PDA

View Full Version : Defend BB against TA

Supern
06-01-2005, 05:54 AM
What hands do you defend your BB against a Tight raiser (PFR 3-7%). The player is TA.

1. He raises from EP or MP first in. No callers.

2. He raises from MP with 2 limper.

3. He raises from LP with 3 limpers.

4. He raises from LP first in. SB folds.

What hands do you remove when he is a very tight raiser (PFR 1-3%)?

Supern
06-01-2005, 06:03 AM
My suggestions:

1. He raises from EP or MP first in. No callers.
AA-QQ (rr), JJ-99, AK, AJ-Ts, KQs. KJs (if raise is from MP)

2. He raises from MP with 2 limper.
AA-QQ (rr), JJ-66, AK-Q, AXs, KQ-Ts, KQ, QJs, JTs

3. He raises from LP with 3 limpers.
AA-QQ (rr), JJ-22, AK-Q, AXs, KXs, KQ, QJ-65s, QT-97s

4. He raises from LP first in. SB folds.
AA-99 (rr), 88-66, AK-Q(rr), AJ-T, KQ-J, QJ-JTs, QT-J9s

Is this too tight?

diebitter
06-01-2005, 06:12 AM
1.AA-QQ,AK, KQs - and you'd raise it back

2. Raise with AA-QQ,AK, call with JJ,TT,99,Axs,KQs

3. Same as 2 plus call with 88-22 (fold if you don't hit trips with these), and call with QJs-98s

4. same answer as 2, and take out the Axs, and replace with AQs-ATs

JaysonWeberFCP
06-01-2005, 06:22 AM
1. AA-JJ, AK

2. Raise with AA-JJ, AK Call with TT, 99 A-xs, KQs

3. Adding.. 88-33 (I believe in Caro's Philosophy with Ducks), Calling with QJs - 98s agreed.

4. This is where I'm gonna get yelled at... This is only if he's raising from Button or 1 off.
I call with nearly any two cards here if it's going to be HU. Down to 3-4s and 4-5os, I enjoy when a TA and I are in this pot together, this pot can be Taken without position here, If the flops safe... 9 or 10 high I Bet and 3bet if he raises.

I just began doing this about a month ago and it's worked well for me.. Now only against a TA, who's smart and capable of folding his hand if he hasn't improved.

Go ahead and flame /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Supern
06-01-2005, 06:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is where I'm gonna get yelled at... This is only if he's raising from Button or 1 off.
I call with nearly any two cards here if it's going to be HU. Down to 3-4s and 4-5os, I enjoy when a TA and I are in this pot together, this pot can be Taken without position here, If the flops safe... 9 or 10 high I Bet and 3bet if he raises.

I just began doing this about a month ago and it's worked well for me.. Now only against a TA, who's smart and capable of folding his hand if he hasn't improved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems a bit too frisky. You do this without a pair on the flop as well? I think you risk too much to win to little.

But it must feel good when he folds against your 4 high. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

diebitter
06-01-2005, 06:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

4. This is where I'm gonna get yelled at... This is only if he's raising from Button or 1 off.

Go ahead and flame /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't call foul on this - it's not a fishy play. This is one of these personal preference things, and if it suits your style, go for it.

I'd back off on it in a given session if it doesn't succeed the first time, and the TA then has a make on your style (for that given TA - I'd try it on the TA sitting next to him for one more go though - or maybe go find a bette game /images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

itsmesteve
06-01-2005, 06:48 AM
IF the players stats given are over a big enough sample to be trusted, he's not pulling many steal or positional raises, imo, and is simply raising premium hands. Often players like this refuse to go away post flop. Therefore, when it is HU only play back with hands that have a decent chance to flop a good hand/draw and WON'T BE DOMINATED (ie KT, QJ, etc.,). Reraise with your own premium starting hands.

With other limpers in the pot, smaller PP and suited connectors go up and value, and i'd throw in some of them.

To me, someone who raises around 5% of there hands (unless they're only raising in LP, which you'd have to observe) isn't stealing, and you should play as though the raise is legitimate (because it is). All that said, I'd want to have a couple hundred hands played with this opponenet to "trust" the stats.

Supern
06-01-2005, 06:56 AM
I have a guy I have 2000 hands on. He has a VPiP of 10% and a PFR of 3%. Total aggresion is 2.3 and he has a showdown win % at 45. He is up 3.5 bb/100.

One hand he raised and only the BB called. The flop was Axx and BB bet. The tight player raised and BB called. BB checked both turn and river and called tight players bet.
Tight player had KK and BB had AT for the win.

This guy is hard to play against I can tell you that.
Shouldn't BB just tried the check-call line against such a player all the way?
Obviously this tight player is overaggresive.