PDA

View Full Version : American Psycho

MEbenhoe
06-01-2005, 11:28 AM
I just saw this movie for the first time last night(yes I realize its 5 years old). To those of you who have seen it, is it just me or does the ending leave open a large amount of possible interpretations. I'm seriously confused and personally I'm thinking either I just missed something blatantly obvious or I'm reading way too much into too many things. So I guess I'm asking for those who have seen it, what do you think the actual meaning of the ending was? For those who havent seen it feel free to answer this totally unrelated question; Could Jesus Microwave a burrito so hot that he himself couldn't eat it?

IndieMatty
06-01-2005, 11:30 AM
1. Read the Book
2. No

MEbenhoe
06-01-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Read the Book

[/ QUOTE ]

but that would require effort and I am lazy.

p.s. you should really just tell me

keats
06-01-2005, 11:32 AM
From my understanding of the movie Patrick Bateman is insane but the scenes of him killing people are all in his head. So pretty much he imagined the whole thing.

Soul Daddy
06-01-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. Read the Book

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You should really read the book. I can't think of a piece that has lost more in the translation from book to movie than this.

samjjones
06-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Its implied that the events of the story were delusions in Bateman's head. I thought the film left a lot to be desired, but Bale absolutely nailed the role.

jakethebake
06-01-2005, 11:37 AM
We really needed a 100th thread about this movie.

MEbenhoe
06-01-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
From my understanding of the movie Patrick Bateman is insane but the scenes of him killing people are all in his head. So pretty much he imagined the whole thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I thought, but I thought there could also be a case made for a few other options.

1. He actually did commit the murders (maybe all, maybe some) and his "confessions" seem so ridiculous that none of his friends believe him and think its a joke.

2. Some type of split personality. There are several points in the movie where Patrick Bateman is referred to by another name other than his own (I'm not speaking of the times where he tells people his name is Marcus Halberstrom or Paul Allen, but simply a random person in passing calling him another name)

3. Almost no chance, but some type of cover up was performed.

MEbenhoe
06-01-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We really needed a 100th thread about this movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

IndieMatty
06-01-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Book may imply differently.

samjjones
06-01-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I thought, but I thought there could also be a case made for a few other options.

1. He actually did commit the murders (maybe all, maybe some) and his "confessions" seem so ridiculous that none of his friends believe him and think its a joke.

2. Some type of split personality. There are several points in the movie where Patrick Bateman is referred to by another name other than his own (I'm not speaking of the times where he tells people his name is Marcus Halberstrom or Paul Allen, but simply a random person in passing calling him another name)

[/ QUOTE ]

In my understanding, this was the point Bateman made when he tried to confess his crimes in the voicemail to his lawyer. But everybody thought Bateman was joking, since how could a well-respected, up and coming power broker like Bateman do the hideous things he was describing? Hence the satire.

In the film, they show Paul Allen at the end (even though he was killed earlier), so its evident that the killings were Bateman's delusions.

MEbenhoe
06-01-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop with your cryptic answers and attempts to make me work for something. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

IndieMatty
06-01-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. Read the Book

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You should really read the book. I can't think of a piece that has lost more in the translation from book to movie than this.

[/ QUOTE ]

word. Though I think the movie was fairly done. But I think it totally ruins the theme of the movie, as well as the actual events.

Shiiiit, I'm gonna read me some Ellis tonight.

MEbenhoe
06-01-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

In the film, they show Paul Allen at the end (even though he was killed earlier), so its evident that the killings were Bateman's delusions.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif Damn it I knew I missed something. I will have to rewatch the end now.

IndieMatty
06-01-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop with your cryptic answers and attempts to make me work for something. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The spruce moose flies over springfield.

jnalpak
06-01-2005, 11:44 AM
its unfortunate you saw the movie first or at all.
This book was around 300pages of the most intense/obsessive/screwed up material ever written by BRET EASTON ELLIS. The people who wrote the script decided to use maybe 74 pgs and ruined a possibly great movie script (see Less Than Zero).

