PDA

View Full Version : Damage Control Bluff Push

NYCNative
06-01-2005, 07:23 AM
The situation in my case has been I badly misplay a hand pre-flop and/or post-flop but it can be modified for good players too... Say you miss on on a flop and you make a continuation-type bet that gets smooth-called or you have a post-flop raise that gets called.

The turn is a scare card - maybe a third spde or it paired up the middle card or a straight seems to have hit. Of course it missed you - your hand is in even worse shape now. But villain doesn't know that and maybe villain is as scared as you are.

You push. Villain folds the better hand.

The question is whether this is a viable strategy that can be employed by a smart player or the last refuge for the poor player.

Messy_Jesse
06-01-2005, 07:39 AM
Sure. Its about playing the players, not the cards. In this situation, the biggest thing that I think you can do is to make sure to bet enough to scare them off. If you bet something small and they call again, you really have no idea where you are at. At the turn, bet the pot or something close, and make them show you their intentions and reveal their hand strength. Usually if they call I'll check fold the river, but if they appear weak, I'll push. (sometimes I end up busting out with a really weak hand, but a lot of times I'll pick up 300 chips or so).

Jess