PDA

View Full Version : When To Push w/Any 2?

EasilyFound
06-01-2005, 08:07 AM
I know there is no cookie cutter answer to a poker question, but I don't have a clue when it is appropriate to push w/any 2. What factors do you consider when deciding to use this play? How much does it depend on your stack size? The stack size of the other player? How much the other play does not defend the blinds?

Thanks to reading this board, I push more than I used to when the game gets short-handed, and that has helped my play very much. But I'm sure that I'm missing good opptys to push w/any 2. I just feel like I can't identify them.

Any help would be appreciated.

NYCNative
06-01-2005, 08:20 AM
I know the easy answers: Push any two when you're so short stacked you have no other options or you're pushing into someone who is so short-stacked they have no other options if you have stack to spare.

I'll let the EV experts deal with the vast expanses in the middle... But I'll bet that a lot of that depends on reads...

EasilyFound
06-01-2005, 08:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
pushing into someone who is so short-stacked they have no other options if you have stack to spare.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean push w/any 2 when the other person is so short-stacked that the only option, mathematically, for your opponent is to call? Or do you mean something else?

NYCNative
06-01-2005, 08:33 AM
If I have a big stack in the SB and there's a shortie in the BB, I'll push any two. I'm usually 40% to bust a player and it's 100% not gonna hurt me too much if I don't.

Degen
06-01-2005, 08:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What factors do you consider when deciding to use this play

[/ QUOTE ]

A: What % of time will they fold
B: What % of time will they call
C: How much will i gain if they fold
D: What % of time will I lose if called
E: What % of time will I suckout if called
F: How much will I lose when i don't suckout
G: How much will I win if I do suckout
H: How much will my Folding Equity be ruined if i steal

H is an intangible

A-G are used in an equation that you should be approximating almost instanly when looking at stack sizes and blinds every time it is folded to you and when you have FE on somebody who has open raised.

When: (A*C)+(E*G) is significantly greater than (B*F) then you should seriously consider pushing...unless you are worried that H will be too negatively affected or there are other considerations such as somebody being all in next hand and you are 4 handed etc.

Possibly a math person (which I am not) will find an error in my equation, but you get the general idea...

Andre

Jason Strasser
06-01-2005, 08:51 AM
One situation: 4 handed 3 pay. you are button and have lots of chips and 2 medium stacks in blinds. UTG has 1 chip and folds.

Now expand on that idea and find your happy spot depending on your game conditions.

-Jason

EasilyFound
06-01-2005, 09:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I have a big stack in the SB and there's a shortie in the BB, I'll push any two. I'm usually 40% to bust a player and it's 100% not gonna hurt me too much if I don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Now I understand what you meant.

ewing55
06-01-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But when they do call and you suckout with you -40% they get soooooo..... pissed and cuss you out for the next 5 minutes. I've even had them follow me to another couple tables and complain to the players on those tables. Is it really worth it? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

-------------Jeff

sleech
06-01-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But when they do call and you suckout with you -40% they get soooooo..... pissed and cuss you out for the next 5 minutes. I've even had them follow me to another couple tables and complain to the players on those tables. Is it really worth it? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

-------------Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif