close second. The word "wily" has a picture of Clinton next to it in the dictionary, and what president reminds you more of Amarillo Slim than Nixon? Crooked to the bone. And the first knockout: Bush, when he goes all in with a pair of deuces against Clinton's flopped set.

Duke
06-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Woodrow Wilson.

~D

Bulldog
06-01-2005, 01:24 PM
George Washington won a WAR, people!

Loci
06-01-2005, 03:26 PM
While I was well aware that nixon paid for his early campaign runs with poker winnings, I thought I'd take a stab at Buchy. Someone beat me to it though...

Los Feliz Slim
06-01-2005, 03:51 PM
No love for Honest Abe.

TimTimSalabim
06-01-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So why didn't you vote for him?

Wes ManTooth
06-01-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Woodrow Wilson.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

poker-penguin
06-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Sharks - Nixon, Truman (existing skill).

Decent - Clinton, Lincoln, Kennedy, Jefferson (mainly because they are all smart men who valued learning)

Fish - Washington (total calling station), Buchannon (too decepetive), Reagan (have you seen celebrity poker)

Uber Fish - GW Bush (dumber than a box of hammers, way too aggressive)

dutchbrodymoss
06-01-2005, 06:29 PM
jfk. nuff said.

BadBoyBenny
06-01-2005, 07:57 PM
This poll would be better if you dropped Washington and Reagan and added Eishenhower and Grant

youtalkfunny
06-02-2005, 06:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, by retreating faster than his enemy could attack.

That's weak-tight.

ericd
06-02-2005, 07:06 AM
Eishenhower was supposedly an accomplished player.

If I recall my history correctly he successfully bluffed the USSR during the 50's into believing the US had a much stronger military than it did, thus saving billions of dollars in defense spending along the way.

Anders_G
06-02-2005, 09:19 AM
Is Bush Sr. or Jr.? Not that it makes that much of a difference.

I voted Abe. He should have the experience to kick people in Chris-Ferguson-Style outfits

poker-penguin
06-02-2005, 10:45 AM
I think he said GW, not GHW, which means Bush II not Bush I.

Seriously, if a Bush family member runs in 2008, you may as well just make it an official monarchy, or remove that pesky two-term amendment.

ClaytonN
06-02-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nixon is the only president I know of who was quite good at poker. I think in the Navy in WWII, he won a bunch of his shipmates money.

[/ QUOTE ]

The above is correct. It's covered more extensively in "Positively Fifth Street", but Nixon funded his original congressional campaign with all the money he won at sea playing 5 card draw.

Oski
06-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Which president would win in an ultimate fighting tourney?

- I nominate Lincoln.

Yes, he was tall and lanky, but he was renoun for his strength (wood chopping and manual labor) and he did put in some time with the fisticuffs (won a brawl in Missouri against 3 punks).

youtalkfunny
06-02-2005, 12:49 PM
I'll take Teddy. Youth, and hand-to-hand training. None of the other old geezers would stand a chance.

Oski
06-02-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll take Teddy. Youth, and hand-to-hand training. None of the other old geezers would stand a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah: I should have been more clear. Each president would enter the match in his prime.

Lincoln would mop the floor with Teddy. Teddy would be walking funny with a stovepipe hat shoved up his ass.

Talk2BigSteve
06-02-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now how the hell are you going to know that Nixon's help his campaign with poker earnings, but did not know anything about Deep Throat???

Living, Learning, and Laughing.

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Oski
06-02-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now how the hell are you going to know that Nixon's help his campaign with poker earnings, but did not know anything about Deep Throat???

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, Steve: You are mixing up "Deep Stack" with "Deep Throat."

Talk2BigSteve
06-02-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, tbach24 said that he did not know anything about watergate and deep throat, but he knows this about Nixon??? I mean if anyone knows anything about Nixon it has to include Watergate and Deep Throat. That is what I was referring to.

Oski
06-02-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, tbach24 said that he did not know anything about watergate and deep throat, but he knows this about Nixon??? I mean if anyone knows anything about Nixon it has to include Watergate and Deep Throat. That is what I was referring to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was just making a joke.

CardSharpCook
06-02-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sharks - Nixon, Truman (existing skill).