It ends open like you said: Was he dreaming or was he really doing all this?

IMHO, he was just a screwed up yuppy who couldnt handle being a trust fund baby and heir to a financial throne that he could care less about. Overall he found peace with his "normal" secretary. the murders were all a dream but he was that screwed up...

Best part in the book thats not in the movie is regarding the blind man he kills with his dog. in the begining of the book he takes out his eyes and kills his dog after work on wall street. LATER on in the book after a few months he sees the same guy pretending to be a vietnam vet at central park and walks up to him. He wispers something typical to Pat Bateman and the guy pees in his pants...CLASSIC

IndieMatty
06-01-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In my understanding, this was the point Bateman made when he tried to confess his crimes in the voicemail to his lawyer. But everybody thought Bateman was joking, since how could a well-respected, up and coming power broker like Bateman do the hideous things he was describing? Hence the satire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or in an age when everyone was so cookie cutter, everyone was so vapid and self involved. PB didn't know paul allen from paul newman.

MEbenhoe
06-01-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The spruce moose flies over springfield.

[/ QUOTE ]

Purple Monkey Dishwasher

samjjones
06-01-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Best part in the book thats not in the movie is regarding the blind man he kills with his dog. in the begining of the book he takes out his eyes and kills his dog after work on wall street. LATER on in the book after a few months he sees the same guy pretending to be a vietnam vet at central park and walks up to him. He wispers something typical to Pat Bateman and the guy pees in his pants...CLASSIC

[/ QUOTE ]

No joke. The homeless guy with the dog chapter is seriously f-ed up. And then the next chapter segues into the artistic merits of Genesis' "Invisible Touch" album.

FYI, I just read that Bateman is the protaganist of Ellis' new novel. Bateman 20 years later?

IndieMatty
06-01-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No joke. The homeless guy with the dog chapter is seriously f-ed up. And then the next chapter segues into the artistic merits of Genesis' "Invisible Touch" album.

FYI, I just read that Bateman is the protaganist of Ellis' new novel. Bateman 20 years later?

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? It's been way too long since he had a new book. I'm still trying to get a grip on Glamorama.

Did you know his Aim is like BrettEastonEllis and he doesn't change it?

jnalpak
06-01-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Or in an age when everyone was so cookie cutter, everyone was so vapid and self involved. PB didn't know paul allen from paul newman.

[/ QUOTE ]

you hit it on the nose. The reason everyone called PB a different name was b/c in his circle (which was huge) no one knew anyones names b/c everyone thought their sh@t was better then the next so "why should i care to learn or know who you are"

jnalpak
06-01-2005, 11:56 AM
>>Did you know his Aim is like BrettEastonEllis and he doesn't change it?

What do you mean?

>>And then the next chapter segues into the artistic merits of Genesis' "Invisible Touch" album.

I loved the Invisble Touch breakdown...what else did he breakdown? Huey Lewis? Whitney Houston? am i mssing one?

>>FYI, I just read that Bateman is the protaganist of Ellis' new novel. Bateman 20 years later?

This should be GREAT

EDIT: DIDNT LIKE GLAMORAMA, MEH! one bad apple does not ruin the rest

IndieMatty
06-01-2005, 11:58 AM
his aol screenname is his name. Give him an IM sometime.

Ulysses
06-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Great book, one of my favorites. I really liked the movie too.

samjjones
06-01-2005, 12:05 PM
As an aside, I've never met a person who liked Ellis and who didn't also like Chuck Palahniuk.

jnalpak
06-01-2005, 12:19 PM
with chuck being thrown in here i wanted to take the time to address 2 great books BESIDES FIGHT CLUB:

1) Survivor
2) Choke

-Skeme-
06-01-2005, 08:51 PM
I thought it sucked.

AEKDBet
06-01-2005, 09:07 PM
It wasn't until the movie that people actually thought Bateman DIDN'T kill people.

If you like the darkness in the movie, you will like the book.

Anyone remember a hungry rat and some tubing?

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT