PDA

View Full Version : Was this a bad play I got lucky on?

CaptSensible
06-01-2005, 06:17 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t820)
SB (t1890)
BB (t745)
UTG (t1050)
UTG+1 (t760)
MP1 (t595)
MP2 (t950)
MP3 (t750)
CO (t440)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t30, MP1 calls t30, MP2 calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t30, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t180) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t30</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t60</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, SB folds, UTG+1 calls t90.

Turn: (t510) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero goes all in 640 chips, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: t1150

curtains
06-01-2005, 06:20 AM
Yes you should immediately fold on the flop. When you have a hand like an ace with a weak kicker and flop top pair against a big field, most of the time you should not look at the flop and think that you have a good hand. After it comes to you bet and raised, this is a clear fold. You need to change the way you view your hand as the flop really wasn't all that good. There are some situations where that would be a decent flop, however this isn't one of them.

NYCNative
06-01-2005, 06:30 AM
Yes you got lucky. I limp with suited Ace-rag but I am doing it for flushes or the occassional spiking of my rag for two pairs or trips.

I hate your play on the flop. You reraise with TPCK? I fold to a bet and a raise, even of the donkish minimum varieties. You know you're beat unless you spike one of three outs.

Your turn push representing the flush was interesting. It worked out for you. I've done that before, a "damage control bluff," even though it really could cause more damage (and probably has before)... I've made stupid moves on a flop and then pushed a scary turn and got villain to fold with outright bluffs, representing a flush or straight or whatever. So that bailed you out and I kinda respect that move even though you will get slaughtered by most for making it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But you don't want to make a living at it, that's for sure... Especially against the donks who will still call that bet with their weak Ace (yet still stronger than yours) or with a four-flush draw themselves.

CaptSensible
06-01-2005, 06:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

most of the time you should not look at the flop and think that you have a good hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I actually didn't like my hand after the flop any more than i did before the flop. I kinda went on a gut instinct and previous info that my opponent didnt have the hand he was advertising. Still, I agree with you. I think I got really lucky on that one and should keep that kind of play to a minimum at the very least. I just wanted confirmation of this. Thanks for replying /images/graemlins/smile.gif

stripsqueez
06-01-2005, 07:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually didn't like my hand after the flop any more than i did before the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

you should like it less

you need to survive till the raffle - the only other option is to get something that is the best and bet with it

there are some exceptions but this is not close to one of those

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

stripsqueez
06-01-2005, 07:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the occassional spiking of my rag

[/ QUOTE ]

?

just because it has a rank below an ace doesnt mean its worthless

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

NYCNative
06-01-2005, 07:25 AM
Calling a crappy kicker a "rag" is pretty common.