Decent - Clinton, Lincoln, Kennedy, Jefferson (mainly because they are all smart men who valued learning)

Fish - Washington (total calling station), Buchannon (too decepetive), Reagan (have you seen celebrity poker)

Uber Fish - GW Bush (dumber than a box of hammers, way too aggressive)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a real problem as seeing Lincoln as anything other than W/T. Can you really imagine Honest Abe check/raising? He'd consider it a sin. Also, just because Truman has existing skill, I don't think he belongs with the sharks. He's way too alpha-male to be any good at poker. Truman's the kind of guy who loves smoking a cigar and talking to his buddies while he plays. He's not taking my money.

Also, giving a little experience, I gotta think Jefferson is ready for the big leagues. THE MAN BOUGHT HALF OF AMERICA FOR 15 MILLION, PEOPLE!!! Talk about playing beyond your means - this guy made the world gave tiny baby America all the recognition of a superpower. A man who can create that kind of table image is going to have a huge leg up on the competition.

whiskeytown
06-02-2005, 02:19 PM
if we're actually serious, Nixon in a pinch - he financed his campaign with poker winnings -

if we're realistic, GWB - he'll keep changing the hand rankings till he wins or the Supreme Court rules he won the SNG - /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RB

NoRiverRats
06-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Phonetically, there is no debate, its Clinton - POK-HER

Talk2BigSteve
06-02-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was just making a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, My sense of humor was off earlier...I think it had something to do with my painful wake up call this morning...My English Bulldog, Winston Churchill, hopped into the bed at about 5:30 this morning and his paw connected with my nuts. From deep sleep to Wide awake pain in a fraction of a second /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Grinder
06-02-2005, 07:46 PM
I think Clinton wins because he Gits all the Suck Outs /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

poker-penguin
06-02-2005, 07:56 PM
Abe would be a rock - he was smart, he'd pick up enough from 2+2 to have starting hands and the necessity of aggression. If nothing else, he'd have the discipline to play the saabpo system.

You make an interesting case for a switch of Truman / Jefferson. You might be right.

wjmooner
06-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Abraham Lincoln crushed any and all opposition during the Civil War. He didn't always use legal means to get the job done either. Crushed the south by any means necessary. He'd do the same thing in poker.

I'm pretty sure Lincoln would've been a spectacular poker player.

Most people in this thread talk about people's poker abilities that they have heard about without considering the qualities that make a successful poker player. For my money almost all of these guys would've been great poker players, but I think I'd go with Lincoln as the best.

partygirluk
06-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Assuming this is a NL SnG people are under-estimating how much of a people game it is. Bush has exceptional people skills. He would be very good at sensing weakness/strength. Not as good at hiding his own tells though.

poker-penguin
06-03-2005, 12:57 AM
Bush would probably buy in for double chips, bust out half opponents on dubious floor decisons (like two pair beats a full house) and then find some way to run his chipstack into the ground.

Well, it's what happened to all the companies he ran, and quite possibly the country (there's a lot of analysis pointing to an economic meltdown soon).

But now we're getting really politial, and the overlords might not like that :P

chunk
06-03-2005, 01:55 AM
Clinton would beat Bush heads up. The rest are dead giving them a terrible disadvantage.

JoshuaD
06-03-2005, 02:04 AM
I went with Nixon because he's supposed to be incredibly intellegent.

private joker
06-03-2005, 03:11 AM
How does Teddy Roosevelt not make this final table? Obviously he would be the best given time to learn the game. He was a genius and excellent with manipulation and aggression.

Best non-president would be Alexander Hamilton, who was a math whiz with money and a brilliant negotiator.

The lack of history knowledge in this thread is depressing. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

blatz
06-03-2005, 04:55 AM
I've got Teddy Roosevelt as a natural, followed by Lincoln, sneaky devil, him.

The wild card is Grant, who would be a great limit player, unfortunately losing everything on the roulette table on the way out, every single night, because he believed in his cousins system.

Prevaricator
06-03-2005, 05:00 AM
Abe Lincoln! No one would believe he's bluffing.

Popinjay
06-03-2005, 05:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How does Teddy Roosevelt not make this final table? Obviously he would be the best given time to learn the game. He was a genius and excellent with manipulation and aggression.

Best non-president would be Alexander Hamilton, who was a math whiz with money and a brilliant negotiator.

The lack of history knowledge in this thread is depressing. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

...wouldn't the best non-president be someone like Stu Ungar or Doyle Brunson? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Oski
06-03-2005, 07:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take any one of a number of poker pros in the "non-president" category, you can have Hamilton.

private joker
06-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Clearly by non-president I meant founding father and/or historical political figure.