PDA

View Full Version : Lou Reed

swede123
06-01-2005, 10:20 AM
So I was listening to "Take a Walk on the Wild Side" earlier today and it's really a kick-ass song. Any artist who writes lines like "she never ever lost her head, even when she was giving head..." can't be bad, right?

Yet I can't recall ever hearing another one of his songs. Is the rest of his music similar to this song or is it wildly different? Is it worth checking out some more?

Thanks,

Swede

Los Feliz Slim
06-01-2005, 10:24 AM
I could be mistaken and should be checking Google first, but I think that "Take a Walk on the Wild Side" is a Velvet Underground song, and VU was awesome. Lou Reed's solo stuff is much more mixed, IMHO, and he can get pretty political sometimes, which is annoying.

brettbrettr
06-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Yup. Start with the album "Loaded." I also have the Velvet boxset which is really, really good. The song Foggy Notion is stellar.

2planka
06-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Standing on the corner,
Suitcase in my hand
Jack is in his corset, and jane is her vest,
And me I’m in a rock’n’roll band hah!
Ridin’ in a stutz bear cat, jim
You know, those were different times!
Oh, all the poets they studied rules of verse
And those ladies, they rolled their eyes

samjjones
06-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Lou Reed is definitely a pimp. Great Lou Reed quote about rock and roll: "If it has more than three chords, its jazz."

heavybody
06-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Check out Reed's "The Dirty Boulevard". cool song

bwana devil
06-01-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So I was listening to "Take a Walk on the Wild Side" earlier today and it's really a kick-ass song. Any artist who writes lines like "she never ever lost her head, even when she was giving head..." can't be bad, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

that is a great song. you know the she giving head is a transsexual right?

Cyrus
06-01-2005, 12:17 PM
"Take A Walk On The Wild Side" was not a Velvet Underground track. The song appeared first on Lou Reed's solo album Transformer (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006LLOG/qid=1117642497/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-1311975-5024045).

You wanna know about the Velvets? Where does one begin.

Lou Reed, Sterling Morrison, John Cale and Maureen Tucker (and Nico). They put out only a handful of albums and about a thousand people bought each one. But each one of them went on and formed a band, as someone said. They were that influential.

Louis Reed is a hell of a songwriter, a brilliant guitarist and a great performer. Also, oftentimes a bonafide asshole.

Check out all four of them: The Velvet Underground & Nico , White Light/White Heat , Velvet Underground, and Loaded. After that, Reed left, and they were the Velvets in name only. Reed sued the record company to establish his writing credits and get back the royalties for his songwriting in the VU, and went on to record solo albums.

My favorite? The magnus opus Songs For Drella, written in a one-off re-union/collaboration between Reed and his old antagonist in the Velvets, John Cale. A worthy epitaph to Andy Warhol, with whom, too, he had a falling out. Listen to his guitar in "Forever Changed", for example, and come back when you get rid of the goosebumps.

Now married to Laurie Anderson, performer, songwriter, female